OHSS is serious. I am glad you are being monitored. I had/have a mild case of it and that was bad enough. Has the doc talked to you about what will happen if you get pg with OHSS? Usually it comes back and stays through most of the first trimester. My ovaries were around 90mm each at the peek of my OHSS and are now about 40mm. Has you doc talked to you about staying on bed rest longer? gatorade? etc.?
Not that this is foremost on everyone's mind, but yea!!! I am feeling so, so much better today. I haven't taken any pain medicine since the middle of the night and the worst is a very, very mild crampy/bloated feeling. The doctor was right when he forecast I would be significantly better on Friday! Feeling much better about hosting an embryo now. Transfer still set for tomorrow. Embryos still looked good as of yesterday, so we will see how things are by tomorrow.
Kadibug-I don't have OHSS at all, to my knowledge. I had an internal bleed from the retrieval on Monday. But thanks for all your advice anyway.
We transferred one blastocyst this morning. Per the doctor, statistically there wasn't a huge difference in success between transferring 1 or 2 (50 vs.60%), but if I did get pg, a 30% chance of twins. That was enough for my husband said absolutely no to transferring 2. The doctor was 100% supportive of that and said that with how well the freezing process is now, you really don't lose anything by freezing the embryos.
A very small part of me is disappointed. I wouldn't have minded twins if that's what happened. But, I know in the big picture it was definitely the right choice for us together. So now, we just wait and see.
The nurse asked me afterwards if I was excited. I said not exactly, because I'd done this before and it didn't work. She then told me she'd done 4 IVF's, then 2 IVF's with donor eggs and on the last one, got her twin boys. She said she just knew that somehow, she was just meant to have those two boys and wouldn't change it for anything. So I left the surgery center feeling so happy for this woman who had gone through so much. It really made me feel at peace with whatever was meant to be for me.
Will be resting here most of the next 3 days, so waiting for updates from everyone else!
How exciting! Congrats on being PUPO
11/11 - 1st Fresh IVF attempt BFN
02/12 - FET BFN
04/12 - 2nd Fresh IVF attempt BFP
4weeks 2 days
9/12 - 3rd Fresh IVF attempt BFN
7/13 - 4th Fresh IVF attempt BFP
8 weeks due to chromosonal issues - A boy, Joseph Samuel
Isn't it amazing how each clinic is so different. I went to my ET expecting to transfer 1 and we did 2... and it worked out the opposite for you. This might sound crazy, but the way I look at it is either it took or it didn't and we are just waiting to find out.
It is funny how each clinic is different. The doctor was happy to transfer one because we had several that were good quality, but his first recommendation was to transfer 2, freeze 2.
The real issue is my husband's firm resolve that we do not have twins. He doesn't exactly share my dream of a huge family. I do think he'd be overwhelmed by twins. He's always had cold feet when I've wanted to TTC, even with the first one. Of course he's always been happy when we get pg and he adores our kids once they arrive, especially as they are getting older. He also gets all worried about money, whereas I grew up in a family with 4 kids and we managed to make it work just fine. Anyway, I've known all along I wouldn't push him to transfer 2, I just wished he would have changed his mind.
The funny thing to me is that he gets so worried about it, confident that we would get pg with 2, as though I've been super fertile lately or something!
Good luck to you as you wait it out! Hope the time goes fast for you.
Kara, we are sort of struggling with this right now, except in my case, we will have to transfer more than one due to my age factor. The question is whether to do 2, 3 or 4. We really only want one, twins would be acceptable but very risky due to the fact I'm a kidney transplant recipient, and no way do we want triplets or more. Sure, there's selective reduction but to me that's such a huge ethical dilemma that I don't want to ever have to deal with that.
Good luck!! Sending you sticky vibes!!!!
Congrats on being PUPO!!! Sounds like you made the best decision for you and DH with transferring one embie. When is your beta?
IVF #1-cancelled d/t embryos arresting before transfer (3/09)
IVF #2-BFP 9wks-7/30/09 (6/09)
IVF #3-BFN (5/10)
As long as most of you feels good about the ET decision, no regrets! I had to transfer more than one b/c my egg quality and quantity is bad. (bfp ment) We only ended up with one embryo in the u/s though.