Calibration?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Calibration?

  1. #1
    Mega Poster La123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    2,958

    Question Calibration?

    We just got a new desktop and I'm going to get calibrated. Just a quick question to those of you who are calibrated.... What did you use? AND I've noticed with the Spyder3 brand.. there is a cheaper one, and a more expensive one. The cheaper one seems to have way better reviews... Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this brand? or just recommendations in general? I know the colour is WAY off on the new monitor, and I feel totally lost in buying a calibration thingy Help!

  2. #2
    Posting Addict coolmama72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,760

    Default

    I use the Spyder2Express
    Gwen, Mommy to Andrew, Jordan, Natalie & Jack




    My blog - all things family, photography and crafty

  3. #3
    Mega Poster La123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolmama72 View Post
    I use the Spyder2Express
    Are you happy with it?

  4. #4
    Posting Addict coolmama72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,760

    Default

    I am. it's easy and seems to be doing the trick (except I haven't figured out why my monitor is brighter than my photos, I would have thought that was factored into the calibration).
    Gwen, Mommy to Andrew, Jordan, Natalie & Jack




    My blog - all things family, photography and crafty

  5. #5
    Mega Poster La123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolmama72 View Post
    I am. it's easy and seems to be doing the trick (except I haven't figured out why my monitor is brighter than my photos, I would have thought that was factored into the calibration).
    I was reading reviews where lots of people were saying the calibration made their monitors super dim, and had to send them back... sounds like the same sort of problem. I was just hoping there was one specific brand that was perfect.. lol! Oh well. Thanks for responding btw, I appreciate the help.

  6. #6
    Posting Addict coolmama72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,760

    Default

    well, the brightness of my monitor isn't changed at all when I calibrate, so I think I just have a pretty bright monitor. I just need to remember that when I'm looking at my images and thinking they're "too" bright I guess.
    Gwen, Mommy to Andrew, Jordan, Natalie & Jack




    My blog - all things family, photography and crafty

  7. #7
    Posting Addict sweetalienchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    14,255

    Default

    i'm sure you can still turn down the brightness of your monitor without it affecting your calibration. What I did is adjusted my contrast and brightness and then checked calibration or re calibrated that way and it was ok.

    I use Spyder3Pro only reason why I got this one and not the express one was because I wanted to be able to set up my laptop to an external monitor. Can't do that with the express. Well, I'm sure you could but you can only calibrate one monitor at a time I think with the express. Or something like that. My husband is the technical guy. lol I just repeat what he says.
    Mikael 2, Jeanette 4,







  8. #8
    Mega Poster La123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetalienchick View Post
    i'm sure you can still turn down the brightness of your monitor without it affecting your calibration. What I did is adjusted my contrast and brightness and then checked calibration or re calibrated that way and it was ok.

    I use Spyder3Pro only reason why I got this one and not the express one was because I wanted to be able to set up my laptop to an external monitor. Can't do that with the express. Well, I'm sure you could but you can only calibrate one monitor at a time I think with the express. Or something like that. My husband is the technical guy. lol I just repeat what he says.
    I see what you mean. I think we will only be calibrating one monitor, so I'll probably go with the express. My SO is a tech guy too, funny he has no idea when it comes to calibration... He said it's a waste of money, and we should be able to set the colour profile to be 'close enough' So he is not making much of an effort in helping me choose which software to buy! At least he's gonna fork out the money when I choose one

  9. #9
    Mega Poster La123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolmama72 View Post
    well, the brightness of my monitor isn't changed at all when I calibrate, so I think I just have a pretty bright monitor. I just need to remember that when I'm looking at my images and thinking they're "too" bright I guess.
    I see what you mean. Maybe you could just turn the brightness down, then recalibrate?

  10. #10
    Posting Addict coolmama72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by La123 View Post
    I see what you mean. Maybe you could just turn the brightness down, then recalibrate?
    yeah, I'm gonna try that.

    and with the Express, you can use it on 2 or 3 computers in the house. so I used it on my desktop and my old laptop.
    Gwen, Mommy to Andrew, Jordan, Natalie & Jack




    My blog - all things family, photography and crafty

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions