I have no idea what to do about several things... all are regarding issues around 'me being in the hospital for 3 days'. Let me start with... I don't generally mind being in the hospital (for birth). I get to relax & people are there to take care of me. I just hang out with my newborn baby. No cooking, no cleaning, no immediate responsibilities.
With that said...
I'm worried about what to do with DD (she will be almost 2 then). She has never spent the night away from me & I'm not sure she will get the opportunity to do so prior to giving birth for multiple reasons.
Options for Issue #1:
- I'm seriously considering having DH return home in the evenings to put DD to bed & to keep her routine as similar as possible. He has been doing most of her bedtime routine for several months now in preparation.
- My parents are close & get along well with DD. But my mom isn't in good health & can't take care of her by herself. So, my dad will have to take off work (which won't be a problem) to help.
- My dad doesn't do any care taking like diapers. He will be there to assist, put DD in the carseat, drive & make sure mom doesn't lose her.
- My parents will be keeping DD during the day & will bring her to visit us at the hospital in the afternoons, I think. Then DH can take her home when he leaves.
[I will mention that most of my fear revolves around everyone else's ability to care for DD. I know this sounds controlling & maybe it is but... Things I have witnessed/dealt with... my mom means well but doesn't think. She has let go of DD's hand in a busy parking lot & DD took off running (I had to catch her). My mom can't carry DD nor run to catch her. While changing her diaper, she didn't hold DD's feet & subsquently got poo all over DD's shoes. She went to change DD's diaper without me at the drs office. The problem... she didn't have a diaper. So she removed the diaper & then was going to let her come back to the carpeted waiting room without one (my DD is NOT potty trained). She keeps her house packed with stuff/boxes & doesn't have a bedroom for DD to sleep in or even room to place a pack n play. Now, I do have a reason to worry, right??? This isn't me just finding something to freak out about, right?
I'm not sure if I need someone with me at the hospital overnight, etc. I'm having a Csect (so I won't be able to move around immediately) & the baby will be rooming in with me the entire time. I will also be BFing. I can't remember how "drugged" I was last time or how much help I did or did not need.
Options for Issue #2:
- I'm also considering having DH be off work on Tues (Csect day), go to work (Wed-Thurs) & be off work Fri (going home day). This way he will save his days off & be able to be at home with me & the LOs the next Mon-Wed (he doesn't work weekends).
- Will I be ok at the hospital by myself... post Csect, with a newborn rooming in & BFing?
- I can ask my MIL to stay with me at the hospital. She is a very helpful type of person but there are issues if you've read any of my past posts. She's similar in many ways to the mom in the TV show "Everybody Loves Raymond". And, my DH is VERY similar to the Ray in the same show.
So, what do you think? I want this figured out so I can stop stressing over it.