I have had two d&cs. The first d&c was 7 sep 2007. My ob advised to prevent for 2 cycles after, which we did. We got our bfp in Apr 2008, so 5 months of trying. Unfortunately that pregnancy ended in another d&c. That d&c was 30 may 2008, and again, two months of preventing. I am just entering cycle #6, with no bfp yet.
I don't think there is a definite time frame, depends on you and your body, and unfortunately your body can get all thrown off after. All of my pregnancies have varied in the length of time it took to get pregnant: 2mo, 9mo, 3mo, 5mo, and currently going on 6mo.
I think it is different for everybody but my dr. told us to wait 2 months before TTC after the D & C.
Last edited by tntd; 01-02-2009 at 08:47 PM.
My doctor said wait 3 full cycles. I did not. I miscarried in March and was pregnant in May. I lost the 2nd baby just weeks after finding out. It seemed that either the baby stopped developing very early or it was a blighted ovum. They did not "blame" it on not waiting....but a specialist said I really should have waited the full 3 cycles as the D/C can be hard on your uterus and it can take some time for things to heal. So the 3rd time I waited the full three months and on the 4 month I was preggo again for the 3rd time and it ended with a healthy boy.
I know right now it probably feels like all you want is to hold your baby in your arms. I wanted so badly to be pregnant again (hence all the pregnancies right in a row (Jan...May....and then October) But heal a little first if you can. I hope that you too will have a healthy little one on the way again soon.
That being said, my dr. recommends trying again immediately as there is some evidence that right after d&c/mc/birth may be the best time to conceive. I am using a fertility clinic, so there is a lot more monitoring both before and after conception...
I don't plan on waiting. My follow up in Monday but I'm pretty sure she already said right away was fine.
Dylann 11/03, Drew 6/05, Daisy 4/10
I am very sorry for the loss of your baby.
After my D & C, my GP and ob/gyn had two very different opinions about when to TTC again. The GP said to wait two months, but the ob/gyn said that there's no set time (that everyone's body is different, and that the same woman can have very different experiences from one pregnancy to the next).
I have a great GP but my ob/gyn is one of the absolute best in our country, and he has specialised in this for nearly 40 years. So I sided with him. Nonetheless, I believe the verdict is still out.
I wish you the very best when TTC. I hope all goes perfectly the next time, and that you have a healthy, full term baby in your arms.