This board is so quiet.
I'm getting close to VBAC time again. i'm excited and anxious. i want to try to go sans drugs all together this time. i made it so close last time and just wore out. i'm praying that this labor is shorter and with the shorter time i'm seriously thinking i can do without an epi.
Doc is the only one in his practice. and he's the ONLY one in his support on-call group that will do a VBAC. he's on vacation this week which is great its now and not in a few weeks. He did talk to the doctor that's standing in for him about me and if my water were to break that i could do a VBAC. he was going to try to convinece him of my abilities.
I asked him about when i went into labor and he wasn't on-call would the other doctors support me since i'd done a VBAC before and he's like no. i'm going to make myself available to you. I love my doctor.
so now i'm slightly worried. what if when i call into his office they don't call him and just call the on-call doctor? what if the hopsital doesn't call him. i know the other doctors won't support me, well i don't know this but that's what my doc told me. sigh.....
do you really think that if i show up at 8 cm or beyond they'd force me into a c/s?
though they can't can they if i don't sign anything....right?
So these are the things i'm going to start very soon (i want baby to come AFTER 8/20 when my Mom arrives but it has to come before 8/29 - the 40 week cutoff):
- RRL tea (well actually i've been drinking about 24oz a day for a couple of weeks now)
- EPO vaginaly after Tuesday's doc appointment (36 weeks) cause it the GBS test - praying its negative. i'll do 1 caplete for weeks 36 & 37 and 38, 2 caplets for a few days of 39 and then i'll do 3......i went into labor the day after i did the 3 caplets with DS2
- i'll start nipple stimulation at 39 weeks
- trying to walk
what other ideas do you guys have?
:bighug: I try to pop in here once or twice a week! I'm done with having babies but I'm here for support. :p
That's great that your doctor is on board with your VBAC, and too bad his cohorts aren't. The good news is that you don't have to accept any of them, and they can't force you into surgery. (I can provide more on this, or you can search the older threads on this board.) The hospital has to call whomever you tell them to call, and they can't call anyone you don't authorize. If your doctor isn't available for some reason, I'd say take your chances with the hospital's residents rather than get someone you know will be hostile. And again, they can't cut you if you don't let them, even if it's against hospital policy; when you're in active labor, you can't be forced to transfer, and they are legally obligated to abide by your wishes.
I'm not sure why you say 40 weeks is a cutoff. Is that just your "I want to be done" date in your mind, or has your doctor said you "must" deliver by then? What is his plan if you don't? Have your other babies been early or late? Remember that the decision to induce or RCS has to be your decision, it's not his to make. :bighug:
I did the EPO, or maybe it was grapefruit seed extract. I think I started with one capsule twice a day for weeks 36 & 37, then two capsules twice a day for weeks 38 & 39, then two capsules three times a day from then on. And also take them orally, the prostaglandins can help that way, too.
Homeopathics starting at week 40, alternating caullophyllum & cimcifuga daily. I don't remember the dose, whatever my midwife said, LOL. Maybe 3 pellets four times per day? And then when labor started I alternated them hourly to help keep things going strong.
Nipple stimulation, it didn't do much for me before labor started, but really picked things up when labor stalled.
Sex, lots of sex. Not necessarily to induce labor, but because it was fun (pregnant orgasms are sooooo awesome!) and I knew it would be a while before we'd get back to it. :p
Acupuncture & acupressure
Castor oil, which is awful & I don't recommend it unless you're starting to feel desperate. But I have a recipe to disguise it that isn't bad...
I think that most of us hang out in the Birthing Naturally board since this one is so quiet.
The 40 weeks thing is generally because outcomes from VBACs are found to be worse for moms who go past 40 weeks...it's even in the ACOG guidelines.
I have mine coming up too.
Be careful with EPO, it has prostaglandins in it (which is why it works), and with VBACs, of course, the use of prostaglandins can increase the risk of uterine rupture. Its why its not advised to use cytotec or misoprostol...the risk of rupture can go as high as 6%.
yeah my Doc is awesome though about teh VBAC stuff. he'll have me come in on my due date and see what's going on. if labor is emminent he'll leave me be. if its not then we'll schedule a c/s.
My dates by LMP put me at the 29th, early ultrasounds put me at the 24/25th, so my doc decided to use the farther out date to help my VBAC dream along.
My first son i went into labor the day he was due (actually it was the day after but it was midnight). DS2 came 3 days before he was due. so this babe.....who knows. but i'm guessing it will be near my due date as well.
I haven't started the EPO yet. i guess part of me is nervous to start it too soon since i don't want to go into labor untill after the 20th. so maybe i'll wait until the 16th or so and start with 1 caplet and then after the 20th i'll do 2.
There's plenty of evidence out there now that supports a "mild" induction for VBAC over a repeat c-section. The VBAC protocol is to start the Pitocin lower than for a normal induction, and turn it up more slowly and at a lesser increase, and turn it down or off once your contractions get regular so your body can then progress on its own. If your body is favorable, you might consider insisting on that, first.
I know this thread isn't active but I wanted to say that my OB just told me the same thing this week. He said Pit is safe a low, steady doses for VBAC patients. He isn't sure he would do that for me but would consider it.
Originally Posted by Spacers