QOTW (Jan 30)~the President is coming to visit

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
FLSunshineMom's picture
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859
QOTW (Jan 30)~the President is coming to visit

This is a 2-part question that may take some thought before you can answer:

A) If you received a phone call that the President of the United States and the First Lady wanted to come have dinner with you at your home one month from now (along with his entourage of body guards, etc.), for the purpose of seeing how people of varying backgrounds and cultures in the U.S. lived, what would you do to prepare for it? (i.e., deep clean, repaint the walls, landscaping, buying an outfit to wear, etc.) Or would you leave things pretty much "as is," so that they could get a true sense of how you lived?

Dirol What meal would you fix that would give them a taste of what food is like in your area? How would you decorate the table (dinnerware, centerpiece, etc.)?

Joined: 10/06/09
Posts: 183

Oh yikes! I'm sure we'd do some serious cleaning/neatening up, but no painting, landscaping etc, aside from maybe some fresh flowers for the table, or outside the front door, depending on the weather. Early March is usually still cold here, so I doubt it on the outside stuff.

As for food - I'd probably *want* to do something fancy, but I suspect they'd probably get a crockpot roast on the nice china. We might break out the good silver from my grandmother-in-law. We'd also have to make sure said G'ma-IL never found out about this visit, or she'd be putting together the society affair of the century! She lived to entertain in her younger days, and was definitely a country-club lady in her day. LOL

Truth is we're both too tired to do much more than that. There's not enough hours in the day.

FLSunshineMom's picture
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859

LOL @ your grandmother-IL. My ex-MIL was like that, but I tell you what, I sure did get some NICE meals/birthday parties at her house! Biggrin

As for WIWD.... First, we'd have to MOVE and give them our new address! ROFL

As for the meal, I'd probably do an array of seafood like fish, crab cakes, and shrimp, since that's what this area is known for Smile The dinnerware would be seafood-related -- they have these really cool plates you can get here that look like crabs, so those would be the plates for sure Wink and the centerpiece would be beach-oriented, i.e., seashells, etc. Smile

As for the outfit, Florida winter attire, of course, except it would be dressy casual.

Mamma_Bear_81's picture
Joined: 02/01/12
Posts: 173

I would love for the President and First Lady to come for a visit - especially since they would be coming to Canada Biggrin

We just moved into a new house in December so I'd want to rip out the blue carpet in the living/dining rooms much faster than we actually have planned. Aside from that, a good cleaning would do.

I think that I would serve stuffed chicken - with goats cheese and sundried tomatoes. It always goes over well. Not sure what would go with it, the cooking is usually my DH's forte. I like to bake and would lean towards a decadent chocolate cake or a truffle of some sort. We would use the good china of course.

I wish we could have Florida winter attire up here!

FLSunshineMom's picture
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859

"Mamma_Bear_81" wrote:

I would love for the President and First Lady to come for a visit - especially since they would be coming to Canada Biggrin

We just moved into a new house in December so I'd want to rip out the blue carpet in the living/dining rooms much faster than we actually have planned. Aside from that, a good cleaning would do.

I think that I would serve stuffed chicken - with goats cheese and sundried tomatoes. It always goes over well. Not sure what would go with it, the cooking is usually my DH's forte. I like to bake and would lean towards a decadent chocolate cake or a truffle of some sort. We would use the good china of course.

I wish we could have Florida winter attire up here!

That chicken with goats cheese and sundried tomatoes sounds very interesting! Do you have a recipe you can share? Biggrin And dessert, oh yes! Forgot about that... I'd probably do one of my famous (to my family, that is) chocolate cakes, too. With ice cream, of course.:)

Mamma_Bear_81's picture
Joined: 02/01/12
Posts: 173

I sure do!

Goat Cheese and Herb-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Ingredients:
2 ounces goat cheese
2 sun dried tomatoes finely chopped
1 scallion chopped
1 tbsp chopped basil
2 tsp chopped thyme
? cup dry bread crumbs
4 x ? lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 tsp reduced cal mayonnaise
Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 425?F. Spray a non-stick baking pan with non-stick spray
2. Combine the cheese, tomatoes, scallion, basil, and thyme in a bowl, mashing with a fork, until blended. Place the bread crumbs in another small bowl.
3. Cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast about 2 ? inches long. Place ? of the goat cheese mixture inside each slit. Lightly press the pocket closed with a fork. Brush the top side of each breast with the mayonnaise. Dip the chicken, one piece at a time, coated-side down into the bread crumbs. Transfer coated side up into the baking pan.
4. Spray the tops of the chicken lightly with non-stick spray. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the crust is golden, about 25 mins.

The recipe is from a Weight Watchers book. We really love it because it doesn't taste like diet food at all. If you like traditional breading, go for it and dip in in flour and egg instead of the light mayo. We have done it both ways. We also sub dry herbs for the fresh ones when we don't have any from the garden.
Enjoy!

FLSunshineMom's picture
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859

"Mamma_Bear_81" wrote:

I sure do!

Goat Cheese and Herb-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Ingredients:
2 ounces goat cheese
2 sun dried tomatoes finely chopped
1 scallion chopped
1 tbsp chopped basil
2 tsp chopped thyme
? cup dry bread crumbs
4 x ? lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 tsp reduced cal mayonnaise
Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 425?F. Spray a non-stick baking pan with non-stick spray
2. Combine the cheese, tomatoes, scallion, basil, and thyme in a bowl, mashing with a fork, until blended. Place the bread crumbs in another small bowl.
3. Cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast about 2 ? inches long. Place ? of the goat cheese mixture inside each slit. Lightly press the pocket closed with a fork. Brush the top side of each breast with the mayonnaise. Dip the chicken, one piece at a time, coated-side down into the bread crumbs. Transfer coated side up into the baking pan.
4. Spray the tops of the chicken lightly with non-stick spray. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the crust is golden, about 25 mins.

The recipe is from a Weight Watchers book. We really love it because it doesn't taste like diet food at all. If you like traditional breading, go for it and dip in in flour and egg instead of the light mayo. We have done it both ways. We also sub dry herbs for the fresh ones when we don't have any from the garden.
Enjoy!

Thanks! Smile

FLSunshineMom's picture
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859

PS: Would you mind replacing all the question marks (?) in the recipe with the correct words from the original copy? I can't figure out what some of them are supposed to be. I guess something happened in the translation when it got copied. Thanks.

Mamma_Bear_81's picture
Joined: 02/01/12
Posts: 173

I just saw that now. When I try to edit my post, it asks for a reason and then takes me to a navigation page. Do I have to re-enter it as a new post? Or did I do something wrong?

FLSunshineMom's picture
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859

"Mamma_Bear_81" wrote:

I just saw that now. When I try to edit my post, it asks for a reason and then takes me to a navigation page. Do I have to re-enter it as a new post? Or did I do something wrong?

If you're talking about the "Reason for editing," that is just an optional box. Ignore that and you should be able to edit your post in the box right above it (you may have to scroll back up to see it), then click on "Save" when you're done editing. Hope that helps.

Mamma_Bear_81's picture
Joined: 02/01/12
Posts: 173

I had a hard time editing and then I couldn't even post here for a few days so I switched to Internet Explorer and have no issues!

Here we go:
Goat Cheese and Herb-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Ingredients:
2 ounces goat cheese
2 sun dried tomatoes finely chopped
1 scallion chopped
1 tbsp chopped basil
2 tsp chopped thyme
Quarter cup dry bread crumbs
4 x Quarter lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 tsp reduced cal mayonnaise
Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Spray a non-stick baking pan with non-stick spray
2. Combine the cheese, tomatoes, scallion, basil, and thyme in a bowl, mashing with a fork, until blended. Place the bread crumbs in another small bowl.
3. Cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast about 2.5 inches long. Place a quarter of the goat cheese mixture inside each slit. Lightly press the pocket closed with a fork. Brush the top side of each breast with the mayonnaise. Dip the chicken, one piece at a time, coated-side down into the bread crumbs. Transfer coated side up into the baking pan.
4. Spray the tops of the chicken lightly with non-stick spray. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the crust is golden, about 25 mins.
Notes: Substitute fresh herbs for dry when needed. Brushing the chicken with mayo rather than dipping it in egg and flour saves times and cuts calories.

FLSunshineMom's picture
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859

"Mamma_Bear_81" wrote:

I had a hard time editing and then I couldn't even post here for a few days so I switched to Internet Explorer and have no issues!

Here we go:
Goat Cheese and Herb-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Ingredients:
2 ounces goat cheese
2 sun dried tomatoes finely chopped
1 scallion chopped
1 tbsp chopped basil
2 tsp chopped thyme
Quarter cup dry bread crumbs
4 x Quarter lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 tsp reduced cal mayonnaise
Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Spray a non-stick baking pan with non-stick spray
2. Combine the cheese, tomatoes, scallion, basil, and thyme in a bowl, mashing with a fork, until blended. Place the bread crumbs in another small bowl.
3. Cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast about 2.5 inches long. Place a quarter of the goat cheese mixture inside each slit. Lightly press the pocket closed with a fork. Brush the top side of each breast with the mayonnaise. Dip the chicken, one piece at a time, coated-side down into the bread crumbs. Transfer coated side up into the baking pan.
4. Spray the tops of the chicken lightly with non-stick spray. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the crust is golden, about 25 mins.
Notes: Substitute fresh herbs for dry when needed. Brushing the chicken with mayo rather than dipping it in egg and flour saves times and cuts calories.

Sorry you had trouble. Thank you! :giveflower: