Shannan's pregnancy journal
So here's the short version of the intro:
Mike and I were married on 11/21/98 and decided a few years later that we wanted to start trying to have a baby. It took us almost three years and some infertility treatments, but after a laparoscopy, we conceived on our own! Our beautiful Lily Claire was born on 8/25/04.
When Lily was about 1 1/2 we decided to try again. We thought it would be easier the second time around. We did 3 injectables/IUI cycles, then a lap, then 4 rounds of IVF. On the 4th round, we added acupuncture and changed to an antagonist protocol. On 2/16/08, we transferred 3 3-day embryos. I got a positive pregnancy test 10 days later, but my Beta numbers were not good. 41.9, then 84.9, then 439 and finally 2114. It was a terrible few weeks, but we finally got good news.
I had an u/s on 3/12 and we saw one healthy sac. 9 days later, we had a follow-up u/s on 3/21 and saw two heartbeats in that sac. We were shocked and thrilled. One egg took and it had split! I knew there were some concerns with identical twins, but we were still thrilled. Our RE referred us to an MFM (maternal-fetal medicine specialist), who saw us promptly. On 3/25 we had our first MFM appointment and u/s. We were diagnosed with MoMo twins.
The best information on MoMos is here: http://www.monoamniotic.org/public/welcome.shtml
Basically, they are sharing a sac without any dividing membrane. The huge risk is that they will likely get their umbilical cords tangled, but if they pull a knot tight enough circulation can cease for one or both of the babies. Unfortunately, this can happen at any time. We still have some hope that a membrane is there and just not visible at this time (I have read that it's like trying to find a sheet of saran wrap under water). If they are truly MoMo twins, the best case is that I will be able to make it to 24-28 weeks and be admitted to the hospital for continuous monitoring until delivery at 32 weeks. Thankfully, I love my MFM and the hospital where I will deliver has a long-term high-risk OB unit and a level III NICU.
We are terrified that these babies will not make it. I am scared to allow myself to get attached to them... I know that sounds cold, but I don't know what else to do. I don't feel pregnant, and I don't look pregnant yet, but there are clearly two babies in there. We will have u/s every two weeks, where we will hope to see heartbeats and a membrane each time. I'm not sure how to live my life two weeks at a time, from u/s to u/s. Our next one is on 4/9 - which is a week a way, but seems like an eternity.