Now that I'm 20 weeks (tomorrow) and know the genders, you will be hearing from me a lot.
I need all the help I can get.
My shower has been scheduled for Dec 17. I know that sounds early, but we thought Jan. would be too late with bed rest likely on the horizon at some point (I'll be about 29 weeks on New Years).
I went to Babies-R-Us last week to start registering. They were absolutely NO help. It's like they have never seen a twin mom before - couldn't even collapse the twin stroller. I had to figure it out myself. And they couldn't help me figure out what I needed.
So BTDT moms and soon-to-be-moms, what do I need on my registry. More importantly, how much of everything do I need? Double what a singleton would need?
I'm going this weekend to register, so any advice is most welcomed!!!!!!!
I just wanted to say good call on the shower date! That's not early AT ALL. Mine was at 29 weeks, I got permission from my OB to go ahead with it the DAY BEFORE, and it left me completely and utterly miserable with non-stop contractions for two days afterwards. (But it was fantastic and worth it!) Originally they were going to do it this weekend. HA! So glad I asked for the change early on! There's absolutely NO WAY I could leave the house at this point.
As for stuff ... I have no clue. No. Clue. We have piles of things and I guess there are things you'll want to make sure you get like 2 car seats, maybe a double snap-n-go to use at first (I'll be getting a better stroller down the road), and a my brest friend, and a pump. Uh ... yeah, I don't know. People have just been giving me their used stuff. And when I hear something is an absolute necessity (like a swing), we find a way to get one. I found registering was useless anyway since no one wanted to buy the practical things we need like butt cream and diapers. We got loads of clothing. I mean, it's great. We didn't register for any and it all worked out perfectly in terms of a range of sizes.
Its hard to say what you need because every baby is different and enjoys different things. You def need the essentials, diapers, wipes, lots of recieving blankets (in case they spit up alot like mine do) but as for swings and bouncy chairs etc it hard to know. I have both of everything and it turns out Brad hates the swing. Hes happier to be on his belly on the play mat or in his pack'n'play then in either his swing or chair. And kaylee doesn't enjoys the bouncy chair either so they just sit in the corner collecting dust. Bumboo chairs are great though and come in handy. I wouldn't buy too much clothes either. I bought a bunch of outfits that matched in the same size and can't wear them on them at the same time because they are in different sizes (hes in 0-3 now and shes still in Newborn). Ofcourse if you plan to bottle feed get LOTS of bottles and formula. I supplemented and couldn't believe how many bottles they went through and how quickly the formula was gone. Oh and I know some ppl think its a waste because you have to change them so often, but I LOVE my diaper genie for the fact it masks the smell of the poop and that its easier to dispose of.
Hope this helps. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know
The diaper genies do mask the smell... for now.. once they eat solids it does not work as well.
And Krista is right.. hard to know what each kid will like... I would get one swing, one bouncer, etc, and if they like them, pick up another later. If someone offers you one used... take it. I have the oldest baby swing, got to be mid-90s if not earlier, no music, just swings back to front on 2 speeds, but it works, I think it bored them to sleep, instead of potentially voer stimulating them. I used one bouncer for quite a while, for both babies, until they got bigger. Double stroller is of course nice, but I think the snap n go will work for a while until you know more what you want.
Register for dipes and wipes and formula if needed. Maybe a baby bath seat or two? Good luck!
Rachel, momma to 4
dd 9, ds 7, twin boys Dec 09
I nursed my twins for 2years and 2 weeks! A little sad to be all done now.
Double Snap and Go stroller!!!!
burp clothes (cloth diapers)
White noise machine
cool mist humidifer
LOTS AND LOTS of diapers and wipes! We were going thru about 25 diapers per day for the 1st 6 wks. Now its about 16 per day.
Breastpads and supplies
Sleepers and gowns will be all they live in and onesies for the 1st few months..get plenty!
- aquaphor! Our NICU used it every time and we continued, 15 weeks no diaper rash.
- super expensive, but my kids will CRASH in a nap nanny. We only have one and I would KILL for three. Maybe put it on in case someone wants to get something expensive or a group gift? Also, I like that the kiddos are napping reclined instead of scrunched down from a swing or bouncy.
- Swings, try to register for one that plugs in. I didn't think of it, but randomly got one as a gift, no batteries = fab!
- Bottles, keep what you do get in the boxes to possibly return. We rec'd a bunch of what we registered for (Tommee Tippee) and don't use them...but can't return them b/c they were washed/put away by someone wanting to help us out. We don't use a sterilizer at all, just the dishwasher when we want to.
- I can't have enough blankets, Carters makes some bigger than normal receiving blankets that let us swaddle a little longer.
- waterproof pads - bassinet and crib size, also the changing table ones
- tons of bedding, cloth diapers, bibs, burp cloths we go through like crazy
- We have two bouncys, had one swing and just bought a second mini/portable swing I love.
- If you want to register for clothes, do so in larger sizes b/c everyone will buy small stuff anyway b/c it's so darn cute. We had a hard time getting through all the nb stuff, hardly used the preemie, but I'm keeping for dolls later.
- will you need any baby gates?
- high chairs/bumbos - we got all we reg for. High chairs, we reg for the space saving that attach to your own kitchen chairs since we don't have room for three (live in small base housing unit).
Do you have an experienced mom you can take with you since BRU is no help? I took my SIL w/me after to amend the registry since she knows more.