Can we get a lowfat recipe sticky? I would love to see what yummy recipes you ladies are using. You can only grill chicken so many times before it gets old.
Drake (9 )
Yes sadly a lot of chicken in our house! I go to The Racheal ray Show website and then I just lighten the stuff up (ie margarine and lesser amounts, light sour cream, fat free half and half etc)
I have a pretty large recipe collection. I don't have nutritional info on all of them, though. Here is a good from BH&G Magazine. I make it when I am craving chinese food... it's so good! Sometimes the Asian egg noodles are hard to find, it all depends on your location/grocery store I suppose. When it is done, I turn the crockpot on the "keep warm" setting and toss in the cooked noodles. That way I just serve from the crockpot. We don't do nuts in our house (allergies) but I'm sure it would taste good with the cashews on top. Tastes great without it.
Pork Lo Mein - Crockpot Recipe
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 6 1/2 to 7 hours (on high) or 3 1/2 to 4 hours (on low setting)
1 1/2 lbs boneless pork shoulder
2 medium onions, cut into wedges
2 cups carrots, sliced
1 (12oz) jar of teriyaki glaze
1 cup thinly bias-sliced celery
1 (8oz) can of sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 (5oz) can of sliced bamboo shoots, drained
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 (6oz) package frozen snow peas
1 cup broccoli florets
9 oz dried thin egg noodles
1/4 cup cashews
1. Trim any fat from pork. Cut pork into 3/4" chunks. In a 4-quart slow cooker, combine all but the last 4 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6.5 to 7 hours or 3.5 to 4 hours on high. Then add frozen peas and broccoli and turn crockpot to high setting for additonal 10 minutes (until pea pods are crisp-tender).
2. Cook egg noodles according to package directions and drain. Serve pork mixture over noodles and sprinkle with cashews.
Nutritional info: Per serving
509 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 2,274mg sodium, 66g carb, 6g fiber, 33g protein.
Provided soy lethicin is okay you can use 98% fat free version of the soup...
non-condensed soup drop water to 1/3 cup
4-6 chicken breast halves
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 1/3 cup water
3/4 cup rice
2 cups frozen mixed veg
pinch black pepper
pinch garlic powder
pinch onion powder
1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 375
In a 2Q shallow baking dish mix everything but chicken, place chicken on top
Bake for 40-50 minutes or until chicken is done and rice/veg are tender
If using cheese add on top of chicken then let stand for 10 min
Stir rice before serving
Amanda ~ DH James ~ DSs Patrick + Daniel
Accept. Understand. Tell a friend. Include. Support. Matter.
Yum yum! Now I'm getting hungry Here is a sweet treat. A staple in my house.
Low fat Banana Bread
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1/4 cup applesauce
* 3 bananas, mashed
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1 tsp vanilla
1. Grease and flour two 7x3 inch loaf pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In one bowl, mix everything together. Stir in nuts if desired. Pour into prepared pans.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Drake (9 )
Does anyone have recipes for fish? One of DH's friends bought frozen fish filets from a food truck and didn't know what to do with it, so now it is all ours (taking up room in the freezer!). There are a few filets of mahi mahi, tilapia, cod, and sea bass. I don't even know what those taste like. I have only ever made salmon like this:
Equal parts soy sauce, brown sugar and water
I season the salmon with a little bit of lemon pepper, then let it marinate in the soy sauce/brown sugar/water mixture for a few hours. Then I throw it on the grill or under the broiler until done (when flaky).
Ashley, I have tilapia in the freezer right now too. Unfortunately, I can't tell you personally how these recipes taste b/c when I went to make them, I didn't have all the ingredients But I will post them all the same from my online recipe box. They sounded sooooo yummy to me!
Broiled Sweet and Tangy Tilapia
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 3 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
* 1 tablespoon melted butter
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* 1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar
* 2 teaspoons honey
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 pound tilapia fillets
1. Preheat the oven broiler. Place a sheet of aluminum foil on a baking sheet, and coat with 2 tablespoons butter.
2. In a bowl, whisk together 1 teaspoon lemon juice, melted butter, mustard, raspberry vinegar, honey, tarragon, salt, and pepper.
3. Place the tilapia on the prepared baking sheet, and broil about 3 minutes in the preheated oven. Turn tilapia, and drizzle with about half the lemon juice dressing mixture. Continue broiling about 3 minutes, turn, and drizzle with remaining dressing. Continue broiling about 2 minutes, or until fish is easily flaked with a fork. Remove from heat, and sprinkle with remaining lemon juice to serve.
Hudson's Tilapia with Dill Sauce
* 4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, or to taste
* 1 lemon, thinly sliced
* 1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise
* 1/2 cup low fat sour cream/ plain yogurt
* 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1. Season the tilapia fillets with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning on both sides.
2. Pan fry with a little olive oil over med. heat until the edges of the fish are crispy and fish is flaky.
3. After removing fish, squeeze lemon over each fillet.
3. Mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic powder, lemon juice and dill in a small bowl. Serve with tilapia.
Drake (9 )
I did vegetarian last night:
Veggie Quesadilla: saute in a little olive oil yellow pepper, half an onion, frozen 10 oz corn, portabello mushrooms chopped and grape tomatoes with a little cumin and pepper/salt to taste.
Place between 2 quesadillas- I used low carb wheat ones with low fat mexican cheese ( a sprinkle) and brol 5 min.
I had this with hollowed out tomatoes filled with parsely, basil, cooked orzo, a little feta cheese also broiled