I need some advice *UPDATED* (m/c ment)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852
I need some advice *UPDATED* (m/c ment)

Hi ladies! I have a question and I thought this would be a good place to start since everyone here has unfortunately faced a loss.

Last week my OB did an ultrasound and said something was very wrong. He said there was no h/b even though I kept seeing this flutter..anyway there were two sacs and he said one was a hemmorage..which didn't make sense since it was so contained.. and that I would misscarry and have a d&c since I was about 8 weeks at the time. He said they would to some bloodwork just to be sure.

Well, the bloodwork came back fine. My levels are all great. So my question is: To anyone who has had a similar situation (a m/c that doesn't pass naturally, or no h/b at an ultrasound) what were your hcg and progesterone levels like? If the baby really was gone, why would my levels still be up?

I have another ultrasound tomorrow so I guess I'll know then but the uncertanty is making me not trust my doctor. The nurse seemed like she was saying everything was ok on the phone with my results. Weird!

**UPDATED 10/25** Well ladies, I'm home from the D&C. I now officially have three reasons in heaven to join you Sad No one mentioned how painful this procedure would be, but it's nothing next to the emotional trainwreck I've been through in the last week. Thanks for the support during this difficult time! I am very sad that there are so many here..I've been reading all of your stories and am very very sorry that each of them must exist.

Uropachild's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 1176

I am sorry, i dont have much advice as my losses were later on, but i will say, if you arent comfortable with having a D&C yet then you dont have to have it. You wait as long as you feel comfortable before doing anything.

Also, HCG levels arent a very good indicator of much on their own. You need to have a second draw done 48 hours after the first and if the pregnancy is healthy your HCG levels will double, but if it isnt they will decrease. I dont know anything about Progesterone levels.

Best of luck at your ultrasound today. I really hope that it works out for you. Let us know wont you? Smile

shellyhudson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/13/07
Posts: 814

I am sorry about the way that you have been treated by your doctor. I agree with Sara that if you are not comfortable with having the procedure, then you should wait. I hope that all is well. Please keep us posted. I am praying for you.

Shelly

harmonybear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/06/07
Posts: 639

I went in for an u/s when I was 7 weeks 6 days, and they didn't see a heartbeat. My OB said that I was early enough that he would let me miscarry naturally. So unless your OB has a good reason for wanting you to have a D&C (my baby hadn't grown like it was supposed to, so that might have influenced the decision), I would ask him to give you time to have a natural m/c if that's what you want.

I absolutely would push for a second ultrasound before consenting to a procedure that could kill the baby if it were still alive. If you feel like you saw a heartbeat, I would refuse a D&C or medicine until you can confirm the diagnosis.

I hope the doctors were wrong, and that your baby is still alive, but I know from my own research after coming home from my ultrasound that the likelihood of that happening is very small. Sad

We're thinking of you....

newbie2all's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 2 months ago
Joined: 02/02/07
Posts: 93

Don't give up yet. What Uropa child said was true. THey need to recheck to see if the HCG is doubling 48 hrs later. If so, good sign! If not, maybe not so great. However they could possibly stay the same for a little bit if the baby is not well before falling. And I would definitly want a 2nd U/S. But if the #'s going up right on! I hope they do for you!

Offline
Last seen: Never ago
Joined: 08/29/07
Posts: 22
M/C Ment

M/C MentYou say there ware two sacs. One of my friends was pg with twin. Her blood work was fine just like your but one off the baby hairt was not betting. So do loss that little one, but her other baby is now a helthy and happy 2 year old. If you see a flutter insisted on a onther doc doing a U/S. You have the right to make share if you are at all dotfally.

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

Let us know how you are doing...you'll be in my thoughts....

lexirunner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/10/06
Posts: 460

I went in for a normal OB appt. and ultrasound at 9 weeks and they couldn't find a heartbeat on the portable machine. We were then referred to the ultrasound experts and they did a more advanced check for a fetal heart tone. Our baby still had no heartbeat, and there were no flickers or anything. My levels were normal that day because it had just happened with in the last day or two of my appt. I would insist on a second opinion from a professional.

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

If you don't feel comfortable doing a D/C then don't. If you numbers are going up and the heatbeat is there then I would have hope that is a viable pregnancy. Don't do anything you aren't ready for. Just wait and see.

Jessa_2213's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 3 months ago
Joined: 11/13/06
Posts: 129

Please check back in. I want to know if your baby is okay... that would be a miracle.
I agree with all the PP... do NOT have the d&c unless you're absolutely sure its what you want, you don't want to leave any doubts that the baby might be okay because the guilt you would feel later would be horrible. I found myself second guessing my d&c many many times... I can't count how many times I wondered if maybe he would have been okay if I'd just let him be, but I didn't know that natural m/c was an option then... I didn't find out that I had options until after I found this wonderful board. I was just doing what the doctor said. Please, for your own sanity...just make sure the decision you make is one you'll be okay with later. (not that loosing a child is ever a decision you'll be okay with... or even a decision for that matter, I know if we had a choice everyone of us would have healthy beautiful children)
Also, I'm so sorry that you ever had to come find us in the first place. ((hugs))

~Jessa~
Mommy to angels:
Liam & Alana

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately we had another ultrasound today and there is still no heart beat. Just a sac with a baby, an empty sac he's insisting is a sealed off bleed, and some huge cysts.

I'm supposed to go tomorrow for a D&C. They're not giving me much time to decide! He didn't even offer to give me anything to help me miscarry, or suggest that I wait it out. He said at this stage I would end up in the hospital when I miscarried anyway.

Uropachild's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 1176

Honey that isnt true! Many many women choose to miscarry naturally and if you feel that you want to try and do that then you insist!

It's not fair that he is trying to push you into something that it seems you aren't 100% comfortable with.

Why dont you ask him to compromise? Leave it a couple of weeks and see if you miscarry on your own and if not then go in for the D&C if you want to? He really shouldn't be pressuring you. It will do no harm leaving you for a couple of weeks.

:bighug:

I am so so sorry for your loss. I was really hoping they'd got it wrong.

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

i was hoping you'd get better news...sorry. I hope you can work something out with your dr that you are comfortable with.

flutterby4's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 1 month ago
Joined: 09/04/07
Posts: 219

First of all, I am so sorry that you have to go through this. Secondly, for me, we found out at 10 weeks that the baby's heart had stopped at 8 weeks. I had not started to m/c on my own, but we did opt for the medication to start the m/c rather than a D&C. My DH actually made this decision because I was just crying and kept asking him what to do. He says that he thought we should do the meds because it was less invasive, the recovery time was less, the wait to have the m/c wasn't as long and knowing the baby was still there but the heart had stopped really bothered me, you get the idea. Anyway, I was given the meds and sent home with many pain pills. I had a follow-up appt the next day and I had m/c completely by that time. I never got an infection, the pain was really bad that night at home, but after that night it was over. I bled for about a week after fairly lightly, but 24 days later my cycle came again. So, I told you all of that because you do not have to have a D&C, you do have options, everyone is different, but it is YOUR choice what to do now. There may be more to it with the 'extra sac', but I don't know. I hope you find the answers you need. We're here if you need us.