Sorry I didnt post yesterday, but honestly I was very disappointed and didnt want to talk about it.
So my OB and i discussed last week about setting up the section for 8/31. I will be 36wk 2 days..so full term! Well he comes in the room we discuss the scheduling etc and he sd let me see who else is on call that day, OK. So 5 mins pass and I'm waiting and he comes back in and says that in order to 'schedule' the section for that day I will need an amnio prior to the surgery. WHAT He never mentioned this to me in the past and I got upset. I have already started to count down the days to 8/31 and now he says this!!!! I told him that I dont like needles and that I'm not sure that I can do it! Now I am the one that wants 8/31 (just b/c of the school cutoff date) but if I dont wanyt an amnio the soonest he will deliver me is 9/6... b/c 9/5 is a holiday..blah blah blah... I will be 37 wks and 1 day. I really just want to cry!!!! I am so swollen, my feet, legs , crotch HURT! I can hardly walk because of the pelvic discomfort and I cant bend over, plus, my csection scar is swolllen and hurts too... not to mention I have a cold and dont feel good.
So I have an appt next Tues to see him again and I have to make up my mind on what I want to do. Right now I am really praying that I will just go into labor on my own in the next couple weeks and this wont be an issue, but my cervix is still closed so IDK. I have told DH that he is going to have to perform and I mean ALOT over the next 2 wks, because I am ready!!!! I guess I will be looking at ways to get these girls here sooner then later.
Oh and I forgot to mention that I missed my US because I had my appt time confused, so I have to go back today. Sorry for the whining, but this was not what I expected and everyday is getting harder for me!
Hugs! I am sorry you were disappointed. The end with twins is very hard, I know. However, I know you can do this. My perinatalogist and the hospital I delivered at refused to schedule my c-sec for any earlier than 39 weeks. Why? Because the outcomes for babies, even twins, is better at that gestational age. There are people who will debate that twins need to be delievered earlier, blah, blah, but he said a lot of new research was showing that feeding (sucking reflex and bottle/breastfeeding) outcomes were best when babies were allowed to bake as long as possible.
I guess my question is this, why subject yourself to needles and possible complications for a school cutoff date? One week (or less) is really not that long to wait. I know it will seem like a lifetime and I am sorry you are so uncomfortable. I remember that feeling of wanting the babies to just be born, but in the long run, their health is more important. I know you can do this. Having twins is a marathon and you are almost in that final stretch. Have faith in yourself and feel proud when you have two healthy babies at the end.
You poor thing!!! What on earth?!? I have never heard them demand am amnio?! What will that tell them? Amnio not only is invasive, but it comes with risks (although small) as well....I hope that things go better for you today at your appt. I would stick to your guns if you can about the date you had planned ahead. An extra year of daycare (for 2!!) is a lot of $$.
Can DH come with you to the appt today? Sometimes having someone else there advocating can help.
Otherwise...as you get a bit closer, pull out all the stops to induce labor!!!
This is NOT what you needed to hear as you are feeling so full and ready. I can only imagine....I am starting to feel really full now and I have at least 10 more weeks...
It is my understanding that an amnio will provide information related to lung maturity and such. It is a liability issue. Frankly, I am surprised that the hospital will even allow an elective c-sec at 36 weeks. That is a huge liability issue.
Erin- I really do understand the trauma that comes from paying for daycare. Believe me with three in daycare it is a real stretch to our budget. My daughters' birthdays are in November, so we will pay for daycare until they are almost 6. I have several friends with kids who are born in August had their kiddos in daycare until they were a tad over 6. In Indiana, the cutoff is August 1. It used to be June 1 about 5 years ago. I also understand trying to plan and being mindful of money. I am just not sure it is really worth an amnio, kwim? It seems to me that you probably believe the same thing.
I'm sorry you're having to make a difficult decision, especially when you weren't expecting it. I know that, like you, once I have my heart set on something, I have a hard time accepting it when things change. I hope things just kick in naturally for you when the time is right!
Hmmmm...that stinks. It's hard when you get your mind set on something & it doesn't work out.
If it were me, I'd decline the amnio & then if its that important to you do everything in my power to get labour started around 37 weeks.
It's good to remember that even if you're section was scheduled you could get pushed until after midnight on your date or completely rescheduled due to emergency sections.
Hope you get a good resolution!!
I remember the uncomfortableness all to well. I hope in the end you get what is best for everyone's health. I'm sorry about the amnio requirement, I know I couldn't have done that. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!! Please keep us up to date.