Expecting Our First Little One - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Expecting Our First Little One

  1. #41


    I can't believe how close we are getting. Only 33 days until my due date! I have another doc appt tomorrow after work, and I'm really looking forward to it. Nothing unusual about it, but I'm so excited to be so close and I guess this is just one more way for me to obsess.

    I'm still getting bigger, but my belly button still hasn't popped out yet. Not sure that it will, but it's definitely a lot smaller than it was before. And just when I thought that I was moving really slow, I land up slowing down even more. It takes me quite a while to get in & out of the car, or for me to walk down the hall to the bathroom. Of course, I just find it amusing, and it's not like anyone expects any different from me.

    I've got my diapers!!! I've taken pics but haven't yet loaded them onto the computer. Ryan gave me the funniest looks while I was photographing them, and then I proceded to go upstairs & take pictures of my new rocking chair. I think Ryan figures I've lost my mind... I'll have to post the pics later on when I'm home.

  2. #42


    36w exactly! That means only 4 more weeks to go...

    Just within the last week things have begun to get quite uncomfortable in some ways. When I was walking today I found that my bladder was getting more & more pressure on it, and I felt like I really had to go even when I didn't. Getting in & out of bed or the car are getting even more difficult, though I'm still managing. I just take my time & try to move carefully. I'm thinking that all the pulling I'm feeling on my muscles & whatnot right now is just that much less that my body needs to do when I go into labour. Or at least that's a much better way to think about it rather than just getting grumpy.

    My replacement for work started today, so over the next few weeks I get to pass off more & more stuff to her. She seems really nice and quite keen, which is good. I don't think we are going to have any problems whatsoever in getting her up to speed, and I highly doubt that I will be coming back to any sort of a mess after my year of maternity leave.

    I am trying to get a little more sleep lately though. I'm finding myself feeling quite lazy & sleepy throughout the day. I think if I had started my maternity leave already, I would probably just be sleeping for most of the days. And I'm sure Ryan would be quite jealous...

  3. #43


    37 weeks - I'm finally full term!!!

    I hit the 20 lbs mark yesterday, which I think is really good since I'm almost at the end. Hopefully I'll be able to get into really good shape while I'm off. And I happen to reconnect with an old college friend recently who, it turns out, lives very close by and would make a really good work out partner while I'm off. We're thinking of even taking some classes like pilates, which I absolutely love!

    I have my prenatal appointments every week now starting on Thursday. I also have my Group B Strep test this week. Not really looking forward to it, but then I'm not really worried about it either. My doc is really good & I tend to feel very comfortable with her, plus I think the closer I get to having this baby, the less self conscious I feel. Not sure why that is, but it's definitely good timing.

    Unfortunately my brother & his girlfriend are having problems right now, so he's staying at my mom's house for the time being. I have to admit though, we sure benefit from the situation. Not only do I get to see more of him since he is so close, but also Ryan gets to carpool with him. If it lasts that long, then it'll also be nice that it wouldn't take him too long to get to the hospital when I go into labour. Of course, I hope they are able to patch things up well before then.

    It's getting a lot harder to go to work. Part of me is regretting not taking a couple weeks off before the due date, which would make this my last week. I am getting pretty organized at work and focusing mostly on passing my outstanding stuff to my replacement, but it's still hard to get up in the mornings and drive myself here. My mom would drive me, but she's been working really hard on getting my gramma's house ready to sell, which she wants done and out of the way before this baby comes (so that she doesn't have any distractions from her grandson).

    To think that in a month from now, I'll (likely) no longer be pregnant, but will be a mother! It's really hard to believe....

  4. #44



    Um, yeah... only 12 days left until my EDD!!! I can't believe how close I really am. It hasn't completely hit me yet that I'm going to be going into labour soon. Even though I have had some signs recently...

    Last Friday while I was at work I started getting some minor contractions. It was kinda funny, really, b/c at the time I was sitting at my desk talking to & training my replacement. When I told her what I was feeling her eyes got really big & she looked a little worried, as if I was going to have the baby right then & there... I told her not to worry, of course, and I was pretty relaxed about the whole thing. Actually, it was kind of exciting b/c it made everything feel more real, but they weren't intense or frequent enough for me to think that it wasn't just false labour. Plus I haven't noticed any loss of mucous plug or my water breaking yet.

    The contrax continued throughout the night & into Saturday. The most intense ones were in the middle of the night when I had to get out of bed & stay on my hands & knees (on top of the bed) for a little while just to get comfortable. Then I crawled back under the covers & went back to sleep just like nothing happened... They weren't painful really, just a little uncomfortable. By Saturday eve the contrax had taperred off completely, and I haven't noticed any since. HOWEVER - I have noticed that I am a LOT more uncomfortable since, and I am walking with much more of a waddle than before. My legs are hurting with a much more furocious intensity, and I'm having even more difficulty getting in/out of the car or bed. So yeah, I wonder if the contrax caused baby to drop... that's what my mom, Ryan, and my friends/colleagues think. Apparently I look like I'm carrying pretty low now (though it's hard for me to tell b/c I think I always did to some degree).

    In any case, based on how uncomfortable I am right now and how immobile I've been, I've decided to start my mat leave a little earlier than originally planned. Tomorrow is my last day!!! The reality of being off for an entire year hasn't really hit me yet, and I'm sure that the adjustment will be a big one (not even including the adjustment of having a baby!), but I am looking forward to it. I wonder how hard it will be to come back after my year is up.

    Ryan is freaking out a bit since the contrax. It's cute, really. He had been procrastinating with some of the preparations for baby, such as getting the car seat set up and bringing the bassinet upstairs. Now it seems as though HE has the nesting instinct going on while all I want to do is rest. He's much more on top of things and has even been keeping the kitchen quite clean. I'm very impressed!

    One other thing that I've noticed within the past couple weeks is that my appetite has been quite high. I'm still only between 20-22 lbs above my pre-preg weight, and it's not increasing very fast, so no worries there... but I feel like I just can't stop eating. It varies a little day to day but overall I'm sure I must be eating more than normal. In fact, I think it's about time to walk over to the cafeteria & pick up some breakfast.

    Oh, and both today & tomorrow I get to go with friend/colleagues for lunch to celebrate. How fun all the attention is. I can't wait until I get to bring baby in to show off to everyone!

  5. #45



    I really enjoyed all the sleep I got during my first week on mat leave, but now I'm ready to meet my son. I'm much too bored & lonely to be home by myself every day.

    I'm still feeling really good considering, but I notice the aches & pains still increasing. My left hip joint has been a little strained, my lower back is pretty sore when I stand for more than 5 minutes, etc. Nothing that I really see as worth complaining about, but noticeable nonetheless.

    Baby is getting so big it's just amazing. I keep getting lopsided and big lumps sticking out, which I think is so halarious. People aren't feeling the movement of my tummy any more (since he doesn't have a lot of room to give many swift kicks anymore), but rather feeling the big hard lumps sticking out, which is normally a bum or foot.

    The only real problem lately is that my house is such a mess and I don't have the energy to clean it. Mostly it's the living space downstairs that's messy, and the upstairs isn't so bad - not only is that opposite than normal, but it's more noticeable to my guests. I gotta get my butt in gear & get straightened up. Hopefully that burst of energy will kick in soon. The good thing though is that I did wash the diapers & baby clothes, and the hospital bags are mostly packed (with the exception of things like my hair dryer, which I'm using daily so I don't want to pack it yet).

    I haven't lost my plug at all yet (that I've noticed), and I don't have many contrax at all (only a few BH when I do lots of walking). I wonder how long I still have to go. Only 2 more days until my due date! Sounds like this little one is going to be late. Must be a little too comfy in there....

  6. #46


    Well, Arland is 4 weeks old today. I realize it took a while to post his birth story (or even announcement), but unfortunately we've only just left the hospital a few days ago due to some complications after his birth. So here it is!

    Arland Jace is finally here!!!

    The day before our due date I went into labour. It started in the morning and at first I just thought I was having tummy troubles. Then I realized that the crampiness was coming at fairly regular intervals. I slept through the first couple hours, so I can't be sure exactly how long I was in labour for, but I would estimate about 10 hours of early labour (which was very easy). The timing was pretty good as far as everyone's work schedules go. My mom only left work a little bit early, came straight over & helped me get ready to head to the hospital. My brother & Ryan both arrived home around 5pm, and that's when we headed out. The contractions were still really easy and my water hadn't broken yet, but my mom wanted to head up to the hospital right away since the contractions were only 4 minutes apart and it takes a while to get to the hospital (especially since it would be rush hour traffic).

    When we got to the hospital the doc wanted to break my water & get things going, but we decided to hold off. He didn't seem happy about it, but things landed up starting on their own right away anyway as I started active labour shortly after he examined me. I was around 2.5 - 3 cm already, according to the doc. They admitted me & then it was just a matter of waiting. My brother stuck around for quite a while, and then it was just my mom & Ryan with me towards the end. They were very helpful and tried to do anything they could to help me through the contractions, but it seemed that I was only comfortable laying on my sides in bed (much different from what I expected), and it turns out I had back labour.

    After a while the nurse came by with drugs. I chose not to get the epi, but she & the doc wanted me to have a mix of morphine & gravol to help me sleep through some of labour since they figured it would be a long night. When she told me I was still only at 3 cm then I accepted. They promised that it wouldn't affect the baby, and that it would be worn off a few hours before he was born. Thing is, the drugs really didn't feel like they did anything to me. Then they gave me a bit of the gas which only made me kinda dopey, but then I was able to sleep between contrax. It was really weird - being WIDE awake for each contrax, and asleep for the 2 minutes between.

    Once I got to the transition phase I started screaming for the nurse to get the doc b/c the baby was coming. She didn't believe me b/c it had only been 8 hours of active labour, but then when she checked me I was almost fully dialated (she said it was like 9 & 3/4). A few minutes later she checked again and just as she was looking my water broke & came rushing out. I'm pretty sure she was drenched... She tried to get the doc as quickly as she could, and there was merconium in the water so they also grabbed a pediatrician.

    When I started pushing, I suppose I was a little too good at it b/c the doc told me to slow down to make it easier on my son. He kept telling me to push just a little bit, then stop, then a little bit again, then suddenly he was shouting to stop but my son just came flying out. Ryan & my mom said it looked like the nurse only barely caught him!

    Ryan watched the whole thing, including the afterbirth, even though he planned to only look at my face the whole time. Turns out he has a stronger stomach than he thought.

    When Arland came out, he was "sunny side up" (hence the back labour), was a brow presentation (his forehead first rather than the back of his head), and the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck twice. Yeah, talk about a statistical anomaly. His face was completely bruised, his nose pushed down & off to one side, and his chin all pushed in. He looked like he had taken a real beating. The first thing I heard the pediatrician say was "Wow, that's the funniest looking kid I've ever seen". Ok, that probably wasn't the most appropriate thing for him to say, but honestly I didn't care. At least he was MY funny looking kid!

    Arland was born 7lbs 15oz, Oct 23 @ 3:48am - right on his due date!

    I had to have a few stitches, which unfortunately was done by a doc that was training. I started screaming from the pain & the other doc came over & gave her heck b/c she messed up the local freezing (maybe she forgot to give it to me or something??) It took about a 1/2 hour for her to finish & I really wanted to kick her in the head! Otherwise I healed quite quickly & nicely, as I was walking around on my own right away & what not. All the nurses kept saying that I'm made for having babies & I'll have to come back next year...

    It's been quite a journey already, and I look forward to everything that is still to come. I've started a baby journal here for anyone that is interested: Arland ~ Our Special Little Man

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions