I posted yesterday that I found out on Friday this pregnancy has resulted in a blighted ovum. I am having a 2nd u/s on Wed to confirm and then decide what to do next. My doc originally said that I would not need a D&C and they would give me pills to induce a m/c. But now I wonder if I would prefer to have a D&C. I am just so unsure. With the pill, does anyone know how long it can take to work? What is the follow up like to make sure everything is out? Is the recovery longer for the D&C? These are questions I will definitely ask my doc, but just wondering if anyone who has been through it has any insight. Can you think of any other questions I should ask my doc? Thanks so much in advance!
I have had 2 D&C's because too much time had passed between when my babies actually died and when we found out. The risks with a D&C are higher than taking the pill because of the anesthesia and a surgical procedure. You would have a few mild cramps afterwards and then bleed for a few days. It is not painful. Taking the pill you would of course have to pass the baby which you would want to prepare yourself for. I know i personally couldn't handle it and was glad when my doctor didn't even ask what I wanted to do, but some people can-so i say whatever your preference is, talk to your doctor and let him know. I only know one person that has taken the pill and they said they just bled for a few days afterwards.
Either way, I'm sorry again for your loss-there is no easy way to get through this but hopefully the support from the ladies on this site will help. Take care!
It really depends on how far along you are. And then it depends on what you can emotionally tolerate. Passing the baby naturally is longer, and generally more painful. You also run the risk of infection (depending on how long your cervix stays open). Also I have read it can take up to six weeks to miscarry naturally. This pill will speed the process up, but it will still likely be painful and long. However, I truly believe, that this is the best for you physically. I, myself, wanted to go this route when I m/c at 15 weeks. However, you have to be able to handle it emotionally, which is not something I was prepared to do, inspite of thinking it was the better route physically.
I actually had a D&E, which is a little different, but the recovery etc. are pretty much the same. It is surgery, so you have those risks, plus there are very minimal risks of hemmorage, perforation of the uterus, and even hysterectomy. Those risks are very minimal, and IME the procedure itself was great (as far as that can be, KWIM?). I bled for a bit afterward, like a postpartum bleed. Doc put me on meds (Methergine) to stop the bleeding. That was Thursday morning, and I have not bled since it stopped completely that afternoon. The physical pain was minimal....only slight cramping, and practically nothing after they turn of the Pitocin.
It's totally a personal decision. For me, right after the D&E was over, I was very glad I made the choice to do it. It wasn't bad, and it allowed me to begin moving on an healing.
I think it depends on how far along you are. Personally I could not m/c naturally, passing the baby naturally would have mentally destroyed me. I had delivered my daughter naturally at the hospital and then had a d/c to remove the placenta. I was 16 weeks. I hope whatever you decide you find peace in.
With both of my losses I opted for natural m/c (both blighted ovums). I felt better about letting my body handle things and it worked out better for me. I think it should be your personal choice though, as long as there isn't a reason medically that you would need the D&C.
With my m/c I decided to let nature take it's course. My SIL had recently taken the pills and had horrible vomiting and diarrhea, which are 'normal' side effects. I didn't want to take the risks of surgery, either.
I miscarried 6 days later. The whole process took about 4 hours. It started with PMS style cramps for a couple of hours (I could still make dinner, etc, but they were annoying.) Then, the contractions got stronger and closer together. For the last hour, I laid on the bed, not wanting to talk to anyone, but it was definitely bearable. You could always get some pain meds from your doc if you were worried.
Once everything came out, the cramping subsided almost right away.
I hope you find something that works for you. Everyone is different.
Personally i couldnt handle having a natural m/c. Plus after 3 weeks my body didnt seem to be doing anything. The D+C was no where near as bad as i thought it would be, just period type crampy and heavy bleeding for 2 days, then no cramps with on off light bleeding since. - it has no been 1 week 3 days. I was also advised that i may have to have a D+C anyway if my body didnt m/c properly. I am glad i made the choice i did now, i think it has enabled me to try and move on and look to the future a little more. I hope this helps (((HUGS)))
I tried to wait it out for a natural miscarriage, my doc advised waiting only 2 weeks, since my sac was only 6wks, and I should have been 9wks. Anyhow, at 11 wks I had the d&c. I bled heavier the first few days, and then light bleeding on and off for 2wks. I took the pain meds as everyone advised, and it did help, though I hate the side effects of pain meds, and besides the emotional stuff, it made me really ornery.