First off sorry all my posts latley have been a rant or a vent I promise this will be my last and ill make it short.
As most of u know I have had trouble bfding and with me being sick it has only made thimgs worse. There is one med that recomends waiting 10 to 12 hrs b4 bf'ding which has caused some milk supply issues (I've been pumping and dumping but still drying up ) but I have been breast feeding in the hrs allotted and topping up with formula, well at my specialist appt I went to breastfeed and the dr seemed shocked I was still bf'ding and warned me there was no infor or studies on how safe the med is while bf'ding. So being concerned I called my ob who has the case dealing with my eclampsia and asked his opinon he said " if it was my wife on the med we wouldn't be breastfeeding as it is a narcotic and there are no studies to confirm the safety in using while bf'ding" so then I started to freak out a bit and told curtis. (Big mistake) he was supportive but then said maybe this is a sign to stop breastfeeding. Not ready to give up yet I caalled the office of the ob who discharged me and got a msg back saying these meds r safe and with the other med aslong as I wait the recomended time it will be fine. I talked to my mw and she looked it up and the 2 meds scored moderate ( which means no studies for use while bf'ding) all the other meds came up safe or with minimal risk.
So my long winded question is should I give up on breastfeeding or take a chance? I am torn and very emotional I feel like I have failed kesler. But I don't want a chance to put him at needed risk. My heart is breaking this is not how it was supposed to go and I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance for any ideas
If it were me and there were any risk I wouldn't bf. If majority of dr vote is no them I would say no. maybe you could call another practice and see if they could look it up. Ask the pharmacist.
I remember there was a website I used for effects in bm from meds with dd1. I'll have to see if I could find it again.
how long are you on the meds? You could pump and dump until off the meds them pick back up with it if baby let's you. Maybe take some fenugreek to help with your supply until then.
Jocelyn Renee 2-28-08 ___________________________ Addisyn Jade 9-8-11
I'm probreastfeeding but honestly, I probably wouldn't. I took a med that everyone told me was safe while pumping for DD1 (I was exclusively pumping for unrelated reasons, never dumped because I thought it was safe) and I looked the same med up while breastfeeding DS1 and it's now not reccomended and now I wonder if some little issues are from that...I'll never know. If I were in the same position you were I'd probably ask if there was anything else I could take that was safer for breastfeeding and if not I would probably switch to formula.
DD1- July 2004
DD2- April 2006
DS1- December 2009
DS2- August 2011
I would do everything possible to keep up with the BF so I would definately get another opinion or see what other medications you could be on. What are the names of the medications you are on? How long do you have to stay on them?
Breastfed babies receive so many more benefits to their health than formula fed babies... less ear infections, less colds, healthy gut floras and overall good health. I hope you can find a way to make this work, sounds like you are doing an excellent job so far!
Yes the pain killer is the only one giving me relief to my head ache and the pain with my kidneys, the other med was for my blood pressure which drs say once the bottom bp # comes down I can go off it and that my headache will go away sum but right now that bottom # is in the 100's so I go 2x wkly to get my blood pressure. The mw said when I go off the meds she can put me on stuff to increase my milk supply but doesn't want to do it till I can bfd more. I w
I have seen a few of your other posts and I wanted to say you are one strong women with all the issues you've had since the birth. I would suggest checking out the Dr Hale website. They have accurate and up-to-date info on the compatibility of meds with breastfeeding http://www.infantrisk.com/ Many are compatible, and the average doctor is not always up to date on everything (they're only human)
It's such a tough decision what to do, and it's so hard to put myself in your shoes. But keep in mind there are risks to not breastfeeding for both you and the baby. It's such a tough spot to be in. I hope you can find some good advice from Dr Hale.
My best advice as someone in the lactation field is find an IBCLC in your area to talk to about it. There are many sides to the situation you are having and they all need to be addressed by someone who can understand the effects of all the medications you are on. One of the biggest things they teach us in lacation classes are risk to benefit ratio. you need to decide if the benefits outweigh the possible risks. Or like pp said, you can pump/dump (or save until baby is older so there isn't a worry about him being so small/or to mix in with fresh milk later to cut down possible dosages) until you are off the meds. I also think, and this is just my opinion, that getting it all figured out will help lower your blood pressure because you will be reducing the amount of stress you are under. If you want to chat about it or talk options just send me a pm
IBCLC Intern, Almost there!!!!
Wyatt Rett 2-27-09
Reagan Jean 9-15-11
Moderator of Everything Breastfeeding!
Co-Moderator of September 09
Here is the website that my pediatrician references (she is also a nationally renowned lactation consultant) for medication effects in breastfeeding. Just type the name of the medication in the search box and it will tell you the indications for nursing moms. I hope this helps.
Whendi and Matt 2005
DD1 March 2007
DD2 July 2008
DD3 September 2011