To induce or not induce this is the question
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By daniellec.parker
  • 4 Post By Carolyn B
  • 1 Post By Carolyn B
  • 1 Post By grovey2
  • 2 Post By CamelNoodle
  • 1 Post By CristinaS82
  • 1 Post By baby4s&a

Thread: To induce or not induce this is the question

  1. #1
    Contributor CristinaS82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    100

    Default To induce or not induce this is the question

    So I had my appt on Tuesday. He told me I'm still 2 cm dilated, 50 % effaced, my cervix is soft but that baby is at station -2 in other words he hasn't dropped enough. He said he wanted to induce cause of the GD and the fact that my baby is gaining a pound a week. Right now he is weighing 8 lbs 2 oz. But he doesn't like that the baby is high up and doesn't want to have to end up giving me a c- sec if he won't drop. I have read that mothers who have other children sometimes won't drop until actual labor or water breaking.
    I'm going back in today cause he wants to see if I have progressed any on the baby dropping and possibly inducing me today or tomorrow. He seemed concerned Tuesday and told me if he hasn't it would be up to me cause if I wait baby out he might get to large and then me end up with a c-sec anyway. I'm not sure what to do with my first I had GD but the baby broke my water on his own at 38 weeks the day before inducing and with my DD I was induced cause she was late but went full term cause I didn't have GD. Both of my children were actually 7 lbs babies so the fact this one has already reached 8 lbs is starting to scare me. His lungs are completely developed and the machine at my Dr office and tech has been right on the money almost with both my other pregnancies and their weigh just a couple oz off.
    If I have made no progress today should I say well lets try inducing and risk it or should I tell him I want to try waiting the baby out and risk the baby weighing to much for me to deliver? Another thing that kind of concerned me is the baby looks swollen from other weeks his lips are hugh and his boy parts are swollen as well. I'm wondering how much fluid my little man is retaining...
    What would you guys do? I don't want to try to force him out but at the same time I don't want my baby to have difficulties breathing or loose him at birth.
    DH- 04/23/05
    DS- 02/11/08 7 lbs 5 oz
    DD- 10/12/10 7 lbs 2 oz



    pregnancy calendar

  2. #2
    Mega Poster daniellec.parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,282

    Default

    I have also had friends tell me that their babies didn't drop until the day of labor/ when their water broke as well. Inductions scare me, but then again, would rather have that instead of another c-sec.

    Maybe ask if you could wait until Monday before inducing? That way you are giving him a little more time, but not so much that other complications might arrive.
    CristinaS82 likes this.
    -Danielle





    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  3. #3
    Prolific Poster Carolyn B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Normally if it were me I'd say wait, but having GD makes things a little more complicated. Do you know how aggressive they want to be with an induction? And how willing are they to let you continue laboring before doing a c sec? I'd just be afraid that they would want to be super aggressive with induction, then not willing to give you time to labor/progress before a c sec. KWIM? C sec aren't the end of the world but it is major surgery. If your doc is on board with giving every opportunity to labor and progress then it might be worth it if you think GD is going to cause more problems.
    ~Carolyn
    DH~ Derek 6/5/09
    DD~ Olivia Dec. 2010
    DS~ Liam Sept. 2013


  4. #4
    Prolific Poster Carolyn B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Oh, and I've also heard that 2nd, etc babies don't always drop till labor. Good luck!
    CristinaS82 likes this.
    ~Carolyn
    DH~ Derek 6/5/09
    DD~ Olivia Dec. 2010
    DS~ Liam Sept. 2013


  5. #5
    Mega Poster grovey2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    out among the cornfields of IL
    Posts
    2,845

    Default

    **lurker**

    I also have GD and would probably go ahead and induce. HOWEVER, can you try some things to help your body along - like get your membranes stripped? Can you take the castor oil (just be near a bathroom incase your body isn't ready) Will they break your water and let you labor on your own before inducing? I was induced with my DD, but i was also 4cm at that time, so my body was ready. I didn't think it was this horrible experience so many talk about, infact i almost think my pitocin contrax were easier then my regular contrax. They usually don't let you go more then 39 wks with GD anyways..... i guess lots can happen, either you try to labor on your own and you end up with a c-section, get induced and wind up with a c-section, just have a c-section or get induced and have a vag dev. or labor on your own and have a vag. dev. You have to go with what's best for baby and your peace of mind.
    CristinaS82 likes this.
    Jules
    Sept IVF-BFN
    Nov FET- BFP!!
    Olivia Evelyn Teodora 7/16/11 9lbs 10oz, 20in
    April FET - BFP
     BabyFruit Ticker
    My DECEMBER 2013 SNOWBUNNY is a GIRL!

  6. #6
    Posting Addict CamelNoodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,274

    Default

    I would look at your Bishop's score -- what's the point of inducing if you will most likely end up with a c-section at this time?
    Bishop Score Induction Calculator | BabyMed.com
    Learn about the Bishop’s Score and its relationship to labor and delivery - www.hcpro.com
    baby4s&a and CristinaS82 like this.
    William 10/6/2004
    Visit his CaringBridge
    Joseph stillborn 01/08/2007
    Thomas 05/05/2008
    John 6/5/2010
    m/c 12/23/2012
    m/c 01/02/2014 twin angels

  7. #7
    Contributor CristinaS82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CamelNoodle View Post
    I would look at your Bishop's score -- what's the point of inducing if you will most likely end up with a c-section at this time?
    Bishop Score Induction Calculator | BabyMed.com
    Learn about the Bishop’s Score and its relationship to labor and delivery - www.hcpro.com
    According to my results from being checked today my Bishop score is 8 which is good for induction. Thanks for the calculator it was interesting and gave me that number. But I'm waiting til Monday and see if anything changes and baby moves down.
    DH- 04/23/05
    DS- 02/11/08 7 lbs 5 oz
    DD- 10/12/10 7 lbs 2 oz



    pregnancy calendar

  8. #8
    Contributor CristinaS82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    100

    Default

    So we discussed options today and I'm going to wait until Monday where he will do another ultrasound and hopefully LO might have moved down. Next week thou we will induce if he hasn't come cause I prefer to be safe then sorry. Besides that I know c-sec isn't the end of the world its just I have had 2 vag births and know how bad(DS birth) or easy that can be(DD birth), just scared of the unknown. Besides there is no guaranty that it will end in csec just a concern.
    So unless my water breaks or labor starts I will still be preggo til next week. Thank you ladies for the advice!!
    baby4s&a likes this.
    DH- 04/23/05
    DS- 02/11/08 7 lbs 5 oz
    DD- 10/12/10 7 lbs 2 oz



    pregnancy calendar

  9. #9
    Posting Addict baby4s&a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    8,905

    Default

    I've got everything crossed for you that you go this weekend and have one of the loveliest births out!!!
    CristinaS82 likes this.
    ~Steph~
    Harry - (Dec 05) Miller - (Feb 09)
    Missed M/C (Dec 07)
    Ectopic (Mar 12)
    Baby #3 due Oct 1st!!

  10. #10
    Contributor CristinaS82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baby4s&a View Post
    I've got everything crossed for you that you go this weekend and have one of the loveliest births out!!!
    That is so sweet! I so do hope we all have easy and great deliveries. Thank you!
    DH- 04/23/05
    DS- 02/11/08 7 lbs 5 oz
    DD- 10/12/10 7 lbs 2 oz



    pregnancy calendar

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions