Spent Thurs night in L&D

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
ceres's picture
Joined: 03/29/05
Posts: 115
Spent Thurs night in L&D

Sooooo I thought I was going to get through this pregnancy without going to L&D before I delivered. Apparently my body had other plans! Thursday morning when I got up I thought I might be getting a UTI. I made a point to drink a ton of water and I was taking cranberry caps just in case thinking I'd wait it out a day to see what happened.

Thursday was a really stressful day because DH was flying home but his flight kept getting canceled. I finally left to pick him up around 7pm. We got to the airport and his flight was not registered as an arrival. I walked around DIA for over an hour trying to figure out where he was! Finally the ticketing agent figured out he was on a specially routed flight that was not even on any of their itinerary's and was about 22 min from the gate. We went and sat by baggage claim and that's when I started to really notice I was having contrax every 5 min or so.

Got DH and headed to the car, the drive back home was AWFUL and I couldn't sit still, I was in a lot of pain and the contrax were right on top of each other. DH and I decided that I would drop him and the boys off at home and I would got to the ER.

I got to the ER and they brought me up to l&d triage. I got hooked up to the monitors and they were picking up contrax every 3 min at this point. Ashton was doing great though, his heartbeat was perfect and he was moving around like crazy. They said I deff had a UTI and then they did a swap for BV which was also positive. Thankfully my cervix is still long, thick and completely closed! They placed an IV and started pumping me with fluids and antibiotics as well as having me take a keflex pill.

As soon as the first bag of antibiotics was done I started noticing an ache in my left side and back and it just got worse and worse until I was basically crying and totally losing my cool in the triage room. I was still having contrax but the pain was constant and not related to contrax in any way. Then I started getting violently sick and threw up everything I eaten for dinner because of the pain and I guess nausea from the keflex pill.

My midwife came in and started rubbing my back and putting cold washcloths on my neck because I was feeling like I was going to pass out from the pain. She was soooo awesome though all of this and really helped me to slow my breathing and calm down a ton! They admitted me for observation and an ultrasound to rule out the possibility of kidney stones so I had to be moved to a "real" L&D room. Once we were in the room they gave me a shot of Turbutaline to stop my contrax and put phenegren and fentanyl in my IV for the pain and nausea so I could have my U/S. About halfway through the u/s they had to give me more fentanyl because the pain had come back so badly that I could not sit stil. The second dose pretty much knocked me out completely and I don't remember the rest of the u/s. It was about 3am at that point and I stayed passed out from the pain meds until about 7am when my midwives changed shifts and the new one came in to update me on what happened overnight.

They had to give me another shot of Tubutaline while I was asleep because my contrax were not stopping. I didn't have kidney stones but I do have a pretty bad kidney infection. I got to have breakfast and then I finally got discharged around 10am with scripts for more antibiotics and tylenol 3's for the kidney pain. I'm also really anemic so I have to take iron again Sad

Thank goodness DH is home because I don't know what I would have done with my boys while I went to the hospital! I'm feeling much better now with all the meds and hopefully the next time I'm in L&D it will be to have a baby!

BloomingRose's picture
Joined: 12/03/08
Posts: 992

Wow what a night you had!! Hope you feel better and try and get as much rest as you can.

Joined: 07/12/06
Posts: 831

Oh no! What a crazy night. Feel better soon.

MandyMommyto1's picture
Joined: 06/27/09
Posts: 534

Yikes! I guess that's a reminder to you, and all of us, that at this stage we really have to be careful to look after ourselves!
Hope you feel better soon!

cherylfhorn's picture
Joined: 08/24/08
Posts: 600

Ohy goodness I hope you feel bettet soon both uti & kidney infections are horrible. Glad everything was good with the LO tho

heatherliz2002's picture
Joined: 02/02/08
Posts: 2273

Wow, you had quite the eventful night! I'm so sorry about the kidney infection- I'm glad you were able to go in and get treated when you did. Hope you feel better soon!

skylersmomma's picture
Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 927

Hope you feel better soon!!

ceres's picture
Joined: 03/29/05
Posts: 115

Thanks ladies!! I feel so much better now!! I had started to attribute a lot of how I was feeling to just being hugely pregnant and now I'm realizing it was a lot of the infections side effects. I had been really nauseous and dizzy lately plus feeling really overly tired. Today I've been able to actually eat full meals and have enough energy to do some of the chores I've been slacking on!

heatherliz2002's picture
Joined: 02/02/08
Posts: 2273

So glad that you're doing better!

Nell4Him's picture
Joined: 10/25/06
Posts: 2455

I'm so glad you are feeling better! Smile

Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

Glad you are feeling better Smile

ekcanada's picture
Joined: 05/06/09
Posts: 1707

What a scary night! Have the antibiotics kicked in?

nori_garsi's picture
Joined: 10/31/06
Posts: 2069

Oh my what a crazy night. I also am being treated for BV and a UTI. It totallly sucks. I hope you're feeling better.