Practice shoot & a ? (cc/4 pics)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Practice shoot & a ? (cc/4 pics)

  1. #1
    Posting Addict Coconut2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lake City, FL
    Posts
    6,439

    Default Practice shoot & a ? (cc/4 pics)

    I did a practice shoot with my SIL and her 4 month old daughter. She wanted some pictures done of them but couldn't afford professional shots and I needed some practice so it worked out for everyone. We went to a local park and set up in several areas. Unfortunately for me and my amateur skills nothing worked in my favor; it kept fluctuating from really sunny to super cloudy, the wind was blowing like crazy, Jessica's hair kept going everywhere and made a lot of shots look bad, Harper would not smile and cried a lot. Needless to say I took 110 pictures and am still deciding if I like them or not. She absolutely loves the pictures and thinks I have skill (little does she know), I guess all that matters is that she loves them and has good memories to look back on. These were all taken in manual mode, no flash, they are SOOC.

    Photo 12 f4.5, 1/125sec, ISO 80 I think this could have been a good picture except her hair blow into her face. Is there any way to Photoshop it out? I have Photoshop Elements 9 but I'm a newbie at it so I have no clue if I can and what I should use? FYI that was my ?.
    012

    Photo 45 f5.8, 1/500sec, ISO 200 I cropped this one because the wind was blowing and my hands moved making me cut some of the baby's back off so I cropped it into a head cuddle shot thought that might look better.
    045

    Photo 47 f5.8, 1/500sec, ISO 200
    047

    Photo 71 f4.5, 1/500sec, ISO 200
    071
    Stephanie & Shane Proud Parent's To
    Victoria (7-28-05), Vincent (6-5-07), Vance (6-5-09), Viking (5-13-10), & Valiant Batman (6-5-11)
    3 monkeys

  2. #2
    Posting Addict Amy_&_Eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,482

    Default

    Steph!!! You did so great for your very first shoot and I'm proud of you for trying it out!!

    I do like #1, it just needs a little brightening in the shadowed area (tree & Mom's body) and I wish Mom's feet were there LOL! But it is still a cute shot! Yes you could probably clone out the hair.

    #2 sweet moment; this would have been a good one done with a landscape orientation, with more of them in the photo and you'd also get more light coming into the photo too.

    #3 has great bokeh and color! The crop is a little tight but it still works...also Mom's eyes are squinted so much we can't really see them, but maybe that's just how they look when she laughs?

    I like the color & background of #4, and they look cute just wish baby was looking at the camera for #3 and 4.

    Keep at it, you're doing great!

  3. #3
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    4,718

    Default

    Steph ... Amy is right.... you are certainly on the right track!!!

    I did a very quick edit of your first shot where I cloned out the hair. I just used the small image you had here, so a better job could certainly be done, but I wanted to show you where it could go:



    I also duplicated the layer (after fixing the hair) and bumped up the exposure, then I masked back in the background so that it wasn't blown.

    I love this shot. The interaction between mom and babe is just precious!

    I'll bbl w/ more replies, but I wanted to at least show you this.

    BTW ... it's in a private, password-protected gallery on my site. I can remove it if you like.

    Best,
    GiGi

  4. #4
    Mega Poster TracyF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,593

    Default

    Wow, good for you doing a shoot like that! You did a great job! I would be so nervous, but you got some really nice moments!

    Some of them seem a bit dark, though if the sun was in and out and what not, that's understandable. I think #1 is a really awesome moment. I'd probably like it better if she wasn't standing so close to the tree, just another foot forward (but keeping the tree in the shot?) so her hair doesn't blend in to the tree and makes her and baby stand out more. But it is super sweet, a great catch!

    The rest are really cute and fun. Awesome job!

    Married Anthony April 2, 2005
    Nora born Feb. 14th, 2007
    Micah born Jan. 20, 2009

  5. #5
    Posting Addict Coconut2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lake City, FL
    Posts
    6,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amy_&_Eva View Post
    Steph!!! You did so great for your very first shoot and I'm proud of you for trying it out!!

    I do like #1, it just needs a little brightening in the shadowed area (tree & Mom's body) and I wish Mom's feet were there LOL! But it is still a cute shot! Yes you could probably clone out the hair.

    #2 sweet moment; this would have been a good one done with a landscape orientation, with more of them in the photo and you'd also get more light coming into the photo too.

    #3 has great bokeh and color! The crop is a little tight but it still works...also Mom's eyes are squinted so much we can't really see them, but maybe that's just how they look when she laughs?

    I like the color & background of #4, and they look cute just wish baby was looking at the camera for #3 and 4.

    Keep at it, you're doing great!


    Thank you Amy. Yes when Jessica laughs she squints up really bad. I could not get Harper to do anything. Here is the original of the crop, I was worried because like I said my hand moved and I cut off some of the shoulder and back. Would you recommend a different crop?

    045



    Quote Originally Posted by acarbo99 View Post
    Steph ... Amy is right.... you are certainly on the right track!!!

    I did a very quick edit of your first shot where I cloned out the hair. I just used the small image you had here, so a better job could certainly be done, but I wanted to show you where it could go:



    I also duplicated the layer (after fixing the hair) and bumped up the exposure, then I masked back in the background so that it wasn't blown.

    I love this shot. The interaction between mom and babe is just precious!

    I'll bbl w/ more replies, but I wanted to at least show you this.

    BTW ... it's in a private, password-protected gallery on my site. I can remove it if you like.

    Best,
    GiGi


    GiGi thank you so very much for editing that. I really need to work on my photoshopping.



    Quote Originally Posted by TracyF View Post
    Wow, good for you doing a shoot like that! You did a great job! I would be so nervous, but you got some really nice moments!

    Some of them seem a bit dark, though if the sun was in and out and what not, that's understandable. I think #1 is a really awesome moment. I'd probably like it better if she wasn't standing so close to the tree, just another foot forward (but keeping the tree in the shot?) so her hair doesn't blend in to the tree and makes her and baby stand out more. But it is super sweet, a great catch!

    The rest are really cute and fun. Awesome job!


    Thanks Tracy. The sun going in and out was killing me especially since I only have a p&s and natural light is a necessity. I had a lot of fun with it and hope to do some more practice shoots so I can get even more practice in.
    Stephanie & Shane Proud Parent's To
    Victoria (7-28-05), Vincent (6-5-07), Vance (6-5-09), Viking (5-13-10), & Valiant Batman (6-5-11)
    3 monkeys

  6. #6
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Juan Capistrano, CA
    Posts
    2,485

    Default

    You did a good job! I know how tough it is when it's windy/cloudy and you have to keep changing your settings...so with that in mind, I applaud you! Practice makes perfect.
    I like the original pic you later posted better than the tightly cropped edit, too...I think it's the way she's holding Harper's feet...so precious!





    ~ Kaci

  7. #7
    Posting Addict cazzoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    9,116

    Default

    What a good job!

    The thing about practice shoots is I know how well you want to do, how many idea's you'd like to try but it never ends up being as good as you thought it would. I still get petrified at the thought of uploading my photos and seeing everything is not as good as I thought it would be.

    The other thing is...... with practice you get better and better and when you start to notice it, its a great feeling.

    And the great thing about photographing family is that they are always there and ready for more practice whenever you want them

    Keep shooting
    TTC 14.5 years
    10 BFP's, 10 Angel babies
    Wanted always forgotten never

    Add me on facebook

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions