I'm going crazy here!
In my last prenatal appointment with the mw, which was the 26th of April, she told me that the first bloodwork and the scan looked good as far as she could tell but they could not definitively say until after my bloodwork results came in which they took that day (the 26th).
I just got a call from the hospital that my mw says based on my latest bloodwork the NT scan came back positive and they want me to come in for genetic counseling on Monday (same day as my anatomy scan)
What exactly does this mean? I am adamant about not getting the amnio so we will never know for sure until after baby is born. I hear that these things are wrong a lot... Are there any other tests they can do other than the amnio? I guess I'll just wait till Monday to know for sure. I hope my nereves don't get the best of me.
I would ask for the actual numbers to start. If you are dead set against the amnio, they may allow you to have a more in-depth u/s to check on baby. The positive result doesn't tell you for certain that anything is wrong with the baby, it just tells you that you are more at risk for something being wrong with the baby. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing.
Last edited by nori_garsi; 05-04-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Lenora & Chris 01.16.10
DS Brandon 05.13.07
DS CJ 10.06.11
*Co-moderator of January-June '07 and September '11*
I just wanted to add they will probably also be able to check on the baby during your anatomy scan.
It probably is nothing, the numbers that come back are usually more than 1 in 100 that would have the disorder so the numbers should still be in your favor.
Thanks for replying, ladies. I'm not going to let it get to me. I know I have a baby in there moving and kicking away and I can't wait to see it on Monday. Not to mention the strong heartbeat I find almost on a daily basis. I'm going to take it one day at a time. I even have family members who have had false positives.
My mind has always been pretty set against an amnio unless we were fairly sure of a diagnoses so I always said if I got a elevated result on any of the screenings I'd request an in depth ultraound and if that showed markers for any abnormality we'd discuss what the pros/cons were to getting a diagnosis before/after the birth. That's just my view on what I'd do, you can definitely ask for more testing that isn't as invasive as an amnio, though you can't get a definite diagnosis without one.
I'd definitely ask more questions when you see them, like what are your numbers vs what they want to see and for what were your results elevated. A trisomy or something else?
Most of the time it's nohing, and I believe I've heard if you are off on your due date by as little as 4 days that you can get inaccurate results. It's just showing an elevated 'chance', the chances that your baby is perfectly healthy are still much greater than your chances of anything else.
DD1- July 2004
DD2- April 2006
DS1- December 2009
DS2- August 2011
My POV is that I would not terminate regardles so it makes no difference. Why subject my baby to that kind of stress and the miscarriage chance if I would not terminate regardles. The only way I see termination is if the baby could not sustain life once born, I don't think this qualifies. I'm going to definitely have my questions lined up for them on Monday.