Ugh.. The "C" word. (Updated June 15th)
There's a new twist in our story.
For those who read my earlier posts, skip forward a paragraph. For everyone else, here's the Coles Notes version: My husband found out in April 2011 that he had testicular cancer and had the offending testicle removed. We discussed many options back then, and decided to wait it out and see what the treatment plan was. The surgery went very well, and he's been considered in remission since May 2011, no need for chemo or radiation. The doctors planned to monitor him every 3 months for the first year, every 4 for the second, and he only just now graduated to every 6. They kind of flip flop between CT scans and MRIs, and they've been watching a couple of enlarged lymph nodes in various places throughout his torso. Back when we first found out, we discussed our "family plans" with almost every doctor we encountered. They said that losing a testicle (especially in his case) usually makes the other work in over-drive, and since he wouldn't be needing any drastic treatment, his fertility was unlikely to be affected.
Fast forward to yesterday: I was in another province for a vacation, DH had to work and stayed home. He had an MRI the week before I left and his follow up appointment was scheduled for the 27th (aka. has not even occurred yet). Every scan since his surgery in May 2011 has been great. It got to the point where it was kind of useless for me to take time off work to tag along for appointments because we kept getting good news. Yesterday, via FaceTime (not complaining about the delivery of the news), DH let me know that the lymph node that they were watching in one of his kidneys has grown, and that they want to do chemo. *sigh*
I really don't know what to think/say/do. I realize that all I can do is be there for him and make sure he has everything he needs/wants to get through treatment. We still don't even know how aggressive it'll be. With that said, we need to start taking the actions we discussed two years ago. He's already spoken to the fertility clinic, which has been great about it. All he has to do is call the day that he's ready to provide a "deposit" to be frozen and they'll get him that day. I don't know about other clinics in Ontario, but here, the insemination is free when you've frozen sperm. I don't know whether it was the radiologist or whoever he spoke to at the clinic, but apparently we're not even supposed to BD while he's going through chemo. He has a high libido, but something tells me that he probably wouldn't feel up to it anyways.
His appointment to find out when treatment begins is either late this week or early next week, and depending on when he starts, this will likely be our last cycle TTC for a bit if we even get to at all.
The good news in all of this is that treatment at this stage has a 95% success rate, and he has finally gotten a scare big enough that he truly understands the importance of a healthy lifestyle (like cancer isn't a big enough scare already). He has been referred to a Naturopathic Doctor (I already see one), and a nutritionist, and hopefully one of them can show him that living healthy doesn't have to be hard work if you're willing to commit!
Sorry for the short novel, I don't really have an outlet for this major stressor in my life. This is something that we haven't shared with friends and family..