I've spent a lot of time reading other people's journals and I find comfort in knowing that I'm not alone in this crazy TTC world that I've been living in for so long now.
DH and I were married Oct, 2001, after dating for four years. I'm now 29 and DH is 32. I have been off BC since July of 2002. At first we just decided to "let it happen," then we were building a house in 2003 and were actually actively "not trying" by staying away from each other during the time frame that I was likely fertile. After the house was built, we went back at it, but, by the fall of 2005, when we still weren't pregnant, we decided to take the next step. I started tests with my regular OB/GYN, b/w first, then a biopsy of my uterus, then an HSG, and a S/A for the DH. Everything was fine. My OB then told me I was going to have to see an RE b/c he had taken me as far as he could go.
After putting it off for several months, DH and I finally had our first consult with an RE in March, 2006. First, DH had to go through another S/A, b/c our RE did not feel that the previous lab had tested for all of the appropriate things. Come to find out, although the OB had said that DH's swimmers were plentiful, they had not tested for morphology and motility. At our second RE visit, we were advised that DH had low numbers for both - not good news. At that point, I was prescribed prenatal vitamins and DH was told to start taking Vitamin C daily.
Because according to our RE most infertile couples have multiple factors involved in their infertility, I was told that I should still undergo laproscopy so that the RE could "get in there" and see what was going on. Given that I had never had surgery, I was petrified. All I could think was, what if the anesthesia doesn't work for me? Ridiculous, I know... so I put it off....
I got serious in August, 2006 and decided it was time. I had surgery mid-August and found out that I have stage 1 endometrious and one irregularly shaped fallopian tube. For my RE, the endo was the big concern, although the fallopian tube issue apparently increases my chances of ectopic pregnancy. Combined with the male factors, we, as a couple, are just a mess!
Our RE told us at our post-surgery follow-up that if insurance covered it or we had the money, she would move us straight to IVF b/c of our time TTC combined with the issues we have. Not promising. I left the office that day and cried all the way home in the car. DH said, I don't care if it's you and me forever, having kids isn't going to make or break us. He is the best thing in my life, no question.
Nevertheless, we opted to start with meds and IUI. September, 2006, was round 1 at 75 mg of Clomid, with a trigger on CD 13, and IUIs on CD 13 and CD 15. Prometrium for 10 days thereafter. September = BFN.
I did, however, respond pretty well to Clomid with two good size follies on my CD 12 u/s that month. In light of that, my RE kept my dosage at 75mg. This month though I am only having one IUI due to the cost factor.
I am now on CD 6 for the October,2006 cycle. Thankfully, I had no S/E from Clomid this month and I go in on the 12th for my u/s.
I consider myself very lucky that I have very regular cycles and ovulate almost like clockwork on CD 14. I read so many stories of women overcoming obstacles of severe endo or PCOS and end up pregnant. I can only hope that I am so lucky.
We only intend to do IUI three more times tops, definitely twice more. Infertility treatments are so cost prohibitive that we will have to take a break and evaluate our options. It seems silly to throw thousands of dollars at IUI and meds when I could be saving that money for IVF or adoption.
So we'll see what happens.