After having two 34 weekers, I fear we could be pushing our luck trying for a third. But we are getting close to being ready to try again. I just don't know if I'm ready for 7 months of anxiety, and worrying everytime I move that my water will break, or that every bout of contractions will turn into real ones. They started at 24 weeks with my first and at 21 weeks with my second. If they start even earlier this time around, I could be on bed rest potentially for the entire 2nd and 3rd trimesters. I'm desperately going to try to not use meds on a regular basis too, other than 17P injections. I can't handle terb or procardia longterm again. As rescue meds if contractions are just not stopping, sure, but not every 4-6 hours for 2 months. I worry about my heart too much. With my first, he was born early because my contractions started up one day, after having them daily for months, but then they just didn't stop. But, and this is what worries me the most, with my second, I was so sure I knew what to watch for and that I knew how to stop the contractions, but instead, my water just broke one day with no warning, no contractions, nothing. That terrifies me, because there is nothing I can do to prevent that. I'm thinking that I should get myself a fetal-maternal specialist this time around, instead of a regular OB. Maybe I should even be seen before we conceive and have hormone levels checked and all that, I've never had that done before. I've never been given a reason for my pre-term labor, though maybe there is no way to know. Anyone else been there before and had a term pregnancy after two preemies? Any advice on what I should do to prepare myself, physically and mentally for doing this again? Needing some encouragement.
Second, having a baby after a preemie can be a traumatic experience. I have 3 preemie little girls. 34w, 35w, and 32w. My first two girls were able to go home with me and my third daughter was in the NICU for 2 1/2 weeks. After my DD3 we decided to get my tubes tied. It was a very hard decision. There are several ladies on here though that have gotten pg after a preemie and have gone on to have healthy full term pgs. Some wondering where to send the eviction notice too.
Were you able to use the 17P injections with your second baby? My first was born at 32 weeks after going into preterm labor at a little over 31 weeks, so with my youngest son, they had me do the 17P injections and I really believe that is what kept him in longer. I had him at almost 36 weeks and he only had to stay in the NICU for 24 hours for observation and he was able to come home with me....such a huge difference than with my first son having to stay in the NICU 5 weeks! Good luck with your decision!
DS #1 - born January 08 at 32 weeks, now a very healthy, very big, and happy 3 year old!
Angel baby - April 09
DS #2- born July 2010 at 35 weeks, 5 days Can't believe he is already 1!
I'm an independent consultant for Jordan Essentials, which sells naturally based bath & body products: http://www.myjestore.com/julie Email me at Julie.JE11@gmail.com for a free sample!
I know I am concerned when we try for #2 about having another preemie.
Nicky Married to Dan on 2/28/08
Mom to Sebastian, my lil guy who came 6 weeks early 8/27/11
Mom to Samuel. my extra lil guy who came close to 14 weeks early 8/1/12
and always in my heart forever s 1/23/03 &7/23/03
Letters to Sebastian http://librababy.wordpress.com/
Letters to Sam and also our NICU journey http://scorpiobaby.wordpress.com/
Rasing the Brothers Phttp://raisingthebrothersp.wordpress.com/
I did have the 17P injections with my second. He still came at 34 weeks. I still wonder if he might have come earlier had I not taken it. But, I really couldn't tell that it helped with contractions. I had them constantly for months. I was admitted 3 seperate times in L&D to get them to stop. But, the day he was born, I hadn't had any contractions at all, just my water broke suddenly while I was lying in bed.
Hi Julie Nice to "see" you...it's been awhile.
I had my first DS at 33.5 weeks and my second DS just a few days shy of 37 weeks. DS2 had no NICU stay. Both of my labors started with membrane rupture and I don't know why. Just seems to be the way I start labor. I have lots of BH's beginning at like 15 to 20 weeks...I'm not sure really how to tell the difference between BH and real contractions. I guess could be the difference in whether or not they cause dialation/effacement of the cervix, IDK. But I do know the fear of the unknown with pregnancy. I wish I had some good advice on how not to worry or how to carry babe longer but I don't. I just wanted to say good luck and I hope you have a less complicated pregnancy with #3 when you decide to take the plunge.
PS...doctor watched me closer with DS2 since we didn't know why my water broke early with DS1. They checked my cervix via u/s a few times throughout the pregnancy and there was never any early dialation with all the BH's. I didn't have a long cervix but it also didn't get progressively shorter either. I don't recall if they watched anything like this with you and your second. Did your early contractions seem to cause cervix changes?
I did have some cervical changes with both pregnancies, namely shortening and softening. I was dilated at about a finger tip width around 26-28 weeks with both, but it seemed to hold up until I went into real labor. Braxton hicks usually only last less than 45 seconds and are eratic. However, real contractions, which is what I had most of the time were 90-120 second in duration and came very consistently anywhere from every 15 minutes to every 5 minutes. They would usually just stop on their own or with an injection of terb or increased oral dose of terb or procardia. With my first I was on a terb pump for a couple weeks - will NEVER do that again, in fact I think they are no longer allowed by the FDA because of potential heart complications in the mother.
My water broke suddenly while lying in bed when I was pg with Tyler. You're right - its terrifying bc how do you prevent that?!
I was on the 17p shots with Lana, was seen by my regular OB and a maternal-fetal high risk specialist...and made it to just shy of 37 weeks. Seeing the high risk dr might not have done anything more than to put my mind at ease, but it was worth it. Knowing they were monitoring me closely, doing regular checks and u/s...I was able to relax just a little more knowing that they would likely be able to see if things started to go wrong.
I would definitely recommend talking to one beforehand just to get some feedback, and seeing the high risk dr during the pregnancy as well. Good luck!
~ Tracy ~
My miracle: Born at 28w6d...and perfect in every way!
We have been considering a third. First was 34 weeks. Second with a lot of I intervention and close calls made it to 37 weeks. I had a high risk dr as a consult with the second. We are now living in AL and were able to have a consult with the UAB MFM group. There are new advancements since my last, 2.5 years ago. They felt sure we could hit 34 weeks again. I know that isn't full term, but after staring down 24 weeks with Liam, I'll take it!