This is a family you might recognize from a photo shoot I did a while back. It was my first maternity one. The baby is now 5 months old.
This family is HARD to edit b/c mom and girls are super pale, while dad has a normal skin tone. It's hard to edit the girls b/c they tend to look blue. Any advice would be appreciated. CC on everything, skin-tones, colors, crops, everything!
1. Is this one too bright? I tried to tone it down some, but this was the best I knew how to do......
1/1000, f/2.8, ISO-320
b3 by sadiequalls, on Flickr
2. 1/200, f/3.2, ISO-320
c5-web by sadiequalls, on Flickr
3. 1/100 (I know, something I need to watch closer), f/6.3, ISO-320
fam2web by sadiequalls, on Flickr
4. I struggled with photos of Miss R. Her parents wouldn't wipe her nose well. I kept telling them she needed her nose wiped, but I just didn't know what else to do. I tried to heal some of it. Any advice? I suck at cloning/healing? Should I try a skin softening?
1/200, f/3.2, ISO-320
r1web by sadiequalls, on Flickr
5. 1/400, f/3.2, ISO-320
b1web by sadiequalls, on Flickr
Sadie- mommy to Ruthie & Randy
From looking at this set, I would never know it was hard for you to edit. Here's my thoughts for what they're worth ....
1. This doesn't look too bright to me. In fact, she looks great! The shadow on the top of her head is a little distracting and makes her hair look slightly green in tone. If you can mask that part and bring down the green (or add back some yellow), that might help. It's a nit pick though b/c I like this one a lot.
2. Cute baby! She does look very pale, but if that is her color then I wouldn't worry about it. Everything else looks perfect (to me). Great light in LOs eyes!
3. color and exposure look fine to me here. Mom and the 2 older girls look great as well. Too bad dad is squinting and baby is looking down. Really lovely setting.
4. Although the nose looks a touch red, at this size I don't see anything else that needs to be done. You might see more at full size. I'm not much help on this though. Color looks pretty good and I'm impressed that, w/ all of that red she's wearing, you don't have a terrible color cast!
5. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!! Did I mention I *love* this?!?!?! Great conversion. Sweet catch. Focus looks really nice. The top part of her forehead looks a LITTLE blown, but you might be able to bring that back down. I really love this one and I'll bet mom and dad will too.
Great set, Sadie! You are really getting some great experience and it is showing in how much you are growing!
As for dad squinting- he did that in ALL of those photos. I do have some more family ones in a different setting though. It sure was tough trying to get everyone to look at me.
The setting for all of these, but #1 is at the old jail in our town. My old art teacher gave me permission to shoot there. Her husband used it as a law office after they built a new jail. It's pretty, but limited. I have more photos a different location, but these are my fav.
These look great Sadie!! I like all of them!
#1 seems a bit soft, but the color & light look very nice.
#2 is adorable, she is SO pale but you got great light & focus here!
#3 the only thing distracting me is the dark vertical line on the left of the photo.
#4 I can't tell her nose was running at ALL! very cute shot!
#5 awesome! I love it! I love your conversion too! Can you share your method? I haven't practiced very much with B&W since doing the 1 or 2 that I posted here last spring.
Amy- thanks for the reply.
On #1- I think the focus is more on her shirt. I was toggling focus points, but I might have just forgot to toggle it to her face.
As for my B&W method, **hanging head in shame*** but I use an action and then I tweak it. I usually darken it b/c it tends to BLOW my whites. It's from coffeeshop blog. HTH!
No shame there, it's great! I love that website. Actually I believe that I followed the broken-down steps for that action when I did mine!
1. I don't think it's too bright at all! don't know anything about skin tones to comment on, but this looks fine to my untrained eye!
2. LOVE! my only thing would be to crop it so the baby is more to the left.
3. Cute! Wish dad would have looked less stern, but I think you did a great job with the focus, color, location....
4. Cute. Don't see the nose problem
5. LOVE. Awesome! Perfect!