Farm shots... CC please

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
TracyF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 08/14/06
Posts: 2514
Farm shots... CC please

I took these shots today, and my original intent was to shoot the vines with a shallow DOF leading back to the top of the shot. But doing that, I think I wrecked the first shot -- should've had it with f8.0. The second shot is just not as strong from a composition standpoint. But I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on both images.

Manual, SS 1/1600, ISO 200, f4.5, focal length 30mm

Manual SS 1/1600, ISO 200, f3.5, focal length 20.7mm

As always, I did learn something more in taking these shots today, about how your focal point is as important in DOF as your aperture, considering the first shot had a smaller aperture but shallower DOF because I focused in the bottom left corner; whereas the second shot had a larger DOF because I focused in the center of the shot instead. Not news to any of you, I'm sure, but helpful for me in figuring this whole photography 'thing' out!

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 07/30/06
Posts: 835

I'm on my phone so couldn't comment on colours etc. Composition wise I like the first shot better as is. If the second shot was cropped slightly tighter so you couldn't see as much of the bottom of the closer vines it might be better, not sure. There is just something about the composition that, to me, is a little flat. With the first pic I'd like it better if we were looking down the path a little more, like it was leading us in to the picture. Does that make sense? That might just be me as I like that effect.

Well done on figuring out more as you go!

CJWilkes's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 01/04/09
Posts: 880

I like the first shot best. If you wanted the barn in focus I would arrange so you can have it in focus and the vines out of focus leaving ap wide open. I would not shoot this f 8 Not unless it was a horizontal shot or better comp. Even then I think the open ap would suit this much better. Also, you may consider different angles - like maybe lower to the ground so you appear to be in the vines rather than shooting down at everything.

Color - I would add a tad of magenta maybe some red a bit.

TracyF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 08/14/06
Posts: 2514

"robgem" wrote:

With the first pic I'd like it better if we were looking down the path a little more, like it was leading us in to the picture. Does that make sense? That might just be me as I like that effect.

"CJWilkes" wrote:

Also, you may consider different angles - like maybe lower to the ground so you appear to be in the vines rather than shooting down at everything.

I thought of trying that, but the vines don't have a lot of greenery on them yet and seemed kind of flat. But I didn't actually give it a shot, so perhaps it would've turned out better than I thought, especially since you both had the same suggestion!

"CJWilkes" wrote:

I like the first shot best. If you wanted the barn in focus I would arrange so you can have it in focus and the vines out of focus leaving ap wide open. I would not shoot this f 8 Not unless it was a horizontal shot or better comp. Even then I think the open ap would suit this much better.

OK, that's really helpful, thank you! That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for looking -- I learn more every time I ask for CC!

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 04/23/06
Posts: 485

I like #1 comp better. I would love to see these with a contrast boost!

CJWilkes's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 01/04/09
Posts: 880

"TracyF" wrote:

I thought of trying that, but the vines don't have a lot of greenery on them yet and seemed kind of flat. But I didn't actually give it a shot, so perhaps it would've turned out better than I thought, especially since you both had the same suggestion!
OK, that's really helpful, thank you! That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for looking -- I learn more every time I ask for CC!

When you get down among the weeds or greenery it makes the feel of happening upon rather than looking down on - does that make sense?

These were both taken on my belly or squatted real low:

and if you get right into the vines it will give an affect like this:

Put your lens real close to where there is green and it will appear to have lots of green. Frame your lens with the green letting a bit of it get in front of the lens to frame your subject.

This area was not nearly as green as it appears. I took advantage of ANY green I saw:

Please don't mind the harsh sun. LOL

Anyhow - looking at the images you have you have plenty of green to alter the look of the area even though it does not seem like it, you would be surprised.

TracyF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 08/14/06
Posts: 2514

Wow, Cindy, thank you SO much for sharing those images and giving me some really great advice. I'm such a newbie and I greatly appreciate you sharing not just your advice but some examples of what you're talking about, to help me learn. It means a LOT to me. Thank you!!! I love your work and this inspires me!

reeveslady's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/23/05
Posts: 1423

Wow, Cindy, I didn't realize green is emphasized when you do that. I'm going to have to try it Biggrin

Tracy, I wonder what would have happened if you got down close to that post at the bottom left corner there and shot towards the barn like that, with the post on your left. I'm a big fan of getting down on the ground when taking shots too.

CJWilkes's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 01/04/09
Posts: 880

No problem. If you notice in the second image it is not green but yellowish. That was in some catnip growing in a pond. You can bring out any color you want by playing with your surroundings.

I recommend going through other photographers sites and seeing their images. There are many to look through. I am one who tends to love to shoot low and through things. People laugh and are in shot at my sessions. LOL :eek: But I love that sort of look.

There really is not much too wrong with your images. You have some good snap shots. Learn your aperatures and shutter speeds. This will help immensely in accomplishing the look you want to get. The wider open f/1.8 or 2 will cause more focal with back ground blurring where as f/11 will have EVERYthing in focus. It has its place too. I like closing up for silhouettes or sunsets or scenery shots. Also when trying to create bursts.

Hope that makes sense Smile

Sorry I have not been around much. It has been a long year. I will try to post more often.

cazzoom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/22/02
Posts: 1315

Really like the second one Biggrin

TracyF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 08/14/06
Posts: 2514

Thanks, Cazz!

"CJWilkes" wrote:

No problem. If you notice in the second image it is not green but yellowish. That was in some catnip growing in a pond. You can bring out any color you want by playing with your surroundings.

So interesting -- I never realized that. I'm going to have to try that!

"CJWilkes" wrote:

Learn your aperatures and shutter speeds. This will help immensely in accomplishing the look you want to get. The wider open f/1.8 or 2 will cause more focal with back ground blurring where as f/11 will have EVERYthing in focus. It has its place too.

I just have a P&S right now (can't afford a dSLR at the moment), so I don't have quite that range of apertures -- my camera goes from f/2.7 to f/8 -- but I am working on learning what I can about when/how to use what aperture.

"CJWilkes" wrote:

Sorry I have not been around much. It has been a long year. I will try to post more often.

Sounds like you've been really busy -- but it's nice to see you back. There are many people whose work I've greatly admired while lurking here for so long, always nice to hear from everyone and see recent work!

Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 10/26/01
Posts: 3573

Tracy ...

You are growing so fast and this set is a great example! I love them both, but #1 is my favorite. I agree w/ pp that getting lower and also a contrast boost would really take this to another level, but I love the composition you came up with and the great use of leading lines.

TFS!

GiGi

TracyF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 08/14/06
Posts: 2514

Just another quick post to add that I edited these shots according to some suggestions (contrast boost, adding magenta/red) and wow, I really have to get better at editing, because it makes a big difference. They're still not spectacular, but they're much nicer!!

I'm always afraid to take things too far when I edit, but obviously I need to do more!!

Jeffininer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 11/07/07
Posts: 1796

Nothing more to add, I would suggest getting lower (as mentioned). I think the processing you used in the second set is a lot more pleasing and interesting.