So here's an online form to get a basic birth plan. It's not as detailed as some would like, but it works for me.
And this one is more detailed and natural childbirth based:
Just thought I'd pass it on.
I'm sure there are others out there, too.
Last edited by Nell4Him; 07-20-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Thanks! I'm looking for one that I can use for the birth center. Anyone know of a template or have on I could look at?
Maybe we could post our birth plans (if/when we have them) to use as reference? I know that would be helpful to me.
from October 2011
If anyone wants to PM me, I can email the one that I wrote last time. It is blank & ready to fill in or correct in Microsoft Word. My birthing class instructor at the hospital uses it as a handout in her classes. It covers natural birth to worse case scenario of c-sect. Just let me know.
At this point most of my wishes are for the care of me and baby after the delivery. I'm open to anything during labor. I have no intentions of getting an epidural but I haven't had one since my first so I doubt I have to worry about the pain relief aspect of things. I am open to pitocin and artificial rupture of membranes.
This time I'm probably just going to jot down that I want to catch the baby, I'd like to have the option of giving birth in the birthing tub if I feel like it at the time. I want to breastfeed and bond right away so they can do the initial assessment with baby on my chest and wait on weighing/measuring until later. No eye goop or hep b vaccine, yes to the circ and vitamin k. In the case of any emergency I want dh to go with the baby. I figure if something goes wrong and I need a csection than it will be enough of an emergency that I just want baby out safe. I've had a NICU baby already so I know that you just can't forsee what's going to happen and how you'll feel then. I do trust our hospital though, it's a 'baby friendly' hospital, so they really encourage breastfeeding and bonding. They don't even give those formula company sample bags (wish they did though to be honest!).
DD1- July 2004
DD2- April 2006
DS1- December 2009
DS2- August 2011
No birth plan for me. I had the ideal birth last time and thus totally trust my hospital staff. DH also knows what I want.
I wrote one last time and ended up not showing anyone but DH
I'm just going to revamp my birth plan from last time to be specific to this hospital. I still have it saved on my computer somewhere. I do think I will add the suggestions of the things like no Hep B... we delayed that with DD last time until our first checkup and I'd like to do that again. I hate the thought of a shot right off the bat with all the baby has already been through in L&D.
This will be my first written (or rather typed) out birth plan. I'm focusing more on transition, pushing, and after baby is born. Up until that point I'm able to communicate my needs pretty well.
Our hospital is also very friendly and I've NEVER had a problem with before, but I also have educated myself a little more this time and there are some things from last time that I want to change.. like the pushing position, I'd like to try using the tub to help with dealing with pain, etc. This time I'd like to try to FULLY enter a focus on labor sort of phase and I'd like the staff to talk to my coach or my husband and for them to gently relay anything to me. I'm planning to actually make it through with NO pain meds this time, including the iv meds and I realize that this will take me really turning inward.
I'm likely going to upload a whole lot more of relaxing music onto my ipod and use it the whole time and loudly to sort of tune OUT everything else. Last time I only used my relaxing music when I wanted to try to sleep after I had received the iv pain meds.
Anyway, it's not that I don't trust anyone to follow my wishes it's just that I want them to be aware of my wishes so that I can try to "enjoy" my birthing experience better. KWIM?
This is gonna be long, but here's mine (it's a work in progress)
This plan is intended to express the preferences and desires we have for the birth of our daughter. This plan covers our desires for VBAC and covers contingencies in case of failed TOLAC. Please support us in our VBAC goal, we have read the studies and recommendations and fully understand the risks of VBAC vs elective repeat cesarean section.
- While we are not anti-intervention, we experienced many intervention related complications with my son’s birth. We hope for this VBAC to be as natural a birth as possible and wish to avoid any and all unnecessary intervention. To this end, I DO NOT CONSENT to any non-emergent intervention that is not discussed with myself and my husband before it occurs.
- I do not consent to AROM as a routine procedure or in early labor
- Please discuss pitocin use with me/DH/doula and obtain explicit consent if augmentation is felt to be necessary.
- I do not consent to routine episiotomy
- I would prefer to avoid any and all internal monitoring if possible (scalp and IUPC).
- Please discuss vacuum/foreceps use with me if assisted delivery is recommended and obtain my consent before proceeding with it.
I request the right to move freely and the use of a birthing ball, tub, etc
- I request intermittent monitoring. If continuous is medically necessary, I request telemetric monitoring, if available.
- I consent to heplock/saline lock.
- I will maintain hydration via PO intake of clear liquids
- Please limit cervical checks to an absolute minimum
- I request the right to push in any position I find comfortable, including in the tub if it is deemed medically safe at the time
- I would prefer to bear down spontaneously as I feel the urge –please do not direct pushing unless direction is requested or felt to be medically necessary.
- I request the right to deliver in my position of choice barring complications.
- I would rather tear than have an episiotomy, but please use compresses, lubrication, gentle massage and positioning to help minimize trauma to the perineum.
- Please delay cord clamping for at least 30 seconds (preferably 3 minutes) if possible.
- I would prefer to deliver the placenta without the use of traction or fundal massage
- I do not consent to routine pitocin infusion; please discuss with me if it is felt to be necessary to control postpartum bleeding
- If repair is needed, please use local anaesthesia
- I am aware of my medciation options, including IV pain medication, epidural/spinal, etc. I am not averse to these interventions if my provider believes that they will help achieve the goal of safe vaginal delivery. However, if labor is progressing well without them, please do not offer them to me. Any suggestions for natural pain relief methods are always welcome.
- If an emergent situation arises that requires a crash c-section, I request the shortest acting anesthesia available. Otherwise, I request spinal/epidural anesthesia
- I DO NOT consent to Duramorph under any circumstances.
- If general anaesthesia is required, such as in a crash situation, I request the shortest-acting general anaesthetic available. Otherwise, I request spinal/epidural anesthesia.
- Please do not place urinary catheter until anaesthesia has taken effect
- I would prefer to have Johnathan present for epidural/spinal placement and the surgery, if possible and he agrees at the time.
- If I am awake, please DO NOT tie my arms down. I am aware of the importance of the sterile field and will do my part to maintain it.
- If I am awake, please explain the surgery to us as it is happening
- I would like to view the birth (mirror or dropping drape) if possible
- Please delay cord cutting for at least 30 seconds if Cassandra is stable.
- Please use sutures and not staples for wound closure as I react badly to metal in my skin.
- We request for Cassandra to remain with me in the OR (skin to skin if possible) as the procedure is completed. If this is not possible, DH will stay with Cassandra at all times, and I request that she be brought to me as soon as possible in recovery.
- If Cassandra cannot stay with me for any reason, no one but DH may hold Cassandra before we have had bonding time and have established breastfeeding .
- Please do not allow routine newborn procedures to delay my bonding time with Cassandra
- I am a pediatrician and expect to have any non-emergent intervention discussed with me prior to it being implemented. However, I consent to any medical intervention that the neonatologist/NNP believes is immediately required IF Cassandra is clinically unstable
- If there is suspicion of chorioamnionitis during labor, I would like to speak to the neonatologist/NNP on call ASAP to discuss options that will not undermine breastfeeding, such as rooming in instead of enforced 48 hour separation.
- If NICU attendance at the birth is required for any reason or if a cesarean section becomes necessary, I would like to speak with the NNP/pediatrician/neonatologist prior to the birth if possible.
In the event of vaginal delivery:
- Please delay cord cutting for at least 30 seconds, and preferably 3+ minutes, if possible
- Please give Cassandra to me immediately for skin-to-skin, if possible
o Please give us a blanket or 2 beforehand so we can help dry/stimulate
- We would prefer for Johnathan to cut the cord if he desires to do so
- We would prefer to help Cassandra maintain body temperature through skin-to-skin contact instead of a radiant warmer
- Please delay routine newborn care (eyes and thighs) until initial bonding/breastfeeding has occurred unless a significant problem requiring ongoing intervention occurs
In all scenarios:
- I would like to breast feed as soon as possible and meet with a lactation consultant
- We would prefer 24 hour rooming in, even if Cassandra requires intervention such as phototherapy, IV antibiotics, for clinical sepsis rule out, or IV fluids.
- Breastfeeding only, NO bottles, or other artificial nipples (soothie pacifiers are OK)
o May cup feed/dropper feed formula or give dextrose infusion via IV if needed for low glucose after birth