It's been a LONG time since I've asked for any CC! So here it goes! I do have my own CC on some of them, but I would love any feedback that you have. And I REALLY encourage the lurkers to come out and respond as well. It's the perfect opportunity to look closely at an image and find what you like and what you don't like about it. Please don't feel like you have to be an expert. You have to start somewhere, and critique is the best way to do that.
So, study these images, and let me know what you think! Choose one, or choose all! It's up to you!
ISO 1000 f/2 1/250 50mm
The light source is a South facing window on camera right at about 11am.
866A9979-2bwweb by Stephanie.Miller, on Flickr
Same settings and setup as above
866A9991-2web by Stephanie.Miller, on Flickr
ISO 250 f/3.5 1/800 50mm
Same room/window. Time of day was about 2:30pm, and the light coming through the window was a lot stronger.
866A0010-2web by Stephanie.Miller, on Flickr
ISO 1250 f/3.5 1/320 50mm
866A0014-2web by Stephanie.Miller, on Flickr
1. I love your conversion here. The only thing that really bothers me about this is the glowiness of his right arm....not much you can do about that..
2. I love his little face :)! The lighting is really perfect here... it seems a little too magenta and warm for my taste, but I'm not calibrated.
3. This is my favorite of the set! The lighting is so perfect and I love that he's gazing outside. Whenever I see images with blinds, it makes me want to go out and buy some! We only have shades/curtains in our house and I love the effect of blinds with light coming through.
4. Not as strong as #3 and I wish his foot wasn't disappearing in the light, but I still really like the conversion.
Honestly, I had a hard time coming up with cc because they are really good as is :)
I love his little face and the light in #1 and #2. I'm not usually a fan of these shots on carpet, I just find the texture of the carpet always somehow interferes with the 'cleanness' of the look, if that makes sense. But these are very well done.
Love the mood and light in #3!
#4 is definitely my fave. Unlike Katie, I think it's the strongest and actually love the way his foot disappears into the light. It creates a mood and a feeling of warmth (hard to do in B&W, IMO!), like he's just soaking up some afternoon sun while relaxing in that wonderful chair. I just love everything about it.
Thanks ladies!! I see what you're saying about the carpet, Tracy. Perhaps this works for you because of the shallow DOF? Having it a little blurry takes the harshness away.
My favorite was also the last one. And honestly, I can't take all the credit on it. Jackson was the one who wanted to sit on the chair. I wanted a shot of him on the floor like Hudson, and I was going to get one of Carson as well, and maybe print them out. I'm glad he insisted on the chair, because when I saw how the light was falling, I instructed him on where to look. It was actually hard to get him to NOT smile lol! He thought I was kidding around trying to get him to smile when I said, "Don't smile." ;) I do wish I could see at least a little of the outline of his heel. It's there in the SOOC, but my processing cut it out. I did notice it as I was going along, but wasn't patient enough to try to fix it since I was limited on time.
Oh Steph! These are wonderful! I'm so glad you shared!
1. Love the conversion. His face looks a little hot on his left (camera right) but I love the dramati lighting and don't mind the slight hot spot.
2. he seems a bit magenta to me, but I'm at work, so take that w/ a HUGE grain of salt (a shaker?). Love the catchlights, eyes look perfectly crisp.
3. SCORE! Great use of directional light and your conversion ROCKS! I love the bright light on the blinds in comparison to the darkness on most of Jackson's body. Gives the image a very contemplative feel.
4. while I wish his foot wasn't lost in the blown light, I ADORE this shot and the conversion! There is a richness to it that is hard to get in b&w. Jackson looks so grown up here.
Such a great set! I'm glad you took some time to do some "serious" shots this week. I hope we get to see a lot more.
Steph- I LOVE these!
#1- eyes look great, love his little hands and great eye connection!
#2- I wish his hands were in the pic, that's about all I have for that one! It is a tad magenta on mine too.
#3- LOVE! I too am dying for some blinds for this reason as well!
#4- definitely my fave. I adore this. Such a perfect photo of a boy!