Did you figure this out? If you haven't I will post directions of what I would do!
Okay, first, background information that you probably already know:
When Picasa was set up on your computer it was designated to automatically update any new picture files that it recognized from a specific location (either your hard drive, external hard drive, memory device, or all of the above).
If no automatic updates were selected, you also have the option manually import pictures by clicking on the IMPORT button in the top left hand corner and then selecting the file location.
The bottom line is, Picasa is pulling the pictures from your hardware. If you erase/move/delete the pictures from this designated source, they will also be moved in Picasa.
Now to your question, how to move folders to a new collection:
****Just a note -- exporting them to another folder doesn't erase them from the folder they are already in ... it just copies them to another folder. If you only want them in one folder in Picasa, you will have to delete them from their original location.****
- If you are talking about un-edited pictures you can just move them all to one folder on your desktop (or external hard drive, or wherever) and Picasa should automatically reorganize your folder to reflect that reorganization.
- For example. I may have taken 20 pictures each of Ella's first seven days. Each night I emptied my SD card to the computer and put them in a different folder: Ella Day 1, Ella Day 2, Ella Day 3, etc...
- Now I want them all in one folder called Ella Week 1 - I would just create an Ella Week 1 folder on my desktop and move all of the pictures from my Day folders into the Ella Week 1 folder.
- If you are talking about a collection of photos that you have already edited in Picasa and want to move them all together, I only know one way to do that. You can't just move them from their original location, because the edits you made in the Picasa program aren't reflected at the original source of the photo.
- First, you will need to "hold" the pictures you want to move. In Picasa, that little green thumbtack in the bottom panel is the hold button.
- If you want to move every picture in the folder, click on the folder on the left hand menu and then click the green thumbtack. It will hold all of those pictures.
- If you want to hold pictures from different folders, you will need to select them individually.
- After you are "holding" all of the pictures you want to move, you will need to click on the "Export" folder, also in the bottom, middle panel of Picasa. This will copy the pictures (as you have edited them already) you have selected into another folder. You can name the folder whatever you wish, and for me, it is easiest to save it on my desktop so I can find it easily.
- If you decide you want to add more pictures to this collection, you can add them to this same folder.
I hope that all made sense and I hope what I typed was right. Somebody else may have an easier way to do this.
Last edited by StateChick; 01-11-2010 at 05:08 PM.