We are doing IVF with ICSI for male infertility related issues. We did 4 rounds of clomid with IUI which were unsuccessful and expensive. Hopefully this is going to work. My insurance covers it but we are still spending $4000 plus some portion of the drugs. We are still around 6 weeks away from egg retrieval (I think).
One big debate in our mind is whether we will do single embryo transfer (SET) vs. transferring two. The data is coming out in favor of SET, just end up needing more embryo transfers usually. Frozen embryos do not do as well obviously. But there are real health risks with twins and mom, plus raising twins would be daunting.
Anyone else thought about SET?
Also just praying that this is going to work. We have been longer than 2 years down the "trying" road. I know it has been longer for some of you.
I will (fingers crossed) be transferring 2 embryos. Because of my age my RE gave me an option too, but I would not mind having twins and at the same time would love to increase my chance of getting pg (we are paying 100% out of pocket.) I think it is the matter of personal preference and what you think is best for you. Also, I don't like to even think about this, there is a chance that embryos will not be a good/great quality. In that case most REs will want to transfer more than one if more than one is available.
Hope this helps
Last edited by Mimi83; 03-30-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Me 30 & DH 38 - Married 02/21/2003
TTC #1 since March 2008
1st IVF - February/March 2012-Cancelled due to low response
2nd IVF - March/April-BFN
Surprise natural BFP on Mother's Day 5/11/2014
I transferred two my 2nd cycle and 1 my last cycle (since that's all we had). I felt the odds of one of them implanting with transferring two was a lot higher. I would've been happy either way, with one or two babies.
IVF #1-cancelled d/t embryos arresting before transfer (3/09)
IVF #2-BFP 9wks-7/30/09 (6/09)
IVF #3-BFN (5/10)
Agree with everything others have said. Both times, we have transferred 2 and plan to do so again this time (Lord willing).
11/11 - 1st Fresh IVF attempt BFN
02/12 - FET BFN
04/12 - 2nd Fresh IVF attempt BFP
4weeks 2 days
9/12 - 3rd Fresh IVF attempt BFN
7/13 - 4th Fresh IVF attempt BFP
8 weeks due to chromosonal issues - A boy, Joseph Samuel
Hi there! I wish you much luck on your ivf journey!
Like Mimi, we're hoping to transfer 2 embryos as well. I've also struggled with this decision but in the end we decided that we would would be more than ecstatic to have twins. Plus, we've already had time to get used to the idea since we were pregnant with twins before. I'm still nervous about the health risks especially since I've had 3 m/c already but at this point I want to do everything I can to increase our chances.
I'm sending you lots of positive vibes your way! Good luck!
Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear of your unsuccessful IUI's and long efforts of TTC.
I understand and relate to your concerns regarding how many embryos to transfer. I too worry about the risk of complications with twins. But, there are so many twin pregnancies that go along without a problem, too.
When I think about this for myself, I have been considering if I (and DH) would be willing to raise twins, if that is what happened. I am not looking to have multiples, but I think I am willing to take the risk, but DH....I don't think so. It didn't come up last cycle (we only had 1 embryo), but if it happens this time, I do not plan on pushing him into transferring two if he is not comfortable with that. He is really going for #3-to this extent-all for me. My reasoning in transferring two is that I want to maximize our success rates in having at least ONE implant, and I am older and have multiple issues. It was very hard to have the first cycle fail. On the other hand, we already have two children and I do have concerns about how a complicated pregnancy or health issues with twins might affect them. But, I think our chance of two succeeding is a long shot, anyway.
I am probably not helping you at all, am I?! But these decisions are difficult!
I think your doctor can give you statistics on how likely you are to succeed, based on your age and ovarian reserve, etc. and embryo quality at time of transfer and that should help you decide. But definitely think about the possible risks with a multiple pregnancy, and caring for twins and whether you are willing to accept that. It is definitely a personal decision.
Sounds like we will have our ER at similar times. Mine should be 5-6 weeks from now, if everything goes well. Keep us posted!
I wanted to wish people good luck on upcoming cycles.
**Pregnancy/Child Mentioned below**
We were starting our first IVF cycle around this time last year. At that time we were struggling with the decision to transfer one embryo or two. In the end, we ended up transferring one embryo and freezing six embryos. The main reasons we decided to transfer only one were 1) we wanted to avoid increasing chance of twins, etc, 2) my clinic had good success rate for single embryo transfers with my age group (late 20's to early 30's), 3) our infertility issues were largely male factor (low sperm count, poor morphology, etc), 4) we had infertility insurance coverage that would cover about one and a half attempts. We were able to conceive our son with that one embryo transfer. We feel very fortunate to have him, however he is a high need child (needs a lot of attention, seems fussier than most babies, and we've been struggling with reflux and diet sensitivities) so I cannot imagine trying to juggle two babies right now. I suppose people with twins do not know any different because they learn to adjust to the demands of two babies. If we decide to do a FET in the future we will probably only transfer one per attempt because I think my son has removed any tiny desire for me to ever want twins...really I love my son though Anyway that is just my story. Everyone comes to the IVF table with different issues and desires so single embryo transfer may not be for everyone because you are putting a lot of weight on that one embryo.
I just started on marvelon (bc pills) to begin process of IVF. I have endo cysts - one which is quite large and likely interfering with my left ovary. As a result my FSH is already more elevated and my understanding was that the fertility dr wanted to put 2-3 into me, due to my issues plus I'll be 41 in a few days.
I understand that SET is quite successful, so worth considering if you don't have other reproductive issues. I suggest and open and frank discussion with the RE on this.
*** child mentioned ***
We are in the bcp part of our IVF cycle too. Going to start lupron on Sunday night. The drugs are at the local FedEx facility now. I just had about 8 tubes of blood drawn, mostly tests that doctors do after you are pregnant (for STDs, RH factor, etc.) Monday is my pap smear. Stupid stuff. I hate missing work for stuff like that, which I would happily get done if I were actually pregnant. It is hard to be that hopeful.
We have a son who is three years old, xintagreen. He was a terrible sleeper, colicky and did not sleep through the night for at least a year. The idea of twins is not all that attractive, but never having a sibling for our first is not attractive either.
Kara, my husband is also not really on board with a two embryo transfer. I think if we had as many embryos as you we would definitely go for SET. If we only have two embryos that will make the decision more difficult, because though our clinic does have some success with SET, frozen embryos do not have the same implantation rate as fresh embryos. Our RE is all for SET, but the choice is ours.