Look what I found on the side of the road. (? FOR GWEN)

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
tialee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/29/07
Posts: 2779
Look what I found on the side of the road. (? FOR GWEN)

Hey everyone, I really need to play catch up here. We had Tyson's party this weekend with 32 people over so I had no time to go online. Not to mention Anthony telling me last minute about a report for school about Albert Einstein that was due today! I still have some cleaning to do but I was having withdrawls so I came on.
So... Today I found this (see pic) on the side of the road for free. I picked it up and tomorrow I am going to restore it. I have a friend who restores things like this and he is coming over tomorrow. My ? is what do I do? Should I paint it or stain it? I took a pic of the porch ( OH dh agreed to let me have the porch for my scrapbook room!!!) Anyhow this is what it looks like any idea's???

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

LMCH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 02/05/07
Posts: 2031

I would say paint it...that would definitely be easier than stripping and staining...then again if you want it to match other wood stuff you have, you may want it stained to have that look. That is awesome that you have the porch for your scrap area. Looks like a good space...and lots of nice light Smile

tialee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/29/07
Posts: 2779

"LMCH" wrote:

I would say paint it...that would definitely be easier than stripping and staining...then again if you want it to match other wood stuff you have, you may want it stained to have that look. That is awesome that you have the porch for your scrap area. Looks like a good space...and lots of nice light Smile

If I do paint it any idea's for the color? I was thinking maybe red like the desk that was posted by Karen I think? However I want to buy a nice chair so the colors would have to kinda go together.

Honey3.14's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 04/07/12
Posts: 2094

That is awsome. I cannot beleive that sign was just tossed out.

I would paint it in different colors and paint the bottom row black.

tialee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/29/07
Posts: 2779

"Honey3.14" wrote:

That is awsome. I cannot beleive that sign was just tossed out.

I would paint it in different colors and paint the bottom row black.

Oh no, the create sign was mine I found the white cabinet Smile

Honey3.14's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 04/07/12
Posts: 2094

Oooohhhh. Okay. Thats a cool cabinet too. I was wondering how on earth you find a sign like that. I would definitely paint it. Red would be a good color.

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

I think paint it. You could do dark red (Kelly was the one) and then a black chair.

That is a great space and it has good lighting too!

sweetalienchick's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 10/25/05
Posts: 2106

definitly just paint it Smile maybe paint it a color that is inspiring to you? I know painting rooms a certain color makes the room feel either cool or warm to you and many other things. Like dark colors make a room look smaller and whites and light colors make the room look bigger. Smile i looked up alot of info on paint colors before we moved into our house lol I think red is a good color. Smile

coolmama72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 week ago
Joined: 10/20/01
Posts: 8185

I have the red desk and red side table thing that I got from freecycle, and I'm really loving the colors. so I vote red. Wink barn red.

MommyCB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 months ago
Joined: 05/04/06
Posts: 7623

I love everyone's suggestion to paint it red. That would look great with the black Create sign. WHAT A FIND! Lucky you!

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 12/22/06
Posts: 1152

That's cool! I could really use something like that!

tialee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/29/07
Posts: 2779

"coolmama72" wrote:

I have the red desk and red side table thing that I got from freecycle, and I'm really loving the colors. so I vote red. Wink barn red.

Yes Gwen it was you I am sorry. Can you show it again so dh will see what color I am talking about. Smile

tialee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/29/07
Posts: 2779

Okay I am going to paint for sure vs stain it. It will either be a celery green or red.

slurpeegirl13's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 02/26/07
Posts: 4125

I'd say paint, too - if you use an oil paint it will last longer too (not get chipped as quickly).

sweetalienchick's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 10/25/05
Posts: 2106

Ohhh celery green Biggrin i'm all for green vs red... but that is my fave color...Green...

sewgirly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/01/06
Posts: 1496

I think barn red would be nice too. BUT, test it. I had an old chest from DH's grandparents and it was white. I tried to paint it red, and I couldn't. I tried and tried, and the paint store tried to help too. I wanted it red b/c the nursery is red. It just wouldn't coat over the old white paint without looking transparent (KWIM?)

I was actually going to suggest green before it was mentioned. It's an earthy tone that goes well with everything. Plus I dig green! Wink

tialee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/29/07
Posts: 2779

"slurpeegirl13" wrote:

I'd say paint, too - if you use an oil paint it will last longer too (not get chipped as quickly).

Thanks for the tip! I will do that for sure. Tomorrow we are going to sand it all down and use primer and I will probably wait a few days to decide on the paint. I cant wait to show you all. I am also thinking of changing the handles to older looking ones.

MommyCB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 months ago
Joined: 05/04/06
Posts: 7623

"mtsugrad" wrote:

I think barn red would be nice too. BUT, test it. I had an old chest from DH's grandparents and it was white. I tried to paint it red, and I couldn't. I tried and tried, and the paint store tried to help too. I wanted it red b/c the nursery is red. It just wouldn't coat over the old white paint without looking transparent (KWIM?)

I was actually going to suggest green before it was mentioned. It's an earthy tone that goes well with everything. Plus I dig green! Wink

Did they not suggest red primer?!? When painting anything red, usually you will always need red primer first. or you can put 10 coats on and not get the darn thing red.

Honey3.14's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 04/07/12
Posts: 2094

"tialee" wrote:

Thanks for the tip! I will do that for sure. Tomorrow we are going to sand it all down and use primer and I will probably wait a few days to decide on the paint. I cant wait to show you all. I am also thinking of changing the handles to older looking ones.

I was going to suggest changing the handles to something in black as to go with the create sign or white to go with your porch.

Or something like this. This is totally what I would choose.
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=970002&navAction=jump&search=true&parentid=SEARCH_RESULTS

Honey3.14's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 04/07/12
Posts: 2094

"MommyCB" wrote:

Did they not suggest red primer?!? When painting anything red, usually you will always need red primer first. or you can put 10 coats on and not get the darn thing red.

Now thats a good tip!

tialee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/29/07
Posts: 2779

"Honey3.14" wrote:

I was going to suggest changing the handles to something in black as to go with the create sign or white to go with your porch.

Or something like this. This is totally what I would choose.
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=970002&navAction=jump&search=true&parentid=SEARCH_RESULTS

That is very neat! now I have to change the knobs for sure! Thanks for finding it.

coolmama72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 week ago
Joined: 10/20/01
Posts: 8185

here are the pictures Wink

wiltedrose314's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 07/24/07
Posts: 1500

whoa what an awesome scrapping area!!!
and id paint it red as well!

sewgirly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/01/06
Posts: 1496

"MommyCB" wrote:

Did they not suggest red primer?!? When painting anything red, usually you will always need red primer first. or you can put 10 coats on and not get the darn thing red.

Yeah they did, and I tried it. I just couldn't get it the deep red that I wanted.

sadieruth's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/09/05
Posts: 6242

Paint it! It would be so much easier, and yes! I say go with red! That'll add color and yeah for getting a room! Can't wait to see pics!

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

COOL cabinet! Very good find! Paint it for sure. I would go for white, but thats more my style.

Honey3.14's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 04/07/12
Posts: 2094

"spottedjagiwar" wrote:

COOL cabinet! Very good find! Paint it for sure. I would go for white, but thats more my style.

I would say white was a good color except that her porch is already white and it just makes it too "clorox commercial" for my liking. So go RED!

scrapangel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 10 months ago
Joined: 10/05/07
Posts: 807

I know you already decided to paint it red and I think it will look great. I just wanted to say that if you wanted to so something on the top that is a little different you could do a daecopodge (sorry spelling is WAY off) with papers that have red, white and black in it. It will make your work space look really cool. You can use modge podge or polyurothan (once again spelling is off).

Just wanted to give you a different idea. Can not wait to see the completed project.

AshnBill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 11/06/06
Posts: 5333

I was thinking red or olive green. What a cool find!

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

Paint it! ITA that you have to ahve them tint your primer red. We painted our shed barn red (while growing up) and we had the primer tinted. It turned out to be pepto bismal pink:eek: You should have seen the looks on peoples faces when they drove past that day:D Once we painted over the primer it looked fine, but it was fun to have a pink shed for a few days.

Honey3.14's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 04/07/12
Posts: 2094

"pickle in middle" wrote:

Paint it! ITA that you have to ahve them tint your primer red. We painted our shed barn red (while growing up) and we had the primer tinted. It turned out to be pepto bismal pink:eek: You should have seen the looks on peoples faces when they drove past that day:D Once we painted over the primer it looked fine, but it was fun to have a pink shed for a few days.

ROFLMAO. I can just see a pepto pink barn.

mommys's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 05/08/06
Posts: 6264

Lol Laughing about the pink barn!

I think red with look great. Can't wait to see pictures when it is done.