Updated on my 4/8:
As suspected last Friday, the baby's heart had stopped today so I'm going in for a D&C in a few days. Unfortunately, there's more worry. They found excessive amounts of fluid around my ovary and feel there's a chance I might also have an ectopic - extremely rare to have both an ectopic and uterine pregnancy with a natural pregnancy but more common with IVF and since I'm seeing fertility specialists even though this was a natural pg, they are more familiar with this. So, I'm also going to have exploratory laparoscopy when they do the D&C to see what's going on. I can't believe we've gone from lots of positive to lots of negative.
I really do appreciate e1's support and responses - they've been really helpful. It's so great we have a place like this to share our feelings and get reassurance about our decisions.
I was told about this board after I posted on the "pg after a loss" page and I was glad to have found it.
After a miracle pregnancy in February, this Friday I found out the baby is not growing and although the heart was beating, my doctor was rather confident it would stop soon (measured 6 weeks when I'm closer to 8 weeks and heart beat was 115.) This was my third ultrasound and the baby never measured over 6 weeks, even though the heart has beaten slowly.
I say it was a miracle pregnancy because we've only ever conceived before with help of fertility treatments (DD born 9 months ago and I had another m/c in April 2006.)
So, now I'm left sitting here wondering what's going to happen next. My doctor says he's quite confident the baby will pass away soon and that I'll either miscarry on my own or have a D&C. He wants to do another ultrasound next week to confirm all this. I have definitely lost all of my pg symptoms now, so I figure he's right.
I really don't want another D&C, even though it's efficient. I don't know why I feel this way, but I guess that since this was my first natural pregnancy, I feel like it should end naturally also. But, I don't know how long this whole process will take? And, I'm in agony just feeling like I'm waiting for my baby to die. Plus, I'm worried that I'll be at work or something and start having the m/c right there. I never told anyone I was pg and really don't want to have to start explaining that I'm having another m/c.
How did others make their decision on whether to go for a D&C or wait for a natural M/C? I know my doctor will highly recommend the D&C if the ultrasound shows the heart has stopped next week.
I'm just feeling pretty hopeless...this will be my 2nd 'missed m/c' in 3 pregnancies and I'm almost 40, so I figure the chances of TTC #2 are pretty slim.
Thanks for any advice.