Mike and I were married on 11/21/98 and decided a few years later that we wanted to start trying to have a baby. It took us almost three years and some infertility treatments, but after a laparoscopy, we conceived on our own! Our beautiful Lily Claire was born on 8/25/04.
When Lily was about 1 1/2 we decided to try again. We thought it would be easier the second time around. We did 3 injectables/IUI cycles, then a lap, then 4 rounds of IVF. On the 4th round, we added acupuncture and changed to an antagonist protocol. On 2/16/08, we transferred 3 3-day embryos. I got a positive pregnancy test 10 days later, but my Beta numbers were not good. 41.9, then 84.9, then 439 and finally 2114. It was a terrible few weeks, but we finally got good news.
I had an u/s on 3/12 and we saw one healthy sac. 9 days later, we had a follow-up u/s on 3/21 and saw two heartbeats in that sac. We were shocked and thrilled. One egg took and it had split! I knew there were some concerns with identical twins, but we were still thrilled. Our RE referred us to an MFM (maternal-fetal medicine specialist), who saw us promptly. On 3/25 we had our first MFM appointment and u/s. We were diagnosed with MoMo twins.
Basically, they are sharing a sac without any dividing membrane. The huge risk is that they will likely get their umbilical cords tangled, but if they pull a knot tight enough circulation can cease for one or both of the babies. Unfortunately, this can happen at any time. We still have some hope that a membrane is there and just not visible at this time (I have read that it's like trying to find a sheet of saran wrap under water). If they are truly MoMo twins, the best case is that I will be able to make it to 24-28 weeks and be admitted to the hospital for continuous monitoring until delivery at 32 weeks. Thankfully, I love my MFM and the hospital where I will deliver has a long-term high-risk OB unit and a level III NICU.
We are terrified that these babies will not make it. I am scared to allow myself to get attached to them... I know that sounds cold, but I don't know what else to do. I don't feel pregnant, and I don't look pregnant yet, but there are clearly two babies in there. We will have u/s every two weeks, where we will hope to see heartbeats and a membrane each time. I'm not sure how to live my life two weeks at a time, from u/s to u/s. Our next one is on 4/9 - which is a week a way, but seems like an eternity.
Today was my appointment with the surgeon re: my gall bladder. I had an attack on 3/16 and an u/s confirmed gall stones. Basically, he said that it definitely needs to come out, but not right now if we can help it. I have to stay on a very restricted diet throughout my pregnancy. Great.
All I want is to sit on my couch with a pint of Haagen Dazs Dulce de Leche.
At any rate, he will monitor me in conjunction with my MFM and they will keep evaluating the situation. If we make it to 32 weeks with the babies, they will be delivered and my gall bladder will be removed in the same hospital stay. If I do end up on the high-risk OB unit (likely), then the surgeon will come visit me every day and supplement with IV nutrition if necessary.
The hard part is that I'm not hungry, I'm supposed to be eating 2,700 calories a day, and it's really hard to get that many calories without eating any GOOD food. Blah. The one time in my life I should be able to eat anything I want and this...
We went this morning for our u/s and MFM appointment. I knew something was wrong right away. Neither baby had a heartbeat.
I'm going in for a D&C tomorrow.
I'm OK. We knew this could happen, and if it had to, better now than 10 weeks from now. As heartbreaking as it is, in a small way, it's a bit of a relief.
We don't know what to do from here, but I'm going to get through the D&C and schedule my gall bladder surgery. I feel like any more fertility treatments might be tempting fate. We have several months to make that decision, though.
Thanks to all of you who have followed my journey.