cloth diaper detergents?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
katielee83's picture
Joined: 11/13/08
Posts: 493
cloth diaper detergents?

I posted this over on the cloth diaper thread, but I know there are a few experienced cd mams here too.

What do you use for detergents? Last time around, I used the Bum Genius detergent with my BG AIOs, but am looking for something different this time. I am thinking of using the Thirsties pre wash and the Thirsties Super wash. Anyone have experience with those? What do you use/recommend?

Thanks!!

mandi04's picture
Joined: 08/10/03
Posts: 2272

I've used Rockin Green for the past year and a half with no issues and will continue using it Smile I have another bag on the way right now actually (this is the 3rd bag I've bought in the last year and a half, so two bags in that time, not bad!)

Joined: 07/12/06
Posts: 831

I actually have always used All Free and Clear... when I can find it, the military kind without the optic brighteners. Never had a problem with it, although I don't think it's technically on the "safe" list.

bethmcd_22's picture
Joined: 05/10/08
Posts: 235

"mandi04" wrote:

I've used Rockin Green for the past year and a half with no issues and will continue using it Smile I have another bag on the way right now actually (this is the 3rd bag I've bought in the last year and a half, so two bags in that time, not bad!)

Me too! I am surprised how long one bag lasts.

Chimmy's picture
Joined: 08/03/01
Posts: 2776

I'm a big Rockin' Green fan - I've used lots of detergents over the years (my oldest is 12) and all of them, even the safe ones end up causing build up at some point. So far I've not had that problem with RNG - but give me another 18 months I might yet! lol Still I am very happy with it, it cleans my diapers really really well. They also have a new formula out - I buy from a local retailer so am going to try that next, see how I like it.

Joined: 12/21/09
Posts: 344

I've been using cloth for almost a year, and I use Trader Joe's detergent, with no problems.

Times I was away from home, I used Eco brand detergent with no issues as well.

MandyMommyto1's picture
Joined: 06/27/09
Posts: 534

I''ve gone through a few different brands, but I've settled on Nature Clean as my favourite, and it lasts a long time! I also use a little vinegar in my rinse cycle.

ekcanada's picture
Joined: 05/06/09
Posts: 1707

We also use Rockin green (we have the hardest water hear and it seems to work the best). They also have a stink blaster (or something - I can't think of the name) which we use when we the diapers start to smell!

Chimmy's picture
Joined: 08/03/01
Posts: 2776

"ekcanada" wrote:

We also use Rockin green (we have the hardest water hear and it seems to work the best). They also have a stink blaster (or something - I can't think of the name) which we use when we the diapers start to smell!

Is it the funk rock for ammonia? If so that stuff works awesome - I have a toddler who wears dipes at night still & it works good b/c wow can that ammonia take over! lol

mom22sofar's picture
Joined: 02/20/09
Posts: 306

I use plain old Tide. I have read lots on different detergents and Tide actually gets really good reviews and it is cheap, works well and no stinkies!

Roobear's picture
Joined: 03/26/08
Posts: 343

I've used Nellie's in the past, and now use Nature Clean. I tried Rockin Green and H developed a wicked rash. Now I only use it I need to do a big soak, and then I make sure to wash with my regular stuff and rinse like crazy afterwards.

Chimmy's picture
Joined: 08/03/01
Posts: 2776

"Roobear" wrote:

I've used Nellie's in the past, and now use Nature Clean. I tried Rockin Green and H developed a wicked rash. Now I only use it I need to do a big soak, and then I make sure to wash with my regular stuff and rinse like crazy afterwards.

I have heard a lot of babies getting a rash from their old detergent formula. They recently came out with a new formula. There is a lady here in my town who owns a cloth diaper shop (I buy my RNG from her) & her daughter had horribe reactions to it as well, she's now trying their new stuff to see if it works.

katielee83's picture
Joined: 11/13/08
Posts: 493

You guys are awesome. I hadn't heard of Rockin Green, but after hearing from you guys and reading reviews on Amazon, I may just try it!

I'm a little scared to go to full time cloth, but we are making the investment, so there's no turning back!!

Chimmy's picture
Joined: 08/03/01
Posts: 2776

It's not so bad - especially once you find a system that works for you Smile I really do like RNG it cleans our dipes really well. What kind of dipes do you have? Over the years I've used sooo many different kinds/name brands/. Right now the bulk of our dipes are Tiny Tush OS & a few fitteds/IPF's with covers.

katielee83's picture
Joined: 11/13/08
Posts: 493

When I did part time/slacker cd'ing with DS, we used the bun genius AIOs. I love them! That is what we will be getting the most of to start with, but if they don't seem to be working as well for this one, I have a couple of Fuzzibuns and and thirsties to use in the rotation as well. Smile

Joined: 12/21/09
Posts: 344

I

Joined: 01/08/09
Posts: 1023

:lurk: from Oct 2011

I use Rockin Green too. My cousin uses Tide. I used a regular detergent and it worked fine until DD added solids to BFing. Then it just didn't do the job. I got the stinkies and switched to Rockin Green and I'm still using it.

"Chimmy" wrote:

Is it the funk rock for ammonia? If so that stuff works awesome - I have a toddler who wears dipes at night still & it works good b/c wow can that ammonia take over! lol

I even use the funk rock on my DD's bed sheets & pjs after "accidents". It really does work! Especially since I usually only use a tsp in a warm soak in my front loader.

Joined: 12/21/09
Posts: 344

You can use about a cup of white vinegar in the load for stinkies. I've never used anything else but and never had a problem. Smile

Chimmy's picture
Joined: 08/03/01
Posts: 2776

"epiclesis" wrote:

You can use about a cup of white vinegar in the load for stinkies. I've never used anything else but and never had a problem. Smile

Really? I've gone the white vinegar route & it didn't always give me good results. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. Roughly how big are your loads & how much do you use?

MandyMommyto1's picture
Joined: 06/27/09
Posts: 534

Really? I've gone the white vinegar route & it didn't always give me good results. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. Roughly how big are your loads & how much do you use?

I use white vinegar in my rinse too - about a tbsp for a full load. Keeps the ammonia smell away Smile

Chimmy's picture
Joined: 08/03/01
Posts: 2776

"MandyMommyto1" wrote:

I use white vinegar in my rinse too - about a tbsp for a full load. Keeps the ammonia smell away Smile

I'll have to try it again - it's been a few years since I've used it. At the time I remember not being impressed, but It's worth giving it a go again! I'm all for simple & cheap esp. when it works lol

Joined: 12/21/09
Posts: 344

"Chimmy" wrote:

Really? I've gone the white vinegar route & it didn't always give me good results. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. Roughly how big are your loads & how much do you use?

I over-do it. Probably a cup or so per load..... which is likely a week's worth of pockets. Blum 3 And if they are really stinky, I add a little more into one of the compartments to come out later.

Chimmy's picture
Joined: 08/03/01
Posts: 2776

"epiclesis" wrote:

I over-do it. Probably a cup or so per load..... which is likely a week's worth of pockets. Blum 3 And if they are really stinky, I add a little more into one of the compartments to come out later.

Ohh smart Mama! I could do that with the fab softner compartment. I think I'll give it another go before I buy more funk rock - just to see what it does. Can't hurt!

Roobear's picture
Joined: 03/26/08
Posts: 343

I'll have to revisit the rockin green if they have a new formula. I'm definitely intrigued by the funk rock, I can't stand the smell of old pee on sheets or jammies if she's leaked at night.

bethmcd_22's picture
Joined: 05/10/08
Posts: 235

Last summer Rockin' Green recalled a batch of detergent because it wasn't mixed in the correct proportions and was causing ammonia burns on a lot of babies. Mine was one. He was miserable. They did send out replacements though. I felt that they were very proactive about their recall. I got an email from them because I ordered through their site.