I am 31 and so is DH. Initial testing shows there may be some issue with his sperm. He's gonna need more testing (poor baby). So far, my testing is coming out ok. Firstly, this is all stressing him out. Secondly, he is *kinda* morally against IVF and it looks like we may be heading that way. So things are really going to get interesting. Our next visit is probably going to be with the RE.
Our OB offered clomid, but if I am ovulating normally then the literature really doesn't agree with that. And I am not interested in purposefully putting myself through a twins pregnancy for no good reason. Plus, there are things like expense and other risks.
The next issue, is that I really don't want a twins pregnancy. Firstly, they are riskier for me and my 2.5 year old son still needs me. They are riskier for the baby. And the cost of TWINS!!! OMG!! Not to mention never sleeping again. So, we are looking at mini-IVF or Single Embryo Transfer (SET) if it is an option around where we live. Anyway, that is an update on how we are doing. The first RE that my OB referred us to does not do SET.
On the upside, we have a great son. If he was all we ever had, I would be happy, but we always imagined a bigger family.
If it's just an issue with his sperm and everything with you is fine you should be able to do IUI instead of IVF, shouldn't you?
We have (or had) MFI (male factor infertility) and my OB wanted to do IUI since everything with me was mostly fine, though I do ovulate irregularly. We waited and eventually managed to get pg on our own. Of course I don't know all of the issues you are facing so there may be other reasons why y'all are looking at IVF right away.
Whatever you end up doing, I wish you the best of luck and hope you get your BFP soon! KUP!
I agree with Anna. IUI is the place to start, and if it is ONLY male factor, you can push for an unmedicated IUI, which will significantly reduce the chance of multiples.
I totally understand where you are at. I'm coming up on the end of cycle 16, and this next cycle is my first IUI. The RE said they would be aiming for 2-4 eggs to mature, and I'm freaking out a little about that, too. I would be ok with twins, but the thought of trips or quads scares the CRAP out of me.
Good luck with finding an RE who will work with you. It is definitely worth doing the research to find one that you are comfortable with. Hopefully we'll both have our BFPs really soon.
2011/2012 - 1 M/C, 5 CPs
JLIH from here on out and leaving it in God's hands
MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools
So... at least according to what I have read unless his morphology gets better we are not good candidates for IUI and that IVF with ICSI would be what is recommended. IUI without drugs would be a heck of a lot cheaper than with them. We had my HSG this month (which is supposed to give a small but real bump in my pregnancy chances, so we'll keep our fingers crossed). We got pregnant on our own with #1, but it is hard not to be nervous about #2 after 15 months of trying. We haven't even met with the RE yet, but we were trying to have all our testing done first so we could hopefully move to treatment.
I read that with male factor infertility you're chances are only 4% per cycle of becoming pregnant, 5% with clomid and 9% with injected drugs. Apparently, if these are gonna work they work in the earliest cycles and your chances go down sharply after 4-5 months of trying this method. IUI is still preferred for mild male factor, but at least based on the data from one sperm sample that is not what we are dealing with.
Next step is another sperm sample and possibly a visit to the urologist.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. These decisions are not easy to make! The main reason we have not done IUI (as recommended) is because of the risk of multiples. Even when they tell you it's only 10%, don't you just know you would fall into that 10?!!
I hope when you talk to the RE you get some good info that helps you make your decision.
For what it's worth, I ovulate on my own every month, and next month will be TTC month 8 for me. (I took a test this morning--negative). I already saw an RE b/c of my age (35) and he is also having me do 50mg Clomid next month from CD 3-7. I asked about that too given that Oing isn't my problem--he indicated it's for testing purposes--monitoring my FSH and allowing them to check ovarian reserves. Is it possible that's why they want you on it? Also, he told me the increased risk of a twins pregnancy is 7%.
That may be true.. I guess I am just going to wait to see the RE before making any decisions about drugs. I know my OB and she is well-meaning... but I know she is not doing it for monitoring purposes. After more than a year of trying I am just soooo tired. What is funny is I know I will miss these days after I am pregnant again.