I posted this as a private message to an online friend over facebook but would also love the input from you ladies.
I hope you don't mind me bringing this up with you, I have a bit of an internal conflict I can't figure out, it's in regards to a dog.
DH and I went to a dog festival in June had a great time, it got me thinking of what I want in my next dog, it came down to us wanting a boxer mix from a rescue organization.
Cesar then released a list of top family dog breeds and I was looking to see what mixes would be best, one of them was a boxer/lab. I typed in several searches in Google to try and get an idea of what the mix looks like and ended up on Pet Finder. I was scrolling through and found this adorable dog, he is in a shelter just 45 minutes from my house.
DH drives by the shelter on his way home from work and went to check out the dog yesterday. He told me that the dog is 1 year old, it's been in the shelter for 7/12 months of it's life, the people surrendered the dog as a 5 month old pup cause it was chewing everything. Right now the dog has quite a bit of issues, he chews everything, nips in an excited but not aggressive manner, he doesn't have manners and jumps on people which can be a problem since he is LARGE. All of these things are a huge concern when you have 3 pets already (2 cats, 1 dog) and a pre-schooler in the house.
When we got Sadie (our dog) she had issues too, many of them similar, but she is much smaller and we only had one child, who was 8 at the time. Sadie improved so quickly under our care so I am positive that we could do it again.
DH and I really want this dog but am not sure if he would fit into our family dynamic at this time. I'd honestly love to foster the dog see how things go without having to commit the money (other then day to day care), and if it did work out I would adopt him, unfortunately the shelter is city run and doesn't allow fostering. It's also unfortunate that the shelter is a ways away, another option I would love to do is to volunteer time there, help them get the dogs in a more adoptable state.
I do know pets are a huge commitment and would never abandon the animal if I did take it in. I had a cat with dementia for the at least the last 3 years of her life, we eventually had to put her down at 16 years of age due to cancer. Sadie (our dog) has a sensitive stomach and we ran tests to figure things out (got no real answers) paid $700 for that and also spent over $1000 removing a fatty deposit from her butt by her tail. Thankfully my other pets haven't had any serious medical issues yet, but all animals have had regular vet check ups.
I'd appreciate it if you could give me some feedback, and help me make a decision on what to do, DH and I really want this dog but are unsure if it's really meant to be. If you have any questions feel free to ask away.
If you made it through that thanks for reading.