Appointment went well - just one baby with a heartrate of 159. My EDD is March 3 (which is really close to what I had figured it to be based on O date). My favorite part was when we were discussing birth options. I told them I want to VBAC (this is the practice I saw when I was pregnant with DD1, switched to another with DD2 because they didn't do VBACs at all. They will now do VBACs if you go to the right hospital). We told them we were concerned we wouldn't make it to the VBAC friendly hospital because it is over an hour away. She told us we could go to (closer hospital where I delivered DD1 and ended up at after having DD2) if my labor was progressing too fast again, and that (hospital) would allow me to VBAC. But that (hospital) doesn't have 24 hour anesthesia, so if I go there during hours when they don't have anesthesia in house and I have a uterine scar rupture, they will "deliver the baby via c-section without anesthesia." DH and I were so shocked, I didn't even know what to say. After the fact, I wished I had asked if they warn all moms delivering at (hospital) that this is a possibility.
So now we have to decide what to do.
1. Homebirth - very expensive, not sure if we can afford it.
2. Hospital birth with questionably supportive staff. Hospital an hour + away.
3. Go back to the practice that saw me during DD2's pregnancy. They seem to be VBAC supportive, but appointments are an hour away, as is the hospital.
Yay for seeing your little blob and a HB! I am shocked that they told you they would do an emergency c/s without anesthesia if the scar ruptured. Oh my. Gosh, those are some choices to have between that hospital or a hospital an hour away that you may not make it to given how fast your labor went last time. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they money becomes available for you to have a HB so your not worried about getting somewhere in time with this LO.
Omg that is insane, a csection without anathestia. My hospital doesn,t have one sitting around all night, but there is always one onncall. When i had Ronin we just had to wait for them, but then again i live in a small town nothing is too far. You will work out the right option for you, hopefully you get an unexpected windfall which makes a homebirth the main contender. Tax returns will be coming in soon, could you use tax return money to help fund the homebirth
YAY for a great looking blob and a fantastic HB! :yahoo:
Ummmm....that kind of statement is scary! Eek. Those are not easy choices at all. ((hugs))
You say that it's questionably supportive staff an hour away - why is that? I think home birth is your best option IF you're able to figure out a way to make it affordable or find money falling out of the sky. I'll be sending money out of the sky vibes to you!!!
Option 2 is my usual OB practice (who I am calling questionably supportive). They are the ones that did my csection, & my repairs after my car delivery with DD2 (I ended up at the closest hospital). The hospital (call it hospital #1) and the OB office is about 20ish minutes from our house. However, these OBs apparently now have privileges at a new hospital (hospital #2), which is about an hour + away. So if we drive past #1 and go to #2, they will most likely be supportive of VBAC, so they say. I'm not sure I'm buying it. However, they are the attending drs at #1, so she also mentioned that if someone is laboring at #1 they will go there first, and if I'm at #2 I will just have who ever is on call there (not even necessarily someone from my practice).
Originally Posted by alwayssmile
Option #3 is the practice I saw during DD2's pregnancy. Their office is an hour from me, as well as the hospital (hospital #3). They are VBAC supportive, but far away and last time we didn't make it.
I know all this is very confusing, especially since those reading this have no reference for where all these places are located!
First, I'm glad that everything looks good and everyone is healthy. It's a beautiful blob! :-D
I can NOT believe that they would do a c/s without any anesthesia!! That is nuts! Not likely to be an issue, but I'd look into the legalities of that. Is that possibly legal?
She said, and I quote: "If the baby is in danger, we will do what ever we have to do to save it." She also said they would use local anesthesia, but that it is not adequate for surgery. I don't see how it is legal, either. How can they have an ER or take any laboring woman, if they are not prepared for emergency?!?
Originally Posted by AnnaRO
That seriously doesn't seem legal to me either. That's crazy! I'm sorry you are stuck with such bad choices...I might start looking into lottery tickets.
I wonder that too but I know its the same thing in my small town as well. They don't have an someone on site at all times (so no VBACs allowed) but totally have an ER. Our hospital transports people out by helicopter to a bigger city so maybe thats their logic, give them local anesthesia and then get them out of there. Since hospital #2 & #3 are within an hour of #1 maybe thats their idea too. Like Anna said, doesn't seem legal.
This is also the same practice/hospital that, after I ended up there after delivering DD2, I asked them what would have happened if we had made it there before DD2 was born, and the nurse told me they would have sent me on my way to the other hospital. Again, questionable legality. I just don't think this particular practice is actually supportive of VBAC. I have a feeling if I made it to 37 weeks, they'd start pushing me for a csection.