For those of you who had a C-section last time, what are your plans this time? Is anyone else torn?
I have been very set from the start of my pregnancy on a VBAC. I wanted a completely natural birth with DD but that didn't happen from the very start (I was induced at 42weeks). So this time I thought, 'this is my last opportunity to give birth naturally' since this will be my last baby.
I'm not so sure now though, I don't have a huge amount of trust in my midwife. My recent experience with her telling me that I shouldn't go in to get fluids was ridiculous, I was told the dr that there was no way I could have gotten better at home in the state I was in because my dehydration was just making my sickness worse. But I don't have a huge desire to find a new m/w either because I kind of feel like they are all the same...I had a terrible experience with my m/w with DD too. It would be so much easier and less stressful to just say 'book me in for a c-section on this date'. I am also a little bit worried about going through another 16 hours of labor and then needing another c-section because I want to be able to enjoy the moment when this baby comes into the world.
Such a hard decision! Looking forward to seeing what you ladies are choosing to do..
All midwives are NOT the same. Just like OBs. Some are good. Some are not. ((hugs))
I am planning a VBAC this time. I was induced with DS at 41.5 weeks and never progressed past a 4 before the doctor said I needed a c/s (I did 24 hours of labor). I posted my appt with my practice today (I saw an OB today, but normally I see a midwife from the same practice), and I wrote a more detailed one for DS's BB here. For me personally it's an easy decision to have a VBAC. I want more than 2 kids and the risks of having more than one repeat c/s definitely affected my decision. I also do not have help for after this birth and did not have help after my c/s with DS. Recovery from a c/s was rough and I had an easy time of it compared to many. I do not want that awful recovery (or even a worse one!) to deal with again. I know that if I don't try I'll be wondering "what if" for the rest of my life.
ETA: While pregnant with DS I moved to Del Rio, TX - it's on the border of Mexico. My care options there were the OB who speaks English or the OB who doesn't speak English. At 41 weeks I basically had the option to be induced or go to San Antonio 2.5 hours away to wait to go into labor (mind you my husband was in military training and couldn't join me in SA). When I went in for my induction I had zero progress. I wasn't dilated at all. After cervidil and pit contractions started and I labored for 24 hours. I had HORRIBLE back labor and the nurses had zero idea what to do for a natural labor. They yelled at me to stay in bed to be constantly monitored. I got the epi and that caused problems (I was MISERABLE and DS's heart beat went waaaaay down a few times for several minutes at a time). Turns out he was sunny side up and being in bed was the worst thing for me to encourage him to turn and descend. *sigh* It was pretty much the exact opposite of what I wanted. I'm so, so thankful to have moved and have the opportunity to VBAC.
Last edited by alwayssmile; 06-13-2012 at 07:24 PM.
This will be my 4th c-section. I'm pretty much committed.
I find them very easy. I have very little pain and am back on my feet quickly. I think because that area, where they make the incision, is so numb now!
Katherine 7/5/02 Olivia 8/2/04 Freddie 5/31/07 Ellie 5/24/11 and Owen Benjamin 10/31/12
This will be my 3rd. My personal opinion and I don't knock anyone for thinking or wanting different, I don't want to involve my baby with any type of "risk". I labored 30 hours with DS and my pelvic bone didn't open up to let him out so I had to have an emer. c sec cause of the stress he was in and heart decels. With DD she was early and I labored for 12 hours waiting for an anethesiologist and then had the 2nd c sec. I hardly had any complication with DS. With DD, the doc told me I had adhesions. My uterus grew and attached itself to my abdominal muscle all the way up to my diaphram. So I had adhesions all the way up. It was a painful recovery but worth it and I got thru it just fine. So my doc at that time did say that if we had a 3rd it would be worse. I'm ok with that. I too am still numb and it's tender to touch and its been 7 years. But for me, I don't want to risk anything so I am going for the c section. Just my personal opinion. Also having Placenta previa right now, and with all the scar tissue, who knows if it will move. So just better for me and my peace of mind
I personally havent been in this situation. To me, I really think it is up to you and what you feel is best for you and your baby. I dont like hearing people bash one way or the other. Both work, and in the end have the same common goal: happy healthy baby and mommy. What ever you decide is best for you, then go for it
Definitely look around for another midwife - I'm sure you can find someone that you feel comfortable with and that will support you in your decision. You'll know what's right for you and your little one, and that is the best decision you can make for your baby, the one that gets baby here healthy and happy!
Erin + DH - 10/6/06
W - 11/14/08
D - 9/21/10
someone new! - 11/5/12
This is my last child. So, I either go for c-section number 3 or try for a VBAC. If baby appeared healthy, I was going to have the tubes tied right then and there. I do struggle with this decision though even though I am getting my tubes tied. With my very first, non progression and baby was stuck and had c-section and came out with a ring on her head where she was stuck. 2nd, I just did the c-section and it just felt so weird to me, I was not in labor at all. So being my last do I try and possibly end in c-section again anyways or just do my 3rd section and get my tubes tied. Good luck to those making this decision, I know it is not easy... I have never even seen or met a midwife before so I have no experience their (nobody I know around here that I know of has used one, weird?).