The VBAC ban was recently lifted in my area. Does anyone have a good list of questions to ask regarding having a VBAC with the next pregnancy? I am still early but I want to be prepared. I am using the same OB that I did with my DD and am OK with switching if he is not supportive. I just want to make sure I have the appropriate questions to ask.
Rebecca - I'm not exactly sure what to ask honestly. I guess how long past your DD will they let you try for a VBAC. My OB told me like a week. Is your OB the only one to do VBACs? What happens if you go into labor and your OB isn't on call - will the on call OB do it?
In my case my OB is only 1 of 2 that will do VBACs at my hospital. And I'm due around Christmas when everyone will be out of town. And if I don't get in and out of the hospital by 12/31 then I will have to pay my $1000 deductible for each year. So there are lots of variables in my decision and its a really hard choice to make!
My OB was VERY supportive of my decision to try for a VBAC. He actually told me he was going to suggest it had I not brought it up first. We discussed why some drs are not supportive, but he pretty much brushed it off and focused on why I should try - it never even occurred to me that I would get a dr at the time of delivery who was less than supportive. But that's what happened - the on-call OB was NOT a VBAC fan at all...she did everything in her power to dissuade me. In the end, I stood my ground and had a successful VBAC and couldn't be happier.
All that to say, make sure that not only your dr is ok with it, but also find out how the other drs in the practice feel about it. It may not change your mind, but it helps to be prepared - her resistence threw me for a loop at a time when I was already nervous.
Another question is what they will do to help "induce" without the use of Pitocin or other drugs, if you need it. My OB told me that they would not use Pit, but that they had other options besides resorting to an immediate c/s - such as artifically rupturing of membranes.
Assuming your OB is VBAC supportive, ask if he/she feels like you are a good VBAC candidate. Depending on your reason for needing a c/s the first time, you may or may not be a "good" candidate.