Ear Infection WWYD

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joined: 06/22/10
Posts: 5602
Ear Infection WWYD

Ok I am pretty sure Lucas has an ear infection and DH is being completely useless and pissing me off right now. He is not giving me any insight whatsoever and is being pissy so I don't know what to do.

Earlier this afternoon I noticed Lucas was really hot so I took his temp and he had a low fever (99.3) He has been acting completely normal besides being a little extra cranky. Last night he spent 2.5 hours screaming from 12-2:30am and I had mentioned to DH last night that he kept putting the right side of his head to his shoulder but we were so tired and frustrated i didn't think more of it. I had finally given him tempra and he went to sleep. This morning he woke up and was fine until this afternoon and now he is having screaming fits again that are coming and going suddenly. I have given him more tempra and he is running around in a diaper, but I don't know what to do. Obviously I need to take him to the Dr. but how serious is this? Can it wait until I get an appt or should I take him to the hospital? He is also having diarrhea 1-2 times a day. The part where I don't know what to do is for tomorrow. I don't know if I should stay home and take him to the Dr. I am not guaranteed to get an appt because my Dr. isn't always in the office and I don't know what days she is. But I can't take him to daycare with a fever. DH is just telling me to do whatever i want to do which is not helpful at all. What would you ladies do? i hate to see him in pain:(

stacymh's picture
Joined: 03/16/10
Posts: 1807

I know our daycare doesn't consider it a fever until it is 100.4 F. That is a statewide reg. If the pain reliever helps him, I would probably wait until tomorrow, if I couldn't get an appointment with my doc, I may consider taking him to the hospital or an urgent care clinic. Good luck, it is no fun with a sick baby. I hope Lucas starts feeling better.

BuckeyeK's picture
Joined: 10/23/06
Posts: 3087

I, myself, would alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofin (or just do Tylenol) for the pain and wait for the dr appointment. If they can't get him in Monday (but they should) then I'd go to urgent care. Since you can't take him to daycare, I'd stay home and get him to a dr. If your dr can't get you in for same day sick-baby appointments, I'd probably find a new dr or practice where even if your particular dr isn't there, you can see another doc in the practice.

Hope that helps! Sick kiddos are no fun! KUP!

TiggersMommy's picture
Joined: 02/14/10
Posts: 6043

"BuckeyeK" wrote:

I, myself, would alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofin (or just do Tylenol) for the pain and wait for the dr appointment. If they can't get him in Monday (but they should) then I'd go to urgent care. Since you can't take him to daycare, I'd stay home and get him to a dr. If your dr can't get you in for same day sick-baby appointments, I'd probably find a new dr or practice where even if your particular dr isn't there, you can see another doc in the practice.

Hope that helps! Sick kiddos are no fun! KUP!

ditto all that.

jolly11sd's picture
Joined: 02/02/05
Posts: 3327

Yes, what buckeye said.
Stay home with him tomorrow and get him into some sort of doctor if it is still bothering him. EI can clear on their own but should get checked, esp. if it is causing him a lot of pain. Similasan also sells over the counter ear ache drops that can offer some relief if it is a wait to see the doc. I think they sell that brand of homeopathic stuff outside the US.