Event Photos - What do I charge?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Event Photos - What do I charge?

  1. #1
    Posting Addict AmberBella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    6,748

    Default Event Photos - What do I charge?

    I was just asked by a friend to shoot snaps and candids at a neighborhood picnic in Bel Air....obviously it would be a good self promoting opportunity, but I just don't know how to handle this situation.

    I would not be paid for my time at the event, but have been told it would be okay if I put the images on my website for individual purchase. What does one charge for individual images to make the event worth all the time and effort I know would be involved?
    Wife to Rich~ 8/16/03 Mom to Nathan~ 9/30/07
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Photography Blog

  2. #2
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    6,883

    Default

    awesome! chances are they're not going to order anything bigger than a 4x6, mayyybe 5x7, since it's a party and all... so what about either offering them an album from whcc with their choice of however many shots for x amount of $$ that figures in the time spent on it... or if they're going to be more like candid snaps, perhaps a bundle... so, x number of 4x6's for x dollars... it would be cheaper than your regular portrait prices. That's just my idea, though. Since if they don't think it's a big enough deal, they probably will skimp if the photos are high priced - though you totally would deserve every stinkin' penny... just thinking from their point of view. I hope that helps. I'd have to see your prices to help give a actual dollar amounts.
    Last edited by MollyDoll; 10-02-2009 at 03:30 PM.

  3. #3
    Melvin76
    Guest

    Default

    I have noooo idea. Why wouldn't you be paid for the time?

  4. #4
    Posting Addict coolmama72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,760

    Default

    well, I was looking at zenpholio the other day, and saw their sample price list. I think something like that is a good start (it was $4 for a 4x6 and I think $20 for 8x10)

    I'm not sure that you'll be able to make the money to pay for your time though - then again, you take AWESOME pictures, and hopefully some of the familes won't be able to resist and will have to order.

    good luck!
    Gwen, Mommy to Andrew, Jordan, Natalie & Jack




    My blog - all things family, photography and crafty

  5. #5
    Super Poster becoming-mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    406

    Default

    I'm glad you started this topic - just did my first paid gig ever and it was an event.. I charged a nominal amount BECAUSE I didn't think I'd get anything for my portfolio (I'm PBing, not near ready to go pro yet) so it was just really for my time.

    But you are a pro and I'm just minor league - there's no comparison!

    In the end I did end up getting some shots that I think I can use in my portfolio, but now I'm KICKING myself because I didn't get model releases..which brings me to my next question. When you photo an event and sell prints online later do you have EVERY guest sign a release??

    PS, you can see some of my shots on my brand new photo site/blog: http://www.arianafalerni.com
    ==================
    Becoming Mom, my mommy blog.

    My New Photography Blog!

    My flickrstream


  6. #6
    Posting Addict AmberBella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by becoming-mom View Post
    I'm glad you started this topic - just did my first paid gig ever and it was an event.. I charged a nominal amount BECAUSE I didn't think I'd get anything for my portfolio (I'm PBing, not near ready to go pro yet) so it was just really for my time.

    But you are a pro and I'm just minor league - there's no comparison!

    In the end I did end up getting some shots that I think I can use in my portfolio, but now I'm KICKING myself because I didn't get model releases..which brings me to my next question. When you photo an event and sell prints online later do you have EVERY guest sign a release??

    PS, you can see some of my shots on my brand new photo site/blog: http://www.arianafalerni.com
    I don't know the answer to this, but I'm thinking no. I go to Sweet Adeline conventions every year, and there is always a guy taking photos all throughout the week and he puts the images on his site to sell, and I've never once signed a release.
    Wife to Rich~ 8/16/03 Mom to Nathan~ 9/30/07
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Photography Blog

  7. #7
    Super Poster becoming-mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmberBella View Post
    I don't know the answer to this, but I'm thinking no. I go to Sweet Adeline conventions every year, and there is always a guy taking photos all throughout the week and he puts the images on his site to sell, and I've never once signed a release.
    That was kind of my instinct too, but I dunno.. when it comes to people and pictures of their children I get worried!
    ==================
    Becoming Mom, my mommy blog.

    My New Photography Blog!

    My flickrstream


  8. #8
    stampasaurus
    Guest

    Default

    I think in a public space if you are openly taking pictures and an adult knows that and allows that their picture be taken, it is considered equivalent to giving consent. Children are not so straight forward so I am not sure about that!

  9. #9
    jendodd
    Guest

    Default

    When I do events, I look at them as if they are good free marketing - so I charge $20/hr for my time at the event and then I do a shoot and burn. I hand out my card to people, and I also have a sign up sheet where people can leave their name and email address if they want to see the link to the gallery.

    Basically, I upload in to lightroom, do a really quick preset to bring out a bit of contrast and colour, add a super teeny vignette and then export to burn as a jpeg.

  10. #10
    klebanik
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jendodd View Post
    When I do events, I look at them as if they are good free marketing - so I charge $20/hr for my time at the event and then I do a shoot and burn. I hand out my card to people, and I also have a sign up sheet where people can leave their name and email address if they want to see the link to the gallery.

    Basically, I upload in to lightroom, do a really quick preset to bring out a bit of contrast and colour, add a super teeny vignette and then export to burn as a jpeg.
    This is EXACTLY what I did for a recent party I did. $20/hour, shoot and burn on site and the customer was thrilled.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions