We made it!
Tonight we pick up my Mom from the aiport and then Luke can come anytime! I cannot tell you how relieved I am right now. I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off of my shoulders. Yes, a bit overdramatic, but I feel SO much better about everything now that I'm actually smiling and bouncing around (as best as I can being this big).
Did the deed again today and started back on the epo (I promised my Mom I would stop taking it for a few days) and I've have some cramping and a few contractions, but they don't worry me anymore!
Luke Joseph was born on December 19, 2003 at 12:12pm. He was 9lbs 4 oz and 21 inches.
We're adjusting to life with two and bf is going well!
Sara, Mom to Elise (10/01) & Luke (12/03)
I went to my 39 week appointment on Thursday, December 18 thinking that Luke would be here soon. I had been having regular contractions most of the day and I knew that he had waited until my Mom had arrived to make his grand appearance. At the appointment we found out that my blood pressure was elevated (according to one reading) and my urine had a bit of protein. I also noticed that Luke was not moving much on his own so the doctor wanted us to go to the hospital to have blood drawn and to be monitored. I called my Mom and Renee, our doula, and we hopped in the car for the short drive (next door) to the hospital.
After waiting in labor and delivery for over an hour (they were VERY busy), I was finally put into a room, hooked up to the monitors and had my blood drawn. My blood pressure was borderline, but right where it had been for my entire pregnancy. The doctor came by and said that he would like to put me on magnesium sulfate and induce me either that night or in the morning. I did not want, nor did I feel I needed the medicine so I continued to ask the doctor why I needed it when my urine, blood pressure and blood results were all within acceptable range. After going back and forth, I decided that the best course of action was to be induced in the morning and the doctor agreed that I could hold off on the magnesium sulfate as long as nothing changed drastically. I also asked for something to help me sleep so that I would be rested for the morning.
I sent Gary home to sleep for the night and called Renee again. She agreed that our decision was probably best as my blood pressure would continue to be a problem the longer we waited. Having Luke sooner would most probably mean that I could have more of the labor (even though induced) that I wanted.
At 5am, the nurse came in and started my IV of pitocin. I had been contracting through the night so they started me on a very low dose. By 6:30am, I was having regular strong contractions. I was using my meditation CD and it really seemed to help me relax and blow away the contractions. Unfortunately the contractions started to peter out around 7:30 so the nurse upped the pitocin. The contractions increased in intensity, but I was still able to stay fairly relaxed.
Shortly after having my pitocin increased, the doctor arrived and said that he wanted to break my bag of waters. I knew Luke was still quite high and that breaking my bag at this point increased his risk of a prolapsed cord and emergency c-section. I had a feeling Gary didn’t want me to go through with it, but I just had this feeling that going through with the induction was the right thing for all of us.
After breaking my water around 9am, my contractions immediately went from tolerable to extremely intense. I was still only 3 centimeters so I asked if I could have a shot of something to help me rest between contractions since I knew they would not give me an epidural. The nurse gave me a short of nubain and it really did help me rest (even snore) between contractions, but it did absolutely nothing for the pain of the contractions.
To be honest, the rest of the morning is a complete blur to me. I really tried to meditate as best I could to help blow the pain of the contractions away. Renee arrived around 10am and soon after the doctor checked me and I was already at 6 centimeters. She had planned to go home, but realized that I was progressing quickly and decided to stay.
By 10:45, I was “almost” 10 centimeters and they prepped me to push. After pushing for a few minutes, he realized that I still had a lip of cervix in one corner and that Luke was facing up. I was asked to stop pushing, given oxygen and moved to my side to hopefully turn Luke around. The next 45 or so minutes were the most painful that I can recall. Blowing out contractions and ignoring my body’s natural reaction to push was mind blowing. The peak of the contractions were so long that I managed to resist the urge to push until the very end of the peak and then my body just took over and started to slowly push. I felt so out of control and scared, but Renee kept reassuring me and telling me what part of my body I needed to relax. During this time, Luke’s heartrate was also dropping into the 50s. As soon as the contractions ended, his heartrate rebounded, but the doctors and nurses were keeping a very close eye on him. I knew that this wasn’t good, but I was too out of it to get very upset about it and I trusted everyone in the room to make sure that Luke would be okay.
Just after 11:30, the doctor checked me and the lip was gone, but Luke was still facing up. Pushing without any pain medication was scary. I was so concerned that I wouldn’t be able to get him out. I knew there were a lot of factors in my way: Luke’s size, his presentation and his dropping heartrate and I didn’t know how long they would let me try to push him out. At that point, I realized that having a c-section would not be the end of the world if it meant it would all be over and Luke would be fine. Soon after thinking this, I felt Luke’s head crowning and the doctor gave me an episiotomy. Luke’s heartrate probe fell out of his head and the doctor ended up cutting me again to get him out as quickly as possible. I was so exhausted that I could not focus on anyone, not even Luke as he was placed on my belly. I was just so glad that he was out and that he was okay that I started crying. The doctor quickly cut his cord and the nurses took him to suction him out.
I noticed that Luke wasn’t crying all that much, but the nurses and Renee said that he was fine and that he just had a lot of fluid in him. He didn’t need oxygen, just a little extra suctioning. As I was being stitched up, they brought Luke over to me and he was ready and eager to breastfeed.
Again, I want to thank everyone who listened to all the complaining that I did throughout my pregnancy. Luke's birth wasn't exactly what I planned or wanted, but the end result was perfect. Luke is happy and healthy and home with us.
Sara, Mom to Elise (10/01) & Luke (12/03)