Preemie Check In

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560
Preemie Check In

I know we have had a rash of Preemies reciently. How are you all doing? I can not imagine having a baby in the NICU so long. How are you all holding up? Hugs to all!

Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485

Doing o.k. We had a rough night on Saturday night but I think we moved passed it. Just everything finally getting to my husband and he broke down a bit.

Trying to juggle everything is tiring but we are doing what we can.

It really helps that Sammy is closer to home.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

Wow, 8 weeks in the NICU. I can imagine why that is so hard for you and DH. It took DH and I about 1 year to get our relationship back on solid footing after our time in the NICU and that was only 2 1/2 weeks. I wish I had answers for you. Maybe it would help to take one day off of everything (Work, NICU, get a babysitter for your other LO) and go out together. Big, huge, giant hugs!

Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485

Thanks
It has been rough and I thought getting him closer would help a bit but it's still stressful and with the hubby being home alone with the LO too he's been a lot more stressed then I knew about.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

It is very stressful no matter how close they are. Someone posted something soon after my LO was in the NICU that was very helpful to me in understanding what we were going through. You very much can get Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome from your time in the NICU. Just like a Soldier gets PTS from combat, so does a mother or father who has their baby in a NICU. It is a prolonged period of very high stress. The lights, the sounds, smells, and alarms will affect you for years to come. Knowing the baby that was in the crib next to your baby for weeks just died is just as stressful as the soldier next to you dying.

Let yourself morn and recover from a very stressful time. For us, I was so busy first being on bed rest for months, then in the Hospital, and constantly visiting LO in the NICU nearly brought my DH to the breaking point. He was having to do everything. Work, cook, clean, and take care of our other two girls. He started to reach out to a young woman that was helping him with my girls. That is something that he normally never would have done (It never went beyond talking). It almost ruined our wonderful relationship. I was not able to be there for him. It took a long time to get over that time. To be honest, our relationship will never be the same. Instead it is a little like fine china. Once broken and mended, it will never be as pretty, but it will be twice as strong.

I know you are very busy and worn down, but I encourage you to make some time to spend just with you and your husband.

:bigarmhug::bigarmhug::bigarmhug:

Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485

Thanks we do have a few things planned like my birthday on Saturday so that will be nice and hopefully help a little

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

Happy Birthday! :party:

NYMommy04's picture
Joined: 09/19/03
Posts: 281

Got put back on the vent on sat... Getting 2 blood transfusions tonight. Doing good with the transfusions so far.. Hopefully I will be able to hold him again soon...

Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485

Hope he can get off the vent soon. I remember when Sam had to go back on it.

*hugs*

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"NYMommy04" wrote:

Got put back on the vent on sat... Getting 2 blood transfusions tonight. Doing good with the transfusions so far.. Hopefully I will be able to hold him again soon...

Aww, I hope you can hold your baby soon too. That has got to be so hard.

NYMommy04's picture
Joined: 09/19/03
Posts: 281

This nicu thing is killing me.. I don't know how many more weeks I can take. I just want to bring him home.. He's doing alot better. Finally hit the 3# club. Off the vent, now on cpap and no more pic line! Moved to less critical bed. Wont be able to try open air crib until 35 weeks.

Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485

"NYMommy04" wrote:

This nicu thing is killing me.. I don't know how many more weeks I can take. I just want to bring him home.. He's doing alot better. Finally hit the 3# club. Off the vent, now on cpap and no more pic line! Moved to less critical bed. Wont be able to try open air crib until 35 weeks.

That's great he's into the 3 pounds and off the vent

Have particular reason they are waiting till 35 weeks? At both of the NICU's Sam has been in he just needed to be able to regulate his own body temperature.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"NYMommy04" wrote:

This nicu thing is killing me.. I don't know how many more weeks I can take. I just want to bring him home.. He's doing alot better. Finally hit the 3# club. Off the vent, now on cpap and no more pic line! Moved to less critical bed. Wont be able to try open air crib until 35 weeks.

:bigarmhug: I am so sorry. I know it must be so difficult.

"BazandSam" wrote:

Have particular reason they are waiting till 35 weeks? At both of the NICU's Sam has been in he just needed to be able to regulate his own body temperature.

I was going to ask the same thing. DD1 was born at 34 weeks and was a take home baby. DD3 was born at 32 weeks, but was home before she was 35 weeks. She was in an open air bed after just a few days.

NYMommy04's picture
Joined: 09/19/03
Posts: 281

Apparently it's their policy. Maybe because he was just born so early..

Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485

"NYMommy04" wrote:

Apparently it's their policy. Maybe because he was just born so early..

Interesting policy.

Sam (26 weeker) was out of the isolette when he was able to maintain his body temp.

Otherwise I hope you and he are hanging in there and doing well. I know have had moments lately of feeling like I can't do this NICU thing anymore.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

:bigarmhug: to you both! How long have your LO's been in the NICU now? It must seem like forever. I can not imagine having one in so long. 2 1/2 weeks was bad enough.

Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

:bigarmhug: to you both! How long have your LO's been in the NICU now? It must seem like forever. I can not imagine having one in so long. 2 1/2 weeks was bad enough.

almost 3 months months. Nov 1st will mark him being 3 months and 3 months in the NICU. They seem to think atleast another month probably till he can get his breathing more stable and even at that pont they think he will go home on o2

NYMommy04's picture
Joined: 09/19/03
Posts: 281

We just hit 33 days.. Still on canula and timed feeds. I know we are a long way from coming home. Lil man is up to 3#12oz.. I requested ot and pt today. Hopefully the doc will write some orders for it..

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"BazandSam" wrote:

almost 3 months months. Nov 1st will mark him being 3 months and 3 months in the NICU. They seem to think atleast another month probably till he can get his breathing more stable and even at that pont they think he will go home on o2

"NYMommy04" wrote:

We just hit 33 days.. Still on canula and timed feeds. I know we are a long way from coming home. Lil man is up to 3#12oz.. I requested ot and pt today. Hopefully the doc will write some orders for it..

Yikes! Hugs to you both! :bigarmhug:

Joined: 12/11/02
Posts: 485

Thanks
It looks like we will be in a few more weeks.
We were given two options yesterday...

1 to take him home this weekend but he would be on o2 and a bunch of other stuff. The doctor said he was just medically Ok but we cuold take him hime.

Or give him some more time to eat better, hopefully get off o2 again and be able to stay off of it, etc...

Sucked saying to go with option 2 but I think it is what is best for Sam.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

Aww, I am sure you want him home, but it is much better to wait until they are ready. It was terrifying once Caitlyn came home. Being on O2 would be very difficult. Hang in there! You are in the home stretch.