Hi - Intro (loss ment)

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
celticbandgeek's picture
Joined: 06/14/10
Posts: 950
Hi - Intro (loss ment)

Well, it looks like I'm coming to play over here, ladies. I've been lurking around here for months at this point. For those who don't know me, I'm Jean and I've been hanging around the boards for about 2 years now. I'm 41, DH is 49 and we'll be celebrating our 2nd anniversary in June.

Over the last year or so we've had 4 CPs and one M/C. Definitely a roller coaster. The CPs were all on natural cycles at various points during the process. We started working with an RE last June, did 2 IUIs in the fall (the 2nd was successful but led to the m/c). We did another IUI in March. And this past cycle was SUPPOSED to be IUI, but we canceled it when only one egg was likely to release, and that was on the side where my tube is blocked according to HSG. Unfortunately, of the 4 planned IUI cycles, only one resulted in an ovulation on the unblocked side....that was the m/c. Murphy's Law has been hard at work.

We'd really like to give IUI a few more chances to get things going on the open side, but we feel like the clock is really ticking at this point and we aren't getting any younger. Plus, with the track record of CPs, it isn't looking like the eggs being released are particularly healthy. So, we're going on to IVF with CCS (at this practice they've dropped calling it PGD, in favor of Comprehensive Chromosomal Screening. Alphabet soup. Wink )

This is a one-shot-deal for us. My insurance would pay for several more IVF attempts, but will not pay for the CCS. Since we believe damaged eggs are the issue - they've tested everything on both of us and found nothing wrong - there is no point in us doing IVF without the CCS. After much discussion, we are not willing to use donor eggs and/or sperm. And DH is not open to adoption. So, we're "all in" on this one. No pressure or anything....

I know you ladies know all about the different protocols. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. We're really into a 2-cycle deal with this. Estrogen priming/antagonist protocol. Retrieval and transfer sometime mid-June. I'm looking forward to getting out of lurker mode and getting to know you all better. I've seen what a great support network there is here!

DancingNancy's picture
Joined: 08/30/11
Posts: 520

Welcome. Big hugs for your journey so far.

Joined: 04/21/08
Posts: 1063

Welcome... hope this goes well for you.

yipeeladybug's picture
Joined: 01/18/06
Posts: 1214

Jean, *hugs* good luck on IVF!!

meggyrn's picture
Joined: 02/16/09
Posts: 2263

Welcome. I'm sorry for all your losses :bigarmhug: You've gone through a lot. I hope IVF is the answer for you. It seems like you have a good plan in place. Feel free to ask any questions you have. That's what we're here for!

kadibug's picture
Joined: 07/17/11
Posts: 247

I know what you mean - this is it! We didn't have any insurance coverage for IF treatments, so this IVF is it for us... we didn't have one to freeze either. Adoption is also something my dh doesn't have a desire for. We are all nervous wrecks (you, me, and everyone is this last step)!

Good luck to you!

WhiteWolf68's picture
Joined: 02/06/09
Posts: 505

Jean, I've been thinking of you. I'm glad you'll be doing IVF. Our insurance doesn't cover CCS (PGD) at all, so we opted out. I'll be praying for a BFP for you & lots of eggs leftover.

/hugs

Jennifer

celticbandgeek's picture
Joined: 06/14/10
Posts: 950

Looks like Murphy decided on another surprise for us before going to IVF. Apparently the tube we thought was blocked is actually open. Sounds like good news? Not so much.

Went for beta Tuesday at the end of last cycle...I had been spotting since Sunday so I just figured AF was on her way. Nurse called Tuesday afternoon and said beta was "likely negative." Huh? Didn't really think the answer would be that ambiguous. :eek: Very low hCG, and they figured it was leftover still from a "booster" trigger they had me take when my progesterone measured low a few days after O. Beta yesterday...doubled, although still super duper low, with very low progesterone, and AF kicked in full throttle a little bit after that.

So, another CP. It's getting a little unbelievable at this point. Now I have to wait for hCG to decide to go back down, and keep my fingers crossed that it does and this isn't an ectopic instead. I got for more b/w tomorrow morning to see where we're at.

Not sure what it'll do for the IVF timeframe, but I'm guessing it'll push it back.

meggyrn's picture
Joined: 02/16/09
Posts: 2263

I'm so sorry for another loss and that you have to be going through this. I hope you can find some answers soon and be on your way to a healthy pregnancy.

celticbandgeek's picture
Joined: 06/14/10
Posts: 950

Thanks Meg. This has been insane and I'm so frustrated right now. We just wanted to take one more shot before moving to IVF, and now we might have a real mess instead. Sad Beta went up again today. Not a full double, and still way lower than they'd want even a first beta to be. But the fact it is still going up after a short-but-convincingly-heavy AF is concerning to all involved. It appears to possibly be ectopic. Because the beta number is so extremely low, they are hoping that it is going to essentially take care of itself. But of course they'll be watching it closely....and of course that means no IVF until things are resolved.

I'm going back and forth between completely upset this happened and really angry that it did. I just wanted one more try at avoiding IVF, and I feel like karma or something is coming back at me for being so stubborn about it. I guess that probably sounds kind of dumb, but I'll blame the hormones for being slightly irrational at the moment. :bonkself:

Jean

WhiteWolf68's picture
Joined: 02/06/09
Posts: 505

So sorry Jean. Sad I know that feeling of wanting to give things one more try. Do they know what is causing the CP's yet? Hopefully it's not ectopic.

Joined: 03/02/07
Posts: 473

Hi Jean. I guess I never responded to your thread in the first place. Sorry! I know what you mean about trying to avoid IVF....it was a really difficult decision for me. Despite what the doctors were telling me, I always had this little hope.....Sorry for all your losses and the recent CP. I hope it is not ectopic and that is resolves quickly on its own. Don't feel bad for wanting the extra chance before taking the step to IVF.....it's a big step and you've been so close, so many times. I will agree about the hormones, though, I know they make me somewhat irrational!

Welcome over here at any rate. I hope you find support like I have when you start IVF.