Questions:)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Questions:)

  1. #1
    Prolific Poster demon_misses16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,852

    Default Questions:)

    I mostly lurk around here but I will try and get more "active" now that I am finally getting over morning sickness!

    I have a couple random questions!
    Background on me- I am having identical twin boys. I am 18 weeks along. I also just got diagnosed with minor placenta previa. My peri wasn't too concerned about it though because I will be having a repeat c/s.

    Sleeping situation for the babies- BTDT twin mommas and expecting ones, what did you do/are you planning on doing? My SIL put her twins together in the same bassinet and crib until they started kicking and rolling on top of each other. Do you commonly sleep the babies together? I would assume so, but I just dont know!

    Breast feeding- I plan on bf'ing the babies. Do any of the btdt moms have any useful tips on nursing twins? I nursed my son until my milk dried up at 10 weeks with this pregnancy. I am planning on pumping so I don't constantly have a baby attached to me at all times. Any suggestions.

    Any other useful tips?? Thanks in advance!!
    Destry




  2. #2
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    I have my kiddos together in an Arm's Reach co-sleeper. I also have heard most people put them together until they threaten to roll on top of each other. I haven't even purchased cribs yet.

    Breastfeeding is tough. I'm supplementing big time and doing a lot of pumping. I don't have any advice on that except to get loads of help with it. You're probably way better off having already breast fed your son so you know what you're doing!

    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  3. #3
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    35,417

    Default

    Mine were in a cosleeper until about 5mo, and then they shared a crib until they were 2yrs old (so just a few weeks ago). They never seemed to roll on top of each other, etc. They are now in toddler beds.

    I had placenta previa with my 7yr old, it was scary, so I hope yours stays minor.

    I also bf my twins until they were two years old. Logistically tandem feeding takes some work, but I think at 4mo or so it got much easier to feed at the same time. Before that I typically nursed separately whenever possible, which also gave me cuddle time with each baby. I never had any supply issues, but knew from nursing my other two I probably wouldn't. Plus lots of ppl told me I probably would not be able to nurse twins, so I had to prove them wrong. lol. It saved money and time w/o needing to wash bottles and prepare bottles and what not. I have loved nursing twins!

    I think the SLMOT (salt lake mothers of twins) is having an indoor sale in Feb. I go to the summer one every year and buy stuff at great deals. They have more info on their facebook page if you are interested.
    Rachel, momma to 4
    dd 9, ds 7, twin boys Dec 09
    I nursed my twins for 2years and 2 weeks! A little sad to be all done now.

  4. #4
    Supporter
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Hi and congrats on your identical twins! I haven't posted in a while because I've been dealing with complications ect but really wanted to comment on your identical twin pregnancy.

    I'm 26w3d pregnant with triplet girls, 2 of them are identical.

    Since you are already seeing a peri, you probably know about this but I'm going to share anyway

    Please read and educate yourself on TTTS- Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. Good online resources are www.tttsfoundation.org (they also have a very active FB group) and www.fetalhope.org. Talk to your peri about it and make sure he/she is looking for signs from now until delivery. You should be receiving weekly ultrasounds at this point. And please make sure you have a high protein diet. TTTS only affects 10-15% identical pregnancies so the stats are in your favor. I, unfortunately, am in the 10-15%, plus have SIUGR with my donor baby. I had surgery last week and the babies are doing well. But we have been through weeks of tears and scares and are not out of the woods yet. If I hadn't done my research and been proactive in the management of my pregnancy, who knows where I'd be today.

    I am so sorry if this sounds Debby Downer- I hate sounding that way and hated hearing this info before our identicals showed any issues. But I just wanted to help spread awareness to you and your LO's.

    Best wishes for a healthy and happy rest of your pregnancy!

  5. #5
    Super Poster hopin2bpreggermeggers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelotus View Post
    Please read and educate yourself on TTTS- Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. Good online resources are www.tttsfoundation.org (they also have a very active FB group) and www.fetalhope.org. Talk to your peri about it and make sure he/she is looking for signs from now until delivery. You should be receiving weekly ultrasounds at this point. And please make sure you have a high protein diet. TTTS only affects 10-15% identical pregnancies so the stats are in your favor. I, unfortunately, am in the 10-15%, plus have SIUGR with my donor baby. I had surgery last week and the babies are doing well. But we have been through weeks of tears and scares and are not out of the woods yet. If I hadn't done my research and been proactive in the management of my pregnancy, who knows where I'd be today.
    You're in my T&P!
    Meg and Ed - 8/12/06
    Taylor and Avril - 3/5/12 (after 19 cycles + 3 cycles of fertility treatment)



  6. #6
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    I had the babies in a pack n play in our room. And then @ 8 weeks ( approx) i put them in separate cribs in different rooms. About 1 month later I put them in the same room, different cribs. They are use to each others cry so when one wakes up the other usually stays asleep.

    As for bfing, we have been bfing for 4 months now. Truthfully, it is not as easy to bf twins as a singleton. I breast feed DD1 until 9 months and had no problem in the starting. It was so much more stressful and harder with the babies, especially because we had to try and establish bfing in the NICU which is a stressful place anywhere. I supplement for 1 month which was a lot work and ill admit Im slacking in the pumping department. And I HATE tandem and only do it if absolutely necessary. Although it is getting better because kaylee is bigger now and no longer needs me to help her latch and stay on. And I don't think brad enjoys the tandem because kaylee is always reaching over pinching him, playing with his ears etc. I actually find tandem easier using my bed pillows instead of the feeding pillow and I think they like it better.

    Hope this helps and good luck with the pregnancy, it goes by quickly.
    Krista and Shane 01-07-11
    Sydney 07-28-07
    Bradley and Kaylee 09-06-11

    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

  7. #7
    Prolific Poster demon_misses16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelotus View Post
    Hi and congrats on your identical twins! I haven't posted in a while because I've been dealing with complications ect but really wanted to comment on your identical twin pregnancy.

    I'm 26w3d pregnant with triplet girls, 2 of them are identical.

    Since you are already seeing a peri, you probably know about this but I'm going to share anyway

    Please read and educate yourself on TTTS- Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. Good online resources are www.tttsfoundation.org (they also have a very active FB group) and www.fetalhope.org. Talk to your peri about it and make sure he/she is looking for signs from now until delivery. You should be receiving weekly ultrasounds at this point. And please make sure you have a high protein diet. TTTS only affects 10-15% identical pregnancies so the stats are in your favor. I, unfortunately, am in the 10-15%, plus have SIUGR with my donor baby. I had surgery last week and the babies are doing well. But we have been through weeks of tears and scares and are not out of the woods yet. If I hadn't done my research and been proactive in the management of my pregnancy, who knows where I'd be today.

    I am so sorry if this sounds Debby Downer- I hate sounding that way and hated hearing this info before our identicals showed any issues. But I just wanted to help spread awareness to you and your LO's.

    Best wishes for a healthy and happy rest of your pregnancy!
    I am sorry your pregnancy has been so stressful!! I hope that things go well and will be thinking about you. Thank you for the information. I am currently seeing my Peri every 2 weeks and they are moving to weekly soon I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by rachelrazzle View Post
    I think the SLMOT (salt lake mothers of twins) is having an indoor sale in Feb. I go to the summer one every year and buy stuff at great deals. They have more info on their facebook page if you are interested.
    Oh I would love that!!! Thank you. I was wondering about twin groups here in Utah. Even though I live 2 hours from SLC it would be nice to know about.


    Thanks for all the suggestions. I am glad that this board is available.
    Destry




  8. #8
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    12,822

    Default

    We attempted to have our girls sleep together, but they woke each other up when they moved. So, they slept in their own cribs from 3 weeks on. There are days I wish we would have stuck with them sleeping together. However, I think they are close despite not spending their first few months together. Part of the issue was that S was in the NICU for 2.5 weeks and K got used to sleeping on her own without her constant companion.

    We did not bf, so I have no advice there.

    Best of luck. Keep posting questions. We are all happy to help.
    Melanie
    DS-Isaiah 1/2/04
    DDs- Keira and Sarafina 11/28/09


  9. #9
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Hi Destry,

    We have our boys in the same crib. They're still swaddled & only 3.5 months but I think we'll keep them like this unless there's an issue.

    I nursed my first son!for 18 months & I'm so glad b/c it would have been hard to be a first timer with twins. I think the biggest tip is to nurse them at the same time. Especially if you have Cr?e to tend to. It takes awhile to get used to but it's a learned tool just like BFing all together. I think the biggest issue is that if you do have supply problems the obvious go to is it's b/c of twins but really if there's a supply problem it's the same possible issues for singletons as for twins. Latch, lazy nurser/sleepy nurser, tongue or lip ties. Don't let yourself get discouraged. You can do it!
    Mira
    DH~David
    DS~Finlay Hamish~Dec 20/08
    DS's~Archer Rhys & Harrison Fisher~Oct 14/11

    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions