1 - cake mix (yellow or spice)
15 oz - can pumpkin
1 - egg white
1 teas - gr. cinnamon
1/2 teas - gr. nutmeg
(and since I like cloves, I add....
1/4 teas gr.cloves and somtimes a little dried or freshly zested orange peel)
Mix all of above until light (about 3 min on medium) and then bake according to the cake mix directions. You can use Pumpkin Pie Spice instead of the individual spices if you have it.
They are 2 pt per muffin. They are not really big but I try to get 24 out of this mix. I'll usually make some using my mini muffin pan (for 1 point) and the rest regular cupcake size (2 pts). I have added, on occasion, about 2 tablespoons of finely chopped nuts or even dried cranberries...but this adds points, or rather fractions of points per serving.
Baklava Salmon (Salmon With Honey, Butter, Walnuts, and Mustard)
1/4 cup melted butter
3 tablespoons whole grain mustard or Dijon mustard (or your favorite)
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
4 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
4 (4 ounce) salmon fillets
fresh ground pepper
1 quartered lime or lemon (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°; Line shallow roasting pan with non-stick aluminum foil, or spray with non-stick pan spray.
2. In small bowl, blend butter, mustard, and honey, set aside; in another bowl, mix together bread crumbs, nuts, and parsley.
3. Place salmon fillets on prepared pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and brush with honey-mustard mixture; sprinkle tops with crumb/nut mixture; if any remains, press into sides of salmon.
4. Bake salmon 12-15 minutes in preheated oven, or until it flakes easily with a fork, serve with lime or lemon wedge.
Honey Ginger Grilled Salmon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
1 green onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs salmon fillets
1. In a large self-closing plastic bag, combine first six ingredients; mix well.
2. Place salmon in bag and seal tightly.
3. Turn bag gently to distribute marinade.
4. Refrigerate 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes for stronger flavor.
5. Turn bag occasionally.
6. Lightly grease grill rack.
7. Preheat grill to medium heat.
8. Remove salmon from marinade; reserve the marinade.
9. Grill 12-15 minutes per inch of thickness or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
10. Brush with reserved marinade up until the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
11. Discard leftover marinade.
Salmon with Pistachio Basil Butter
1/4 cup pistachios
10-15 basil leaves
3-4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 cup white wine
4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
1. In food processor, combine butter, pistachios, garlic, basil and lime juice.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat oven to 400.
5. Place salmon in buttered baking dish and cover with wine.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Bake till opaque--about 10 minutes Place 2-3 tablespoons of butter mixture on each piece of salmon.
8. Continue baking until done in center-about 5 more minutes or more (depending on thickness of your salmon).
9. Garnish with additional basil leaves.
10. Serve with rice or angel hair pasta.
Honey Hoisin BBQ Salmon
6 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
Marinade for salmon
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
2 tablespoons roasted garlic, pureed
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
Honey Hoisin Bbq glaze
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Rub the marinade all over salmon and marinate for 2 hours.
2. Preheat grill to medium high.
3. Place marinated salmon skin side down on grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes until skin is crisp and easy to lift from grill.
4. Turn fillets over and baste liberally with honey hoisin BBQ glaze.
5. Continue to cook for another 4 to 5 minutes for medium doneness.
6. Turn fillets over and baste meat side liberally with the glaze before removing from grill.
7. You may cook this in the oven if you so desire.
Salmon in Luxurious Green Sesame Pipian
2 cups roasted tomatillo salsa,
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons tahini, recipe
1/4-1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
4 (4-5 ounce) fish fillets, skinless, such as salmon, halibut, walleye, snapper, stripped bass (buy about 1 1/2 pounds if using fish steaks)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, for garnish
1/4 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. In a blender or food processor, process the salsa to a smooth puree.
2. Heat the oil in a very large (12 inch) skillet over medium high heat. When it is hot, add the salsa all at once. Stir as the salsa reduces to the consistency of tomato paste, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the broth and the tahini. Return to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and let simmer 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt, usually about ½ tsp, and a little sugar. (The sugar will help balance the natural tartness of the salsa.).
4. While the sauce is simmering, pour the peas into a microwaveable bowl, sprinkle on a Tbsp of water, cover with plastic wrap and poke a couple of holes in the top. Microwave on high until the peas are hot and tender, anywhere from 1 minute for frozen peas to 4 or 5 minutes for fresh peas; discard water.
5. When the sauce has simmered for 10 minutes, nestle the fish fillets in it, completely submerging them. Continue simmering gently until the fish flakes when pressed firmly, usually 5 to 6 minutes for ½ inch thick fillets. (Check it by lifting up a fillet on a metal spatula and pressing it with your finger or the back of a spoon.).
6. Transfer a fish fillet to each dinner plate. Spoon a portion of the sauce over the top. Strew with the peas, sesame seeds and cilantro.
8. You can replace the peas with a couple of medium-large red-skin boiling potatoes cut into eighths (microwave them until tender, about 8 minutes). Mix the potatoes into the sauce after transferring the fillets to the dinner plates. A can of white beans makes a great replacement for the peas; drain and rinse them before adding them to the sauce. This dish is also wonderful made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts or semi-boneless quail; poach the birds in the sauce as described or, for added flavor, brown them in oil in the large skillet, then remove them and, without washing the skillet, cook down the pureed salsa. Tahini is an easy addition because it’s smoothly ground, but you can use the very traditional pumpkin seeds or almonds or peanuts; puree them with the salsa, but stir carefully as you cook the mixture down to a paste (it will stick more easily than the salsa alone) After the sauce has simmered 10 minutes, it will likely be quite coarse looking; reblend the hot sauce in a loosely covered blender to smooth it out.
24 ounces salmon fillets (with skin)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon paprika (or substitute)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 tsp coriander
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper
1. Place salmon fillets, skin side down, in shallow glass dish.
2. Pull out any small bones.
3. Whisk together yogurt, coriander, lemon juice, garlic, ginger,cumin, paprika,turmeric, salt, and pepper.
4. Pour over salmon.
5. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
6. Shaking off excess marinade and reserving, place salmon, skin side up, on greased grill over medium-high heat.
7. Cook for 5 minutes.
8. Turn and baste with marinade.
9. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork.
1/2 lb linguine or fettuccine
6 slices bacon, diced
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried basil (leaf not ground)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (leaf not ground)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 (14 ounce) cans canned diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
14 oz salmon broken into bite-sized pieces
3/4 cup heavy cream
parmesan cheese, finely shredded
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and keep warm.
2. In large saucepan cook bacon pieces until crisp; drain; set bacon aside, reserving about 2 tbsp fat.
3. Add onion, garlic, basil, oregano, and peppers to bacon fat; cook 5 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and vinegar; cook over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
5. Stir in salmon and cream; heat through.
6. Serve over hot cooked pasta.
7. Garnish with cheese.
Salmon Wellington (complicated but WELL worth the time)
8 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
1 egg yolk, for glaze
1 package puff pastry
MUSHROOM ONION FILLING
3 tablespoons butter
salt & pepper
1 lb mushrooms, chopped
2 onions, chopped
LIGHT WHITE WINE SAUCE
6 tablespoons dry white wine
6 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons shallots, minced
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons parsley, minced
# Make mushroom onion filling: Melt butter or margarine in skillet and saute onion until lightly browned.
# Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
# Season to taste.
# Remove to bowl and chill.
# *Fillingmay be refrigerated up to 2 days or may be frozen.
# Roll half the pastry on a floured board into a rectangle approximately 14 inches long and 12 inches wide.
# Cut into 4 rectangles.
# Repeat with remaining dough.
# Place salmon fillets on a greased baking sheet.
# Tuck the thinner parts of fillet underneath, making them all the same thickness.
# Divide mushroom onion filling among the fillets and spread evenly on top.
# Cover each with a rectangle of pastry.
# Tuck 1/2 inch of pastry under fillets; trim off excess dough.
# Do not cover the entire bottom with pastry or it will become soggy.
# Brush top and sides with egg yolk glaze, being careful not to let glaze drip.
# Re-roll scraps of pastry and cut out small decorations.
# Place on Wellingtons and glaze the entire pastry again.
# *Maybe refrigerated up to 8 hours.
# Make light white wine sauce: Place wine, vinegar and shallots or onion in medium saucepan.
# Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until slightly thickened and reduced to approximately 4 tablespoons.
# Slowly whisk in the cream.
# Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
# This will take a little time, but as the water evaporates from the cream, it will thicken.
# Season to taste with salt and pepper.
# Stir in chives or parsley.
# Reheat before serving.
# If sauce becomes too thick, thin down with additional wine or cream.
# Serve hot.
# Before serving, bring Wellingtons to room temperature for 1 hour.
# Preheat oven to 425F.
# Bake Wellingtons for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
# At this time, if the fillets are 3/4 inch thick, they will be moist and flaky.
# Spoon a small amount of sauce on each plate, place Wellingtons on sauce and pass remaining sauce.
Salmon Chowder (great for leftover baked salmon)
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
4 cups unpeeled baking potatoes, large dice
2 cups sliced carrots
3-4 bay leaves, torn
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 cup asparagus or zucchini or broccoli coleslaw mix (or any other veggie available)
1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
2 cups skim milk, thickened with 2 t granulated flour (Wondra)
3-4 cups leftover cooked salmon (or a combination of salmon and shrimp or other seafood letovers)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
# In a Dutch oven, saute onion, celery, pepper& garlic in 1/4 c broth til tender Add potatoes, carrots, dill, bay leaf& rest of broth.
# Cover& simmer 20 minutes til veggies are tender.
# Add selected additional veg and cook 5 minutes more.
# Add corn, milk& salmon& liquid smoke and heat thoroughly.
# Adjust seasonings-add salt if needed.
Oven Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
3 sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Peel potatoes and cut into 1" wedges.
3. In a large bowl, toss potatoes with oil.
4. Mix sugar and seasonings together and add to potatoes.
5. Toss until evenly coated.
6. Spread on a non stick baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes until browned and done.
Baked Potato Wedges
4 large potatoes
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Wash potatoes, cut into wedges.
Place potatoes skin down in a baking dish.
Mix the next 6 ingredients together and brush onto potatoes.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour
Lemon Chicken with Pasta
1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
6 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large resealable plastic bag, combine the bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
In a large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute chicken in 4 teaspoons oil until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
In the same skillet, cook onion in remaining oil over medium heat until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually stir in broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Drain pasta; toss with lemon sauce. Serve with chicken; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 (2 1/2 lb) frying chicken, cut up
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, sliced
1-2 clove garlic, smashed
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 cup raisins
2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
1. Coat chicken in flour and salt.
2. Saute in butter.
3. remove and keep warm.
4. Add next 3 ingredients, cook 3 minutes.
5. Blend in next 5 ingredients, mix well.
6. Add chicken, cover, simmer 30 minutes.
7. Garnish with almonds.
1/2 cup tomato juice
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 pound lean ground beef
1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup diced fully cooked ham
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan. In a bowl, combine the filling ingredients. Spread over loaf. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with topping ingredients. Bake 15 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Take any kind of boneless pork roast. Even a rump roast. This turns out so tender, it doesn't matter what you use.
1 12 oz bottle spicy french dressing
One yellow onion (chopped)
One can cranberry sauce with whole cranberries.
Put it in crockpot/slow cooker
Pour in craberry sauce, Dressing, and onion.
Simmer on low for between 7-12 hours.
This is a great side dish...
Broccoli or Cauliflower casserole (I use cauliflower)
- 1 stick butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 pkgs chopped broccoli or cauliflower
- 1 can cream of onion soup
- 4 servings minute rice (boil and add)
- 1 small jar cheese whiz
- 1 large pkg mozzarella cheese ( I use 3 8oz pkgs, I love it cheesy)
Mix together 1st 6 ingredients
Pour 1/2 into large casserole dish and add 1/2 of the mozz cheese.
Pour the rest of the mixture on and top with the rest of cheese.
Bake @ 350 for 60 minutes.
Serves 2, double recipe for four...
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons butter , melted
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon orange juice
1/8 teaspoon curry powder
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
In a small bowl, combine the honey, butter, mustard, orange juice and curry powder. Spoon half into a greased 8-in. baking dish.
In a skillet, brown chicken in oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place over sauce; turn to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Drizzle with remaining sauce. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 2 servings.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
2 chicken breasts, split and skinned
1 (8 1/2 oz.) can unsweetened
1 c. cranberry sauce
2 tbsp. vinegar
2 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 c. chicken broth
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. water
1 green pepper, cut into long, thin
Place chicken in baking dish. Drain pineapple, reserving juice and set aside. In separate saucepan, combine cranberry sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and broth. Then mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water until smooth and add to sauce mixture. Cook sauce until thickened. Add pineapple chunks to sauce an pour over chicken. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Uncover, add green pepper strips and baste with sauce. Bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes. Yield: 4 servings
Panda Express Orange Chicken,
Ready in: < 30 minutes
2 pounds boneless chicken pieces, skinned
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Oil (for frying)
1/2 cup cornstarch PLUS"PLUS" means this ingredient in addition to the one on the next line, often with divided uses
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon minced ginger root
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 dash crushed hot red chilies
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon rice wine
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon sesame oil
***Orange Chicken Sauce***
1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon water
5 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons white vinegar
Cut chicken pieces into 2" squares & place in large bowl. Stir in egg, salt,
pepper & 1 tablespoon oil & mix well. Stir cornstarch & flour together. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat. Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375°F. Add chicken pieces, small batch at time, & fry 3-4 mins or until golden & crisp. (Do not overcook or chicken will be tough.) Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon & drain on paper towels. Set aside. Clean wok & heat 15 secs over high heat. Add 1
tablespoon oil. Add ginger & garlic & stir-fry until fragrant. Add & stir-fry crushed chilies & green onions. Add rice wine & stir 3 seconds. Add Orange Sauce & bring to boil. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed. Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Add to chicken & heat until sauce is thickened. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil & sesame oil. Serve at once. You may want to add grated zest of 1 orange to the sauce ! for flavor.
Chicken & Mushroom Dijon
Prep/Cook Time: 25 min.
2 tbsp. butter OR margarine
4 boneless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 cups broccoli flowerets
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 can Campbell's Cream of Chicken & Broccoli Soup 1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
4 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles
HEAT 1 tbsp. butter in skillet. Add chicken and cook until browned.
Remove chicken. HEAT remaining butter. Add broccoli and mushrooms and cook until tender. ADD soup, milk and mustard. Heat to a boil. Add
chicken. Cover and cook over low heat 5 min. or until done. Serve with
Chicken seasoned with taco seasoning and topped with salsa, then baked.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Ready In: 45 Minutes
Makes: 4 servings
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
Place chicken breasts in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of chicken breasts, and pour salsa over all.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is tender and juicy and its juices run clear.
Sprinkle chicken evenly with cheese, and continue baking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with sour cream if desired, and serve.
Chicken and Artichoke Casserole
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 Tbs (60 ml) butter
1 onion, chopped
1 Tbs (15 ml) paprika
4 Tbs (60 ml) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 ml) white wine
3/4 cup (180 ml) heavy cream, half-and-half, or milk
1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken stock
1 15-oz (425 g) can artichoke hearts, drained
4-6 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
Toasted slivered almonds for garnish
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the butter in a
large skillet over moderate heat and brown the chicken on both
sides. Transfer the chicken breasts to as greased baking dish
big enough to hold them in a single layer. Saute the onion and
paprika in the butter remaining in the skillet until tender but not
brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the wine, chicken stock, and cream and bring to a boil,
stirring frequently. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
Add the drained artichoke hearts to the baking dish and top with
the sauce. Bake covered in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for 1
hour. Garnish with the bacon and toasted almonds. Serves 4 to 6.
They all sound so yummy. Keep them coming..