One from Tonight - Headshot Session
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: One from Tonight - Headshot Session

  1. #1
    Posting Addict AmberBella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    6,748

    Default One from Tonight - Headshot Session

    Had yet another headshot session. I just LOVE doing headshots. It's so fun to be able to calmly and carefully set up the shot and put them right where I want them and make it work. I'm particularly proud of this shot because the background was quite a bit brighter than her face, so I ended up using fill flash. I feel like it worked pretty well. Let me know if you think otherwise.

    I'll certainly post more tomorrow after I get a chance to process some more. But for now...here's one.

    Last edited by AmberBella; 08-03-2009 at 01:34 AM.
    Wife to Rich~ 8/16/03 Mom to Nathan~ 9/30/07
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Photography Blog

  2. #2
    stampasaurus
    Guest

    Default

    I love the colors on this one! I think that it worked great! The only thing I am not sure of is the piece of the fence in the foreground. It seems a little distracting.

    Would you mind sharing your settings and how you did it? I can't use fill flash to save my life. It always looks flashy.

  3. #3
    Posting Addict AmberBella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stampasaurus View Post
    I love the colors on this one! I think that it worked great! The only thing I am not sure of is the piece of the fence in the foreground. It seems a little distracting.

    Would you mind sharing your settings and how you did it? I can't use fill flash to save my life. It always looks flashy.
    Yeah...I agree about the fence. I actually wish there was a little more of it rather than no fence...but I think the little bit is distracting.

    The fill flash was quite a bit of trial and error...which from my understanding is pretty much how you should do it. (hard to do when photographing children!) I exposed for the sky...then let the sky overexpose some to get a little more brightness. Then I turned on my flash and took a test shot. There wasn't enough flash, so I turned it up and tried again. It took 3 adjustments until the flash was just right...making her a touch underexposed but not flashy. Then I touched up exposure in ACR to get the background and her more even.
    Wife to Rich~ 8/16/03 Mom to Nathan~ 9/30/07
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Photography Blog

  4. #4
    Posting Addict cazzoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    9,116

    Default

    She is Gorgeous...... and looks familiar!
    The colours are awesome!
    TTC 14.5 years
    10 BFP's, 10 Angel babies
    Wanted always forgotten never

    Add me on facebook

  5. #5
    klebanik
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmberBella View Post
    Yeah...I agree about the fence. I actually wish there was a little more of it rather than no fence...but I think the little bit is distracting.

    The fill flash was quite a bit of trial and error...which from my understanding is pretty much how you should do it. (hard to do when photographing children!) I exposed for the sky...then let the sky overexpose some to get a little more brightness. Then I turned on my flash and took a test shot. There wasn't enough flash, so I turned it up and tried again. It took 3 adjustments until the flash was just right...making her a touch underexposed but not flashy. Then I touched up exposure in ACR to get the background and her more even.
    Very cool Amber!!!

    She's a beauty.

  6. #6
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,073

    Default

    really great job
    LJ
    ds1 Evan ds2 Adam

  7. #7
    Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Such a beautiful picture! Wow!
    Amber when you use fill flash, I am assuming you aim the flash directly at the person. Don't you get pinlights? I don't see any in your picture!
    Michelle


  8. #8
    Posting Addict AmberBella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miumiu View Post
    Such a beautiful picture! Wow!
    Amber when you use fill flash, I am assuming you aim the flash directly at the person. Don't you get pinlights? I don't see any in your picture!
    I was pretty far away from her so I did direct the flash directly at her. Because of the distance, the flash wasn't too strong on her...but yes, there are very slight pinlights. I put my reflector down to my side to put some catchlights in her eyes.

    This is a fantastic trick that I discovered on this shoot. I will often put my subject in front of a sunny sidewalk to use the sidewalk as a reflector and a nice side effect of that is the sidewalk makes wonderful catchlights. Well...Yesterday when I was shooting in a location where the shadow was so vast that there was no reflecting light, I thought...I wonder if my reflector would do the same thing. Sure enough...there wasn't enough light to actually use the reflector as a reflector, but reflectors are still useful because the big white circle in your subject's eyesight can make lovely little catchlights.
    Wife to Rich~ 8/16/03 Mom to Nathan~ 9/30/07
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Photography Blog

  9. #9
    Posting Addict coolmama72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,760

    Default

    wow, I love this photo!
    Gwen, Mommy to Andrew, Jordan, Natalie & Jack




    My blog - all things family, photography and crafty

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions