C-section mommies?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
mandynz's picture
Joined: 01/29/12
Posts: 755
C-section mommies?

For those of you who had a C-section last time, what are your plans this time? Is anyone else torn?

I have been very set from the start of my pregnancy on a VBAC. I wanted a completely natural birth with DD but that didn't happen from the very start (I was induced at 42weeks). So this time I thought, 'this is my last opportunity to give birth naturally' since this will be my last baby.

I'm not so sure now though, I don't have a huge amount of trust in my midwife. My recent experience with her telling me that I shouldn't go in to get fluids was ridiculous, I was told the dr that there was no way I could have gotten better at home in the state I was in because my dehydration was just making my sickness worse. But I don't have a huge desire to find a new m/w either because I kind of feel like they are all the same...I had a terrible experience with my m/w with DD too. It would be so much easier and less stressful to just say 'book me in for a c-section on this date'. I am also a little bit worried about going through another 16 hours of labor and then needing another c-section because I want to be able to enjoy the moment when this baby comes into the world.

Such a hard decision! Looking forward to seeing what you ladies are choosing to do..

alwayssmile's picture
Joined: 08/26/07
Posts: 14483

All midwives are NOT the same. Just like OBs. Some are good. Some are not. ((hugs))

I am planning a VBAC this time. I was induced with DS at 41.5 weeks and never progressed past a 4 before the doctor said I needed a c/s (I did 24 hours of labor). I posted my appt with my practice today (I saw an OB today, but normally I see a midwife from the same practice), and I wrote a more detailed one for DS's BB here. For me personally it's an easy decision to have a VBAC. I want more than 2 kids and the risks of having more than one repeat c/s definitely affected my decision. I also do not have help for after this birth and did not have help after my c/s with DS. Recovery from a c/s was rough and I had an easy time of it compared to many. I do not want that awful recovery (or even a worse one!) to deal with again. I know that if I don't try I'll be wondering "what if" for the rest of my life.

ETA: While pregnant with DS I moved to Del Rio, TX - it's on the border of Mexico. My care options there were the OB who speaks English or the OB who doesn't speak English. :roll: At 41 weeks I basically had the option to be induced or go to San Antonio 2.5 hours away to wait to go into labor (mind you my husband was in military training and couldn't join me in SA). When I went in for my induction I had zero progress. I wasn't dilated at all. After cervidil and pit contractions started and I labored for 24 hours. I had HORRIBLE back labor and the nurses had zero idea what to do for a natural labor. They yelled at me to stay in bed to be constantly monitored. I got the epi and that caused problems (I was MISERABLE and DS's heart beat went waaaaay down a few times for several minutes at a time). Turns out he was sunny side up and being in bed was the worst thing for me to encourage him to turn and descend. *sigh* It was pretty much the exact opposite of what I wanted. I'm so, so thankful to have moved and have the opportunity to VBAC.

jgriffith's picture
Joined: 08/20/10
Posts: 420

This will be my 4th c-section. I'm pretty much committed. Smile
I find them very easy. I have very little pain and am back on my feet quickly. I think because that area, where they make the incision, is so numb now!

gabeminamom's picture
Joined: 01/09/11
Posts: 272

This will be my 3rd. My personal opinion and I don't knock anyone for thinking or wanting different, I don't want to involve my baby with any type of "risk". I labored 30 hours with DS and my pelvic bone didn't open up to let him out so I had to have an emer. c sec cause of the stress he was in and heart decels. With DD she was early and I labored for 12 hours waiting for an anethesiologist and then had the 2nd c sec. I hardly had any complication with DS. With DD, the doc told me I had adhesions. My uterus grew and attached itself to my abdominal muscle all the way up to my diaphram. So I had adhesions all the way up. It was a painful recovery but worth it and I got thru it just fine. So my doc at that time did say that if we had a 3rd it would be worse. I'm ok with that. I too am still numb and it's tender to touch and its been 7 years. But for me, I don't want to risk anything so I am going for the c section. Just my personal opinion. Also having Placenta previa right now, and with all the scar tissue, who knows if it will move. So just better for me and my peace of mind Smile

Kier's picture
Joined: 03/12/12
Posts: 1973

I personally havent been in this situation. To me, I really think it is up to you and what you feel is best for you and your baby. I dont like hearing people bash one way or the other. Both work, and in the end have the same common goal: happy healthy baby and mommy. What ever you decide is best for you, then go for it Smile

mandynz's picture
Joined: 01/29/12
Posts: 755

Gosh it sounds like you guys all have your decisions made and have made good decisions for you! Might have a look around for websites of midwives...

Joined: 08/11/11
Posts: 262

Definitely look around for another midwife - I'm sure you can find someone that you feel comfortable with and that will support you in your decision. You'll know what's right for you and your little one, and that is the best decision you can make for your baby, the one that gets baby here healthy and happy!

alwayssmile's picture
Joined: 08/26/07
Posts: 14483

"mandynz" wrote:

Gosh it sounds like you guys all have your decisions made and have made good decisions for you! Might have a look around for websites of midwives...

You've still got plenty of time to decide. I've known ladies who were willing to VBAC up to a certain point and then have a c/s (like go to 40 or 41 weeks and if no progress plan a c/s). I've known others who have gone back and forth on this issue till 36/37 weeks. It is important that you research the risks of both (cause they both carry very serious risks) and talk with your provider about them honestly (and not the provider scare you into one or the other!). My big debate is what to do if I reach 42 weeks since that is my providers' cut off - plan for a c/s the next day or agree to be induced? Induction greatly decreases a woman's chances of having a VBAC and it increases the risks of uterine rupture (which is normally less than 1%), but the risks of a c/s complication (which there are many *sigh*) go up with each c/s and having a 2nd pretty much seals the deal on how many kids I can have and how they have to be born. Not easy to decide!

rmc
rmc's picture
Joined: 07/27/03
Posts: 340

This is my last child. So, I either go for c-section number 3 or try for a VBAC. If baby appeared healthy, I was going to have the tubes tied right then and there. I do struggle with this decision though even though I am getting my tubes tied. With my very first, non progression and baby was stuck and had c-section and came out with a ring on her head where she was stuck. 2nd, I just did the c-section and it just felt so weird to me, I was not in labor at all. So being my last do I try and possibly end in c-section again anyways or just do my 3rd section and get my tubes tied. Good luck to those making this decision, I know it is not easy... I have never even seen or met a midwife before so I have no experience their (nobody I know around here that I know of has used one, weird?).

alwayssmile's picture
Joined: 08/26/07
Posts: 14483
Honey3.14's picture
Joined: 04/07/12
Posts: 2094

I asked my doctor about it at my last appointment and he explained to me that with any birth theres automatically a 25% chance of c-section. Once you've had a c-section, the chances of having a repeat go up to 40%. If it was a medical necessity (truly being rushed into the O.R. for emergency surgery, as I was, after pushing for three hours, I had the same thing as Gabeminamom where my pelivc bone didn not allow him through), then you're chances go up to over 75% chance of repeat c-section. Thats too high a risk for me to take. I almost lost my son. I will not go through that again. And being that I'll have my tubes tied at the same time, it makes the most sense for them to do one surgery and tie them at the same time that he or she comes out.

Joined: 07/07/08
Posts: 325

:lurk:

It is definitely a decision that is completely up to what feels comfortable and good to you. Not liking your MW stinks and maybe finding someone else would be good.

I am having a 3rd repeat c-section. I had an emergency c-section with my son which was very scary after being in labor for 34 hours and pushing for three hours. His head was sideways and they tried to help him spin, and nothing would work, he started having a lot of decells and at that point I was just done.

For my DD I was so scared to go into labor again that I opted for a repeat c-section. Both of my recoveries have been great and I had very minimal scarring from my c-sections. The hospital where I deliver does not let you do vbac after two c-sections, and I am comfortable with this. They have great support staff and are very baby friendly. You don't do instant skin to skin but as soon as you're c-section is complete and you're transferred to your room they encourage it. You don't go to a recovery room just your regular room that you stay in.

mandynz's picture
Joined: 01/29/12
Posts: 755

It is such an individual thing! that's what makes it so hard!!! There is no right or wrong answer Sad

I know that if I had this baby closer to DD that I would have definitely opted for a repeat because having an emergency c-section was just so terrifying, I remember thinking over and over 'is my baby going to make it'. And because I was passing in and out of consciousness I was so confused about what was going on. When DD cried I didn't even realize that it was her crying until somebody told me that my baby was here and that was her crying! I couldn't to see her for what felt like forever, they were still stitching me up and they were checking DD because they thought that she might have had brain damage and something wrong with her jaw. I know people have had much worse experiences than I did, but It certainly wasn't much fun. I think the more I think about the experience the more I want to just go for a repeat...I wonder If I just wait to make the call when I actually speak with the OB.

Also thank you for the links, I had a read over...Its quite cool to see all the facts/risks you don't usually see!

E.T.A - had a massive chat with DH and Mum today, we all decided that it might be best if I opt for a C-Section. So, final decision made and I'm happy...I just want a happy healthy baby and either method of delivery makes no difference to me. I think repeat C-section will be less stressful for us all though.

nibor_55's picture
Joined: 02/13/06
Posts: 93

**lurker**
Hi ladies, im Robin. this is 3rd baby, I'm due Nov 1st. My 1st baby was emergency c/s due to position, infection and supposedly a too small pelvis. It was my first so I was naive and scared. It wasn't until I was 6 months with my second that I decide to do my research and try for VBAC. I even had to drive 2 hours away to the delivery hospital. It was the best decision ever! I prefer that over a surgery any day and I plan on doing it again. Smile GL on your decision, there's tons of info out there.