Ok, this is not meant to turn into some kind of debate. I felt I had to vaccinate Abby because I worked in a childcare and she went with me at 6 weeks old. DCFS required it unless you had a religious reason. I think you even had to have it signed by your pastor/preist.
This time, I will be a SAHM and I'm considering at least dealying vaccines or spreading them out a little more. Abby had no reactions or ill effects from any vaccines given, but it's just something I've been thinking about. Not really because of the scare of autism or any of that, but just because that's a lot of medicine and other things being injected into a tiny little baby all at once.
So my question is what is everyone else planning to do or have done in the past. Again, I don't want to turn this into a debate but just trying to form a strategy. I didn't really know I had a choice in the matter before. Just thought I had to do whatever the pediatrician said.
We will vaccinate on schedule as well except for maybe the flu vaccine unless it is the nasal spray. DS had a really bad reaction to the shot, but did fine with the spray.
DS - Stephen 7/5/06 (born 6 weeks early)
DD - Sophia 9/16/11 (born at 37 weeks, 6 days)
Professional birth photos:
Vaccinate on schedule here too! The only thing I delayed with DS was the flu vaccine because he just turned 6mo old in Dec, so I felt it was too early. This one I will do the same because everything was fine with DS and the fact that DS and this little girl will be going to a in home daycare.
We stayed on schedule with both boys. They're both in daycare and I just would rather be safe than sorry and have them pick up something bad.
I did quite a bit of research on vaccines prior to consenting. I will follow a similar protocol with DS as I have with DD.
I refused the Hep B at the hospital. I felt that I would rather have the ped monitor all her vaccines rather than possibly mixing different brands of vaccines.
I allowed DD to receive HIB, Pc, Rotavirus & Pertussis (part of DTaP) since they are specifically important to the infant stage regarding prevention/protection. After researching, I also allowed Hep B & Polio since the known side effects, etc are less than some others. However, this info varies brand to brand.
I've had chickenpox twice and my immunity cannot be confirmed with a titer test. Since DD was so small (she just hit 20 lbs at 19 mo) and the fact that this is a live virus type of vaccine plus my questionable immunity, I decided to delay her chickenpox vaccine until she is older. Now that I'm pg, I have to delay since I have questionable immunity.
I also chose to delay the live virus MMR until 2-4 years old (I haven't decided yet). After reading the research, many of the worst side effects are lessened after the child is older.
I chose to delay the Hep A as well until she is two. The side effects also lessen with age.
Neither DD, myself or my DH take a flu shot.
** With all of this said, I'm a SAHM with no other school age children. If my child was going to be in a different situation, I would have reevaluated my choices based on that info.
*** I found "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Robert Sears a helpful read. The info is laid out in a user friendly way. It isn't an anti-vaccine book either so the info is very helpful & not biased. I wish the combined Aluminum content in vaccines would be officially checked like the eventual removal of Mercury. I do like the schedule of spreading out the vaccines more to lessen the amounts of Aluminum a child receives at any given time. When you add up the amounts, it is quite staggering in such a tiny body... especially since it is more than they allow for adults.
There's what we do... HTH! Good luck with your research! I'm with you... I hope this doesn't turn into a "heated" thread.
We do all vaccines except flu and chicken pox. I figure if the kids hit adolescence with out getting chicken pox they can get it then. I chose to vaccinate because where DH is from down in Mexico children really get these diseases, so when we go down there I want them protected.
We've vaccinated DD completely on schedule
Callie Ruth *** June 4, 2008
Conor Brian *** October 4, 2011
My October Space