Can I ask a question?
Hi I didn't know if I should post this in the "main dishes" section, but I do not have a recipe - I am after one!
I was wondering if anyone has any kid friendly recipes that can be done on the stovetop or microwave - I am especially after an Apricot chicken recipe.
Just to explain we are Aussies who have just moved to Taipei, we do not have an oven for baking, so I am trying to find recipes of "old favs" that can be done on stovetop!
Hope you guys can help - meanwhile I will sift through the Main dishes topic and see if there are any in there I can start with.
Thanks in advance.
I found this at www.recipezarr.com ( http://www.recipezaar.com/search/get...id=12583&path= ) That site has a lot of recipes and you can do a quick search for jsut about anything. This was the 3rd one on the list in my search.
(15 min prep, 45 min cooking)
1 (4 lb) chickens, cut into 8 pieces,skin removed
3/4 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 pinch cinnamon
1 pinch salt and pepper
1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
2 onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup liquid honey
2 lemons, sliced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
8 canned apricots, quartered
1. In a bowl combine;cumin, ginger,coriander, tumeric, cinnamon, salt& pepper.
2. Add chicken to evenly coat it with the spices.
3. In a skillet melt butter (oil) and brown the chicken (12 minutes).
4. Drain off all but 1 tbsp fat.
5. Add onions& garlic.
6. Add honey.
7. Add 1/3 cup of stock, stirring and spooning over the chicken.
8. Arrange half of the lemon slices over the chicken.
9. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer, basting occasionally, for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
10. Trandfer chicken to a platter, keep warm.
11. Discard lemon.
12. Over high heat bring liquid to a boil.
13. Blend remaining stock and cornstarch.
14. Whisk into the sauce and cook for about 3 minutes or until smooth and thickened.
15. Add Apricot& remaining lemon, heat through.
16. Pour over Chicken.
Oh! Do you have a crock pot? There are a lot of 1-dish recipes out there for crockpots. Let me know if there is anything else in particular you might be looking for. :)
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and for the great site link!
I don't want to sound ignorant, but what exactly is a crockpot? Is it an electrical appliance? Perhaps we call it something else?
Here are some.
A crockpot is your basic, countertop slow cooker. It is an electrical appliance that comes in many shapes and sizes from 2 quaurts up to I think 8 or 10 quarts. There are very easy recipes made just for crokpots that are oh so yummy!
If you can get one - I would highly recomend it. They are quite handy to have around.
Thanks again! I will see if I can get one here in Taipei - shouldn't be a problem, they sell loads of different stuff here.