i got in to see my OB today. didnt learn anything i didnt know. i have 3 options: wait it out, try cytotec, or d&c. obviously waiting it out isnt going to happen- my baby died 6 weeks ago. apparently the fetus/embryo? is measuring only 3.3 mm, and the fetal sac has collapsed and is getting smaller. i guess my body is reabsorbing stuff, i have no idea. she said if i choose to wit it out, i've got a week- there is too much risk of infection/hemorrhage/etc. next option is cytotec, which is a synthetic prostaglandin that is supposed to soften/maybe dilate your cervix and maybe stimulate uterine contractions (i dont know anymore, ive read too many conflicting things and its all a blur anyways). this is what i tried last time, and it didnt work, though i only tried it for 2 nights. or there is the d&c. i couldnt make up mind mind right there in the office, and she understood, and so she gave me a prescription for 5 days worth of cytotec, and also gave a not to dr. clague, the other OB who will be on call tomorrow, so i can go in for a d&c tomorrow afternoon if i want.
ok im just going to hash this all out:
pros to cytotec:
-dont have to have general anesthesia
-no risk of uterine puncture, damage to cervix, etc
-no increased risk of future m/c
cons to cytotec:
-could take a week
-might not work- need d&c anyways
-more physically painful
pros to d&c
-get it over with all at once
-only minimal cramping and bleeding after
cons to d&c
-risk of uterine puncture, etc
-slightly higher risk of future m/c
i have no idea what to do. there are risks in either case. both suck. i hate this. i cant figure out what to do. i know you ladies cant make my decision for me, so i guess i dont know what im asking for.
I know only you can make this decision! I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and your angel now, and hoping everything goes as well as it can during this difficult time! (((HUGS)))
i agree-it has to be what feels best for you. I know alot of ladies on here, like myself, just couldn't bear the thought of seeing our baby if you choose to take the meds and m/c naturally...for me, i chose a d&c so I could avoid that...but a lot of people can handle it and like you said, it is non-invasive which of course is better for you. I'm so sorry-i carried my 1st m/c for 6 weeks also, not knowing until i went in for a routine appt. B/C of the risk of an infection, my dr didn't give me a choice-i was scheduled for a D&C the next morning.
I know how hard it is and I hope you find support here on this board. Take your time and make your choice...do what feels right for you.
A friend on mine chose cytotec and I chose D&E. She made that choice because she is a OB nurse and she "knew too much" about the D&C AND she knew her nurses (she is actually the administrator now) would be prepping her etc. Her hindsight was "hell no, I will never take the Cytotec again." I took that "advice" to heart. Also, the cytotec isn't a guaranteed to do anything except make you miserable. It may not work, and you may have to have the surgery anyway.
Since you are asking for advice, mine is to go with the D&C or just wait it out and miscarry on your own (if that is an option).
Sorry you have to go thru this!!
I had a natural miscarriage on February 1, not because I waited it out, but because it actually happened quite suddenly. I didn't even see my doctor until after I had already started bleeding heavily. However, if I had to choose between Cytotec and a D&C, I would choose the D&C, because from what I have heard, if Cytotec works, it causes a very painful miscarriage. If your doctor knows what she is doing, there will be no uterine puncture or damage to cervix. I had general anesthesia when I got my wisdom teeth pulled out, and it was no big deal. If you have a D&C, there is a lower risk of infection, and you will have much less physical pain. However, ultimately, it is your decision, and you should do whatever you feel is best for you.
I chose the D&C because I couldn't bear dealing with a natural miscarriage or taking the meds. I have also heard from several people that the meds are very painful and there is always a risk that I might have needed a D&C anyway. I really wanted to get it over with and try to move past this loss.
Good luck in your decision
I am sorry for your loss and that you have to deal with that kind of decision.
I'm also sorry you have to make this decision and sorry you are going through this.
I've had 2 m/c's "naturally" and I'd never wish that on my worst enemy. I haven't had a D&C, but my friends who have had them said they were quick and relatively painless procedures. Since Cytotec didn't work for you the first time, I'd assume the chances of it working this time are low.
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. KUP with your decision.