I had my weekly check up and found out I tested positive for Strep B. My doctor said all this means is I have to have anti-biotics while I'm in labor. This worries me a little bit but she didn't seem to be too concerned... I think it just worried me a little because I knew someone who needed a c-section because of the Strep B... If I need a C-section, by all means I will have one with no complaints, I just want baby to be ok. I trust my doctor so if she says all I need are anti-biotics, then I guess thats that... I just wasn't expecting to hear that today.
Other than that, I haven't gained any weight (finally it stopped! lol...) my b/p is 100/67, and she said I was "starting to open" and my cervix was short. Not really sure what the cervix being short means, I should have asked.
It's no big deal if you know in advance. The antibiotics will take care of it! I have had positive some pregnancies and negative others. Never heard of needing a c-section for it though!
Katherine 7/5/02 Olivia 8/2/04 Freddie 5/31/07 Ellie 5/24/11 and Owen Benjamin 10/31/12
I was group B strep positive with DD, and really it didn't change anything about the delivery except that I needed anitbiotics. I was given penicillin before I was allowed into the birth pool, but they also had to do 10-15 minutes of a fetal monitoring strip anyway, so it didn't actually delay that a bit. Then I think I needed a second dose later on? I can't remember. But she was born totally naturally without any drugs (other than the penicillin, lol). No one even mentioned c-section to me the whole time.
I don't know why your friend would have needed a c-section because of GBS... did they not know about it beforehand? Did she develop a fever during labor? Had her water been broken for a long time? GBS can be dangerous, but usually only if you don't treat it with antibiotics. Knowing you have it and treating it accordingly shouldn't put you at any higher risk of c-section than a woman who is GBS negative.
Last edited by harmonybear; 10-23-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Harmony, JM, A, & M Our preschool-at-home blog
6w5d on 6/19/07 hb of 107 bpm 10/1/07. Lost at 7w6d
Sorry you got that unexpected news, but as PP said, don't worry! As for your cervix being short, it is long during the pregnancy and will begin to shorten (or efface) and get softer and dilate as delivery gets closer. So it's a good thing!
I think allvthe ppers have pretty much covered it and answered your questions I too wonder the same things harmony brought up about your friend. GBS alone is no reason for a section. I tested pos with ny first, neg with the 2nd two, and will get my results for this one tomorrow. Thats great that you are already making progress, how exciting. Pretty soon our board will be blowing up with birth announcements, I cant wait
Agree with everyone else...I was neg with my first, pos for 2nd and this one. It's fine to get the antibiotics and shouldn't impact your birth plan at all! Great news about your appointment!! Looking forward to mine this afternoon
Erin + DH - 10/6/06
W - 11/14/08
D - 9/21/10
someone new! - 11/5/12
I honestly wouldn't worry one bit about the GBS + result. Other than being stuck to an IV off and on during labor it's not a huge deal. Wanna know the messed up part? Just because you tested + now doesn't mean you'll be + during birth and the same is true vice versa for those testing -. They just can't test and get results fast enough to test closer to EDDs with actually birth days being so unpredictable! Most babies have no issues being born to a mom who has active GBS. Those that do, you'll know it because they'll show signs shortly after birth. My BFF was + and being a FTM decided to wait to go in till she was certain she was in active labor. Well, by the time she got there she was 8cm and never got through the first round of IV before pushing! No one was concerned and it didn't affect her birth one bit. They just stayed in the hospital a bit longer than the vaginal birth norm there, but they also declined the newborn antibiotics.
I'll find out tomorrow my status. Hoping I'm negative because I'd rather show up late in labor and just push out my VBAC baby than be stuck to an IV and monitors for hours.
Short cervix for a FTM at this point is a good sign! Woot!
I love you all so much <3 Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Honestly, the girl I know that had the c-section and also had strep B is a friend of a friend and i've only met her once. I met her this summer she was over my friends house with her adorable 3 year old son so we were talking pregnancy and such - she made it sound like she had the c-section because of strep B (and this was the first time in my life i ever heard of strep B), so i may have misunderstood her, now i'm guessing the c-section was for another reason.
thanks again, you girls are seriously the best.
I tested + this time too. Never did with the other 2. Well with DD I didn't make it to take the test but I'm repeat C sec's anyway. They even said they didn't know why they were gonna test me. I ws told that this also doesn't mean I have it actively, but can just be a carrier. then the midwife told me not to even worry about it. So I stopped asking right then and there.