Bedrest

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485
Bedrest

After my ultrasound with Maternal Fetal Medicine on Friday I was sent to the hospital as my cervical length was really short. I had to have surgery to put a cerclage (sp?) in and now am on bedrest til this baby comes which hopefully will be November but there is chance of pre term with how short it is.

Needless to say i am a bit worried but trying to just relax as much as possible and get used to temp life on bed rest. I feel bad that I can't help my DH with things around the house or caring for our son.

Anyone have experience on bedrest?

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 04/30/09
Posts: 2257

:lurk:

I"m sorry for the stress of dealing with the cerclage and bed rest because of your cervical length. I was on moderate bed rest from about 23 weeks on with DD and then on strict bed rest from 28 weeks until I delivered at 36 weeks. It's trying at times because it's boring and it's hard not to think "I could be doing x y z" but the best thing to do is keep yourself busy with projects you can do (to do lists for DH/Family, things needed for baby, nursery ideas, crafts, reading etc) and stay social through social media, texting/phone calls etc. It gets lonely fast if you don't keep some form of company when you can. GL and while it's hard at times and feels like forever, it's worth it in the long run. After I met with the MFM I felt so much better about everything that was going on. My own OB/MW team was great, but the reassurance from a specialist was the icing on the cake for me. Good luck with everything!

Kier's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 03/12/12
Posts: 1973

I have had pre term contractions with each of my pregnancies. Its hard, but in the end its worth it Smile If you have netflix, or something like that, that helps. As well as finding good books to read. I also love painting, or drawing... journaling helps too Smile Are you still doing the progesterone shots? My step sister had an incompetent cervix and had those plus the stitch, and bedrest, got her to term with her last baby. I hope the next 3+ months go fast for you, and that you are able to find ways to keep yourself sane.

-x-Amber-x-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 10/08/06
Posts: 642

Ugh I am so sorry to hear this!! Im glad that they caught things though and got your cerclage into place before something bad happened!! I would say stock up on some good books and movies! Maybe get some kids movies that your LO can sit in the bed and watch with you! I was on bedrest for a couple weeks at the beg of this pregnancy and it was hard, but just think of that LO baking inside of you! Good luck!

rmc
rmc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 07/27/03
Posts: 340

I am sorry, I was just thinking about that recently too, what if I was put on bed rest for a lenght of time. I don't know how my family or myself would handle that and my job too... I don't have any words of advice really, I just want to offer some support. Good luck and hope you find a way to keep your sanity!

alwayssmile's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/26/07
Posts: 14483

I'm so sorry to hear this! I don't have any advice, but lots of ((hugs)). :grouphug:

mandynz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 01/29/12
Posts: 755

Wow, I am sorry you are on bed rest...I'm glad they managed to find it early and they can keep your baby in there baking!

AkMomma07's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/04/07
Posts: 1159

(((hugs))) Sorry to hear you are having to deal with this Sad

Danifo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/07/10
Posts: 1377

How severe is the bed rest?

In early pregnancy (both times)I was on restricted activity for 8-12 weeks (No lifting anything heavier than my lunch bag, No standing or walking more than 15 minutes.... ) due to heavy bleeding if I did any of those things. I was still at work but found being at home hard because I felt useless. with dd2 I hated not being able to pick dd1 up.

When I was on hospital bed rest after my water broke, I was only allowed up to go to the bathroom. I read several books, organized our digital photos, and watched 3 years worth of keeping up with the kardashians because of a Marathon on E.

Good luck and I hope you get to stay on bed rest at home..

claireCJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 04/04/12
Posts: 742

Sorry you are on bedrest! I hope the next few months fly by for you. I have never been on bedrest so I don't have much advice or help for you. I would get myself some good books to read or DVDs to watch though. Smile

Kier's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 03/12/12
Posts: 1973

do you have childcare? I know that if I have to go on bedrest at any point this time around thats a concern that I have. With DD my sister came to help, though ended up just adding more stress, and not being much help. She actually left the day I ended up being admitted to the hospital (ugg. long story, and I could go on and on GRR). any who, so this time around it helps that DS1 will be in 1st grade, DS2 will have 1/2 day school 4 days a week... so, it may just be about finding someone to take DD and get DS2 from school those 4 days, and keeping them till DH gets home... DS1 usually gets home before DH, but he is pretty independent at 6 compared to the other 2. Oh well, just gotta take it as it comes Wink

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485

"Kier" wrote:

I have had pre term contractions with each of my pregnancies. Its hard, but in the end its worth it Smile If you have netflix, or something like that, that helps. As well as finding good books to read. I also love painting, or drawing... journaling helps too Smile Are you still doing the progesterone shots? My step sister had an incompetent cervix and had those plus the stitch, and bedrest, got her to term with her last baby. I hope the next 3+ months go fast for you, and that you are able to find ways to keep yourself sane.

Yep doing the shots. Have been since week 16. Good to hear she made it to terms.

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485

"Danifo" wrote:

How severe is the bed rest?

In early pregnancy (both times)I was on restricted activity for 8-12 weeks (No lifting anything heavier than my lunch bag, No standing or walking more than 15 minutes.... ) due to heavy bleeding if I did any of those things. I was still at work but found being at home hard because I felt useless. with dd2 I hated not being able to pick dd1 up.

When I was on hospital bed rest after my water broke, I was only allowed up to go to the bathroom. I read several books, organized our digital photos, and watched 3 years worth of keeping up with the kardashians because of a Marathon on E.

Good luck and I hope you get to stay on bed rest at home..

Modified bed rest
Only can get up for shower, to eat and go to doc appointments but have to have someone take me. I can work from home with a laptop which is a bit a blessing.

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485

"Kier" wrote:

do you have childcare? I know that if I have to go on bedrest at any point this time around thats a concern that I have. With DD my sister came to help, though ended up just adding more stress, and not being much help. She actually left the day I ended up being admitted to the hospital (ugg. long story, and I could go on and on GRR). any who, so this time around it helps that DS1 will be in 1st grade, DS2 will have 1/2 day school 4 days a week... so, it may just be about finding someone to take DD and get DS2 from school those 4 days, and keeping them till DH gets home... DS1 usually gets home before DH, but he is pretty independent at 6 compared to the other 2. Oh well, just gotta take it as it comes Wink

My husband is a stay at home daat the mment so that helps.

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485

Thank you everyone for your ideas and support